Yo Mom…you missed my heel!

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

My Pinnocchio foot.

Filed under: Uncategorized — dreams at 9:04 am on Saturday, February 6, 2010

So I would say that PT is going relatively well.  My balance is improving tremendously, and I have progressed from the yellow to the red band.  The one thing that still bothers me is that I feel like I have a wooden foot.  When I try to raise up on my toes, or even when I’m doing horizontal calf raises on the machine- my foot doesn’t bend.  Even when I try to roll heel to toe as I walk, my foot doesn’t seem to roll through- it just plops.  I can see some progress when I am barefoot, but as soon as I put my shoes on I feel like I’m walking on a fake foot.  My PT says that a lot of it is from the tightness, and she has been massaging my arch as well as having me do a few more stretching exercises, but it just doesn’t seem to be making significant progress.  Am I just being over anxious, or is this something that should be making major improvements after two weeks of PT?

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

8 Comments »

Comment by ultidad

February 6, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

I wonder if some of what you feel is due to your calf being weakened. I complained to my PT about feeling like Frankenstein when I walked down stairs - I was clunking down, landing on the heel of my injured foot. I was given some exercises (really just stepping down from a raised platform), and told to concentrate on landing on the ball of my foot. That was at least 4 weeks ago and I still find that I have to think about pointing my foot when going down stairs.

Comment by GerryR

February 6, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

When I go downstairs I have to make a conscious effort to think about stepping down with the ball of my foot first. To do that requires calf strength and I still have very little. I am assuming that since my left calf got no exercise from July 27 until early November that it will take at least that long to get back the strength I had, very probably longer since I have scar tissue to deal with. It will take a while. I think you’re expecting too much too soon.

Comment by dreams

February 6, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

Thanks for the reality check…it makes sense that it is actually linked to calf strength- I just couldn’t help but think that the simple act of rolling my foot down should be easy. I guess nothing is going to be easy for a while.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)

Comment by mshap

February 7, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

I think I have a similar issue. When walking I first plant my heel (which works fine) and then try to step through the middle of my foot. At that point I feel like my ankle is locked and I can not roll through to my toes. I attribute it to the lack of dorsiflexion - I am barely at the nutural position right now.

I am seeing the Dr this week, so I plan to ask. My PT says that I am progressing fine and it is just taking time.

Comment by john

February 7, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

i had surgery in my left leg for a ruptured achilles tendon and by the 4th week i was wearing both shoes and driving my manual shift car and im 46 years old . i have to tell people who have this injury is to keep working it all the time at home . inversion eversion flexion dorsiflexion and of course a great doctor helps .

Comment by tedb

February 8, 2010 @ 3:40 am

Hi Dreams,

Is using a rolling pin part of your rehab? I had one in the kitchen and my physio advised me to use it twice a day for around 5 minutes. It has helped me with some ankle ROM and I find the rolling action similar to what the bottom half of the leg does when walking, especially when I roll away, the action is a bit like the kicking action as you step forward.

Tedb.

Comment by Gerryr

February 8, 2010 @ 9:15 am

So, did you ever get a culture done or are you just ignoring the drainage?

Comment by dreams

February 8, 2010 @ 11:47 am

Tedb- I like the idea of working with a rolling pin. My pt suggested I ask my husband to massage my arch…but with our busy schedules that is almost impossible.

Gerryr- In the interest of my sanity (last week was production week for our musical), I put off the appointment until this week. I figured that since it wasn’t getting any worse the extra few days wouldn’t hurt any. I go in for my appointment tomorrow morning. I keep you updated.

Deanne (aka DREAMS)