Yo Mom…you missed my heel!

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Some shoe advice

Filed under: Uncategorized — dreams at 7:35 pm on Saturday, May 15, 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve been on…but I’m looking for some advice.  I’m almost 7 months post op (the first operation, and 12 weeks out on a second operation to clean out some scar tissue and fix an internal stitch that was causing a lot of irritation.   My strength and flexibility is getting to the point where I could really kick up the exercise; the problem is that I am still having a lot of issues with scar tissue.

My scar is just to the inside of my left ankle.  Unfortunately the bulk of the scar tissue build up is the spot where the top of my Nike tennis shoes hit.  I have  pair of backless tennis shoes, but they don’t have enough arch support, and the fact that they are completely backless makes it hard to walk briskly, hit high speeds on the cross-trainer, or even use the Stairmaster.  I’m looking for a pair of tennis shoes that has good support, but has a bit lower rise in the back.  I really only need something that is a quarter to half inch lower than my current shoes.

In addition, has anyone run into this problem.  My PT thinks I still need some work on my scar tissue (I’m at the point now where flexibility, and strength are things I can work on my own).  Unfortunately, my insurance only covers 25 PT visits a year.  I have 2 left.  Is it worth it to pay for subsequent visits out of pocket, or with the scar tissue break down on its own (I realize that this may take longer, I just don’t know how many appointments I could afford on my own).

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

6 Comments »

111

Comment by smish3

May 16, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Deanne: Have you tried on a pair of Fivefingers yet? They don’t look like they would work but they are actually ALL I wear now. I use to only wear really expensive running shoes. I also had custom orthotics. After all of my Achilles problems and surgeries I started doing research on the barefoot running/walking movement. I have had to rethink everything I have ever been told about what shoes to run in and how to run. I did 8 miles in them last weekend and I had NO pain at all afterwords. The Fivefingers claim to work for all feet types. I don’t know if that is true. I have very narrow feet with really high arches and I am quite sensitive on the back of my heels because I had a lot of work done where the Achilles attaches to the bone on both legs. I pretty much live in the shoes now and I am trying to get different colors to match my wardrobe a little better. Hee hee! I have not tried the new Bikilas yet. Haven’t been able to get my hands on a pair. They are new and specifically designed for running.I have the KSOs.
For scar tissue, my therapist did Graston on me. It was brutal at the time but I could see and feel a big difference when he was done. Happy healing!

-Smish

112

Comment by 2ndtimer

May 16, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

I can not help you with shoes, but I got 2 pairs of “Cleo Crocks”, (http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,default,pd.html?cid=282&cgid=women-footwear )
one for outdoors, one for indoors that I am in love with. They are not the bulky kind, they do not fall off my foot if I walk fast, they provide enough arch support and softness for the heel, and it is like being barefoot just better. I think it helps to strengthen the foot/arch/ankle if one is barefoot as opposed to wearing shoes all the time. Being without shoes and socks feels great finally.
By the way I wear New Balance running shoes and they work for me - but I had no special scar issues.

113

Comment by ultidad

May 16, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

Deanne-

A thought: would moving the top of your shoes up instead of down help? I know that it might be harder to find women’s hightops, but it might be worth looking into.

114

Comment by mari

May 17, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

I still wear backless clogs.
My Dr said Crocs are the worst shoes.

115

Comment by gunner

May 18, 2010 @ 5:21 am

I saw my doc socially last week wearing my crocs. He said, seeing me walk up to him, “lookin good except for the shoes!” He had the same opinion, Mari, that crocs do not offer enough support. In a way I understand. Walking up grade cutting the grass sat. would not have worked in crocs. Hiking boots were OK. But in normal circumstances I can’t see any problem with crocs and they sure are the easiest thing to maneuver.

116

Comment by mikek753

May 18, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

my Doc and PT recommend low arch shoes with inserts
they don’t recommend to use full hiking boots as it limits ROM and adds impact to injured tendon.

I think - just try all kind shoes / boot and find most comfortable for you - your body / foot will tell you about it ;-)

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI