Yo Mom…you missed my heel!

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Life after PT?

Filed under: Uncategorized — dreams at 7:13 pm on Saturday, February 20, 2010

So next week Friday is my last PT appointment (Doc prescribed 6 weeks @ twice a week).  Although I feel like I have made great strides in my flexibility and strength, I still feel like I have a long way to go before I can get back to my ‘normal’ activities.  Our principal is suggesting 42nd Street as our musical for next year which would mean that I would have to teach a summer school tap class.  Right now I am barely at the point where I can walk at a fairly slow rate without a limp.  I am afraid that without any specific direction- tapping by summer will be out of the question.

I was actually starting to feel good about things until I realized that I only had two appointments left.  Has anyone had luck with continued progression post PT.  I obviously don’t own all of the apparatus and devices they are using to help me stretch and strengthen…so is there one main purchase that anyone can recommend.  I belong to the YMCA- so I do have use of the cross trainer, bikes, and weight equipment.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

7 Comments »

Comment by 2ndtimer

February 20, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

You can do all the exercises you need at the Y. I would not invest in anything if you can go there regularly. And lots can be done at home (heel lifts, balance exercises…) without anything. All you need is time and commitment.
The good thing about PT is that they are cheering you on. You can also pay them out of pocket, in Canada they offer a lower compassionate rate.

Comment by MaryK

February 20, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

I’m about to “graduate” from PT, too. Except for the massage of the foot and tendon, there is nothing that happens at PT that I can’t replicate at home. The question is, WILL I do the exercises at home ?!? At this point in my recovery it’s a strange mixture of wanting to get better, but also wanting to be done with all this. I thought about buying a Bosu balance thing, since my PT said at my age it’s great to work on balance any way. If only my insurance covered a Wii fit :)

Pingback by Tall Ingredients for Dating Success for Shorter Men | How To Grow Taller

February 20, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

[...] Yo Mom…you missed my heel! » Life after PT? [...]

Comment by dreams

February 20, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

2nd timer- I was actually thinking about talking my PT into extending my sentence (once I’ve been referred my insurance will actually pay as long as my PT recommends it)- I just didn’t want to sound like I was begging.

MaryK- a Bosu ball was on my list of ‘want to buy’ items. They have one at the Y- but I think I would use it more at home. BTW…I have a Wii Fit and absolutely LOVE it…except for the fact that I can’t even come close to all of the high scores I hit prior to my ATR. I’m looking to buy the booster pack since I bought mine before it was Wii Fit Plus.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

Comment by doug53

February 20, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

Hi Deanne,

It is very possible to rehab without a physical therapist or even a gym. As long as you keep making gradual progress in flexibility and calf strength loading, without exposing your tendon to any sudden stretches or loads, you should be fine. It’s really not that complicated.

Good luck,

Doug

Comment by mari

February 21, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

My PT guy said I needed 30 sessions, that’s 15 weeks total.

I’m at week 20 since surgery and I think I got 5 more weeks left. It feels about right.

Comment by "Frouchie" or "Grouchie", or just "Chris"

February 22, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’ve got 9 session left with the PT. I know I’ll be fine after the time is over because I’m already doing the same workouts at my fitness center with the Bosu balls and stuff…so I have rehab 4 to 5 times a week already.

I just need to tell myself to go slow and only do what I do in Rehab PT…don’t try anything else on my own yet.

You’ll do fine. Good Luck and keep us posted.

“Slow and Steady Wins THIS Race”.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI