Day 2

September 22, 2010

Day 2 post surgery. The pain has greatly lessened. I took my last painkillers last night at 8 pm so hopefully I’m done with those. Still very painful if not elevated - so I think I’ll keep it elevated. Wondering how the stitches look - wish I could see them.

According to the initial plan, I am 19 or so days from a boot. That seems awfully quick to me. I am NOT planning on going through this again so I plan to be very conservative! Thanks for all the earlier feedback. Btw if anyone like non-fiction - American Buffalo is a great read.

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

7 Comments Add your own

• 1. philc  |  September 22nd, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Hi .

you want to be conservative ?
    I have a cast on till 15th oct (had surgery on 3rd sept) and then another cast or splint before I can start on the boot……
    not thats what i call conservative!!!
    All my surgeons idea .

Im a bit frustrated be the lenght of time in the cast be he is adamant.

PHIL

• 2. elsurfer  |  September 22nd, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Drewt,

You’ll find the protocols vary widely here. 20 days to a boot doesn’t sound unreasonable depending on how much weight they are/aren’t going to allow you to have while in the boot. Also, the type of boot they put you that allows various angles of flexion will play into it as well. I was in a splint/cast for 35 days with adjusted angles every two weeks.

You really don’t want to look at the scars/stitches. I was stuck in a cast and by the time it came off, most of it healing was done and there were just some scabs to naturally flake off. I was thankful that I didn’t have to obsess over that while in the cast.

Stay strong.

• 3. dtaylor  |  September 22nd, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thanks philc. I appreciate the perspective. My surgeon is in his late 30s. My wild guess is that yours is in his 60s? I think I’d like to be somewhere in between my 20 days and your 60.

• 4. dtaylor  |  September 22nd, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Thanks elsurfer. I guess I didn’t think about the weight bearing on the boot. That’s probably important! Would be greatbif the wound was pretty healed up when I get this off. I generally heal up pretty well but just kinda strange to not know how it is healing.

• 5. normofthenorth  |  September 23rd, 2010 at 5:30 am

Drew, there are many situations where going slowly and resisting change is safer, and the word “conservative” makes sense in those situations. But in ATR recovery, with and without surgery, there are probably some IDEAL rehab-protocol schedules (maybe one for non-op and one for each kind of surgery?) that produce the best results, while going faster OR slower produces worse outcomes.

Mind you, nobody actually KNOWS what those ideal schedules are, but we’ve got some evidence from some good studies that points in the general direction. I like to steer people toward bit.ly/UWOProtocol for one schedule that produced good results recently in 145 patients, half post-op and half non-op. If you’re PWB when you get the boot, at 3 weeks, you’ll be a week slower than that schedule.

In the old days, everybody went slower, and outcomes were generally worse — including re-rupture rates! Was that more “conservative”? This site has a number of links to studies on (e.g.) early weight-bearing, and they generally showed either better or identical results. Putting weight on your healing leg also means eliminating the risk of falling on crutches, not to mention the lifestyle and psychological benefits of being able to carry stuff and do stuff. . .

You’re not wrong to be worried about re-rupturing during the first few months, but I think you’re wrong to think that lingering in a cast is the solution to that concern.

• 6. normofthenorth  |  September 23rd, 2010 at 5:32 am

BTW, how’d you manage to switch back and forth between drewt and dtaylor as handles?? I think johanna, aka “firstdayofsummer”, pulled off a similar feat. Two separate logins, or what?

• 7. dtaylor  |  September 23rd, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. I’m sure that you’re right - I’m just totally gun-shy at this point. On the name, I set up a user name and then had another set up for me when my original was missed in the email. If I had some time to think about it I should have been drewofthesouth.