Yo Mom…you missed my heel!

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

6.2 miles….I just may be crazy.

Filed under: Uncategorized — dreams at 12:09 pm on Sunday, May 30, 2010

So my wound completely healed up after the second surgery, but my PT is having a hard time getting rid of the scar tissue.  Because of this, or perhaps just in addition to this, I have developed tendinitis.   I am usually ok if I don’t wear anything with a back on it, but I’m still having problems with swelling (although the swelling has really stayed confined to the area around my scar tissue, and that little knobby bone on the outside of my ankle).

My surgeon says that for now I’m better off pushing through the pain of the tendinitis in order to keep progressing with my muscle strength and flexibility.  I have a high pain tolerance, so I really don’t mind this, however I am looking for some advice.  I have been walking 2-4 miles every other day in preparation of walking a 10k on June 12th.  I have always been an active person, but I have never been a part of such an event  - even before my injury.  I REALLY want to finish in under 2 hours (a time that would have been almost laughably easy pre-rupture).  I’m looking for any advice I can get on how to make sure I am ready for the big day.  I plan to ice the night before and stretch really well in the morning.  I have been taking NSAIDS after I walk for pain and swelling, but is it worth it to take them before?  Also- would it be helpful to ice or heat the morning of the ‘race’.  I plan on asking my PT these same questions, but I am looking for advice from those who have ‘been there- done that’.

Also- has anyone else experiences a problem of lowered expectations from those around you.  I am frustrated with people giving me ‘permission to fail’ just because of my injury.  It’s much harder to push through to a goal when everyone else is okay with you failing.  It has given me a great new perspective as a teacher.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

8 Comments »

117

Comment by josher47

May 30, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I probably wouldn’t ice the morning of the 10k unless you have a lot of swelling (then do it well before the start), however make sure that you are warmed-up and ready to go. I recently did a race and I found it helpful to do a light warm-up, stretch, and even a light massage on my achilles just to keep it loose and ready to go. If it is going to be warm or humid make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout the race. You will do great. As for the lowered expectations, I simply ingore them. It is hard for others to understand this injury unless they have experience with it. Place high expectations for yourself instead.

119

Comment by normofthenorth

May 30, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

Fascinating stuff about the expectations. I have no wisdom on the running stuff or the NSAIDS etc.

“Pushing through” AT tendon pain makes me nervous, but your surgeon probably knows what he’s doing/saying.

120

Comment by tomtom

May 30, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

Dreams - The one piece of advice that I’ll mention is that you probably don’t want to try anything different the night before or morning of the race that you haven’t done during training. If you think icing, heat, or NSAIDS may help, then I would test it out a couple of times during your training so that you don’t find out any negative reactions during the race.

Good luck and have fun!

121

Comment by dreams

May 30, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

Josher- thanks for the advice…We plan on taking a 10 minute stroll before we stretch the morning of.

Norm- I think she is not concerned because the pain is related to my scar tissue and some tendinitis, and seems to be completely different from any Achilles pain I had earlier in the PT process.

TomTom - that’s one of the reasons I was asking now- I want to try a few different things over the course of the next two weeks.

Thanks - Deanne (aka DREAMS)

124

Comment by mari

May 30, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

No NSAIDS before or after a race. That’s what my coach says.

126

Comment by 2ndtimer

May 31, 2010 @ 9:31 am

I wonder what helps to bring the strength of the calf back more: walking long distances, or short duration heavy lifting aka heel lifts. I had the impression that long walks (more than an hour) may irritate the tendon without perhaps really doing much for the calf??

127

Comment by normofthenorth

May 31, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

I’ve heard that the two “heads” of the calf muscle have different strength profiles — the soleus does long-range sustained strength, and the gastroc is more about “peak” power for short times. If that’s true, then their best strength-building probably resembles their strengths.

128

Comment by dreams

June 4, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Norm and 2ndTimer - you’ve both peaked my interest. I am generally a short period of time (45min), fast pace walker. I am doing the 6.2 mile walk as a personal goal. My ‘training’ has consisted of mainly shorter walks (2-4 miles) every other day often followed by a different cardio. I guess I will see next week how that translates.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI