Aug 22 2012

Wound is Healed

Published by doryt at 11:25 pm under Uncategorized

I am now at 43 weeks and finally my would has closed and I have skin! I am so so happy to see marklewis’s post that he achieved a successful wound closure at 10 weeks post op.  Doctors orders “Go Surfing”! I had not been to the beach all summer. Just too much to endure not being able to get wet. So this week I will be packing the truck for a camping trip to San Clemente State Beach. My injury has taught me alot about myself and it is all becoming a blurr. I have been back to XFIT 3 days a week and contimue to improve.

6 Responses to “Wound is Healed”

1. normofthenorthon 22 Aug 2012 at 11:28 pm

Yay!

2. Jenniferandersonon 23 Aug 2012 at 12:16 am

Good to hear!!!

3. mcdarlingon 25 Aug 2012 at 8:45 pm

Enjoy the beach! Yea!

4. elisabethon 08 Dec 2012 at 1:02 am

hi dory,
    im glad to get to the end of your story and find a happy ending. im much farther behind you, as i am only 9 days post op. but im looking at a vacocast because the aircast my OS put me in is not very comfortable and does not allow protected motion. i read in someone else’s comments that you were willing to let them borrow your vacocast and i was wondering if yo’d considered selling it? im looking at at least 2-3 months in the boot after i am allowed to weight bear because my tendon was so shredded and the repair was difficult. my OS siad he was taking things slow with me because my tendon was delicate and thin to begin with.
    id love to buy your vacocast achilles boot if you’re willing to sell it.
    pelase email me at cheekeymonkee2@yahoo.com if you are.
    thanks for your inspiration and congratulations on your progress!!

5. mandy000on 08 Dec 2012 at 3:10 am

Hi Elisabeth

I had the vaocast first cause the vacoped seemed to painful (narrow at heel) when I had my cast removed. The initial one did not have the ability to adjust the angle so wedges were placed inside. Talk about painful, the 4 wedges dug in at each level. I put up with it for 2 weeks without slep. That boot was heaps heavier (it was a bigger size). I love my vaocast I’m now almost 2 weeks in it, Sleep pretty much through the night within a day went fom NWB (he wedges cutting in we’re my problem) to a few steps FWB. I’m now FWB inside with crutches in the mornings and stairs. I still use my knee scooter to cover longer distances. My “good” leg is tender at the ankle/Achilles insertion point. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the Achillesped aka achillespro, changed my life. Sizewise if you are on the cusp go for the smaller size. I wear an asics 8.5uk jogger, which is in the middle of the small and medium vaco - smaller is heaps easier to manouver particularly sleeping in it…as I still am. I have also just today got an”even-up” is was $40 aussie for my good foot….best invention now Im not crooked (or messing up my hip, lower back and knee) you won’t need until you are weight bearing, but I can’t recommend highly enough.

Good luck with you healing, I’m 26 days ahead of you….honestly the last 10 days have seemed so different to the 10 before that. Take care of you! Mandy

6. mandy000on 08 Dec 2012 at 3:12 am

Hi Dory
    Congrats on having skin! Exciting time for you, so missing swimming already (we are just hitting summer) very excited for you for your weekend adventure! Enjoy. Mandy