Mar 30 2012

Not Melting Down Yet

Published by doryt at 12:18 am under Uncategorized

Not sure why my recent msg to Mitch posted on Johns. Sorry guys canb’t figure it out. I have appointment next week with the Kaiser Fontana Wound Clinic. I have looked all over this Blog and the web for anyone that has had issues with their incision not closing. I am remaining positive but at my wits end. Any comments anyone? I do not have infection or pain or anything other than a hole the size of my thumb nail between back of heel and ankle bone that simply will not skin ovewr and heal.

7 Responses to “Not Melting Down Yet”

1. Mitchon 30 Mar 2012 at 12:56 am

Stay positive, you have already overcome the hardest part & I wish you well.
    What about putting some butterfly bandaids on it?
    The top 3 inches of my incision skinned over nicely, but the last bottom inch is still scabbed & nothing like the healed area above. I still have the bottom 2 sterl strips on & see a bunch of dried blood so I will not force it off, but wondering if that area is harder to heal & I am really only 1 week out of a cast. Good luck!

2. normofthenorthon 30 Mar 2012 at 1:58 am

If you search the site for “site” or “non-healing” you’ll find quite a few similar stories, alas. Scars seem to do whatever they want, whether or not it’s what we want.
    The incision from my first, surgical, ATR healed beautifully and is practically invisible now, ~10 yrs later. Then ~15 months ago I had heart surgery (valve replacement), with a long “zipper” incision down my chest. The top ~2/3 has already healed almost invisibly, while the bottom couple of inches have formed a raised red “cheloid” ridge which I suspect will always be part of me. It’s harmless there, and covered with hair, too, but I shudder to think of how it would have messed up my wearing volleyball shoes and sailing boots and even dress shoes, if that had happened to my ATR incision.
    Good luck, and good healing.

3. Januson 30 Mar 2012 at 9:21 pm

Instead of bandaids, consider treating the incision with an antiseptic first — like Povidone-iodine, for example — and then covering with a guaze pad, perhaps held in place by an ACE bandage.

A bandaid might keep the incision “too wet”, so to speak (trapping moisture), and so delay the healing process. The scab needs to be kept clean but also allowed to dry. To let the new skin grow underneath it.

4. HarleyLadyon 31 Mar 2012 at 8:37 pm

Had same problem incision not closed yet at 8 weeks after surgery (this is my 2nd) I started all this Nov 2011 and retore had 2nd surgery Feb 6, anyway mine has been draining in cast last 2 changes this time Dr got silver nitrate and painted it on then covered with lg bandaid then another cast. With any luck I’ll go into a boot at week 10. Your Dr may not have thought bout ’silver nitrate’. I burns for just little while not bad. Wish you luck. I’m doing everything Dr says cause I miss riding my Harley. I’m one of the oldest ones on this site At 52. No wreck, just tore few times throwing leg over the HOG.

5. rosethornon 01 Apr 2012 at 4:48 pm

At the very worst, you will be a candidate for skin-grafting which is pretty non-invasive and assures your tendon will be covered. I had mild wound complications with stitches pushing out, but luckily after much heat and rest the stitches became superficial and pushed out without infection.

On that note, I would suggest doing hot compresses anytime you can rest. 20 minutes up to ten times a day is acceptable and will bring intense blood circulation to the area. This could encourage some skin growth and definitely encourages healing. You can fill a sock with rice or oats and microwave it for 2 minutes; I would avoid doing moist compresses as this could keep the skin too moist and cause cellular death, opening the wound more.

I hope this helps, Dory. Let us know how your appointment goes.

p.s. Harley Lady, I think I may be the youngest on here @ 26, my first rupture happening @ 25.

6. Brian Hammanon 05 Apr 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Doryt,
    Did you get the GraftJacket during your fast surgery or was it later? Just wondering whether the GraftJacket had anything to do with the incision not healing properly?
    Thanks,
    Brian

7. Brian Hammanon 05 Apr 2012 at 2:48 pm

Aaargghh…I meant did your get the GraftJacket during your FIRST (not fast) surgery? Sorry….