Yo Mom…you missed my heel!

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Another surgery :(

Filed under: Uncategorized — dreams at 6:04 pm on Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Well I saw a new doctor today (a very well respected foot and ankle surgeon who unfortunately was on maternity leave when I had my surgery).  She suggested opening up the wound and cleaning it out really well.  There is no infection, but she said there could be bacteria growing inside that are hindering the healing process.  I go in next Wednesday and if all goes well she will simply clean it out and stitch it back up.  After 19 weeks of “some wounds just take longer to heal” I’m glad she is taking an active approach - even if it does mean a minor setback in PT and another surgery.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

8 Comments »

Comment by GerryR

March 2, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

Sorry to hear you need another. I was scheduled for my fourth until I canceled it today and fired the surgeon. If non-dissolving sutures were used in your original repair, talk to the doctor about removing them, as they can easily be the source of your problems.

100

Comment by peteco

March 2, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Sorry to hear that, Deanne. Hopefully it fixes everything.

On the same subject, Deanne or Gerry, have you had any discussions with your “caregivers” as to the possible range of reactions to foreign substances in the body? In my case, my wound looks pretty good, but I still have a rash I can’t shake. I am beginning to wonder if it might be a reaction to something inside me, whether stitch material (not sure what he used) or the material (forget what it is called) that he wrapped around the tendon at the end of the procedure (at least he said he was going to, I have no way to verify, of course).

101

Comment by dreams

March 2, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

Gerryr- I feel really good about my new surgeon. She is so well respected that people come from all over the state to have her do their surgery. She said she was going to check everything out when she was in there. I really hope that this is a step forward. - Good Luck finding a new surgeon.

Deanne (AKA DREAMS)

102

Comment by normofthenorth

March 2, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

It sounds positive to me, too, Deanne. Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

103

Comment by MaryK

March 2, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

GerryR and Deanne, So sorry to read about your detours on this already long road to recovery. I can tell by your various posts that you both are determined, strong people and you WILL come through this stronger than ever.

104

Comment by "Frouchie" or "Grouchie", or just "Chris"

March 3, 2010 @ 7:21 am

OH I’M SO SORRY TO HEAR THIS.

Good Luck…and I’ll send you a bunch of “GOOD VIBES” your way.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

105

Comment by normofthenorth

March 3, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

This “flesh-wound” healing should be MUCH quicker and less disrupting than the healing and reconstruction of an AT that we’ve all been experiencing. Should be a minor detour — you may even be cheered by its speed, compared to what you’ve already done!

106

Comment by doster79

March 3, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

good luck! just a little humble advice, when my ortho did this to me i opted not to have anesthesia and just go with a local anesthetic. HUGE mistake, i didn’t feel anything but it was a little uncomfortable lying on a operating table with people running around and a surgeon working on you. plus they way i was strapped down to the table i was facing a giant wall clock and had the pleasure of watching every second tick by for 30 minutes. do yourself a favor and have sweet dreams while you’re in the or

hope this works out for you, i just started therapy again after my ordeal.

peace