Happy Father’s Day!

It has been awhile since I wrote last, but trying to get back into the work flow and the like while crutching around Los Angeles.

I will write again later tonight after dinner with the fam.

Mac The Knife

June 10, 2009 | | 5 Comments

So today is surgery day.  I am anxious, as I have never had surgery before, but I am also relieved to be moving forward with this thing.  Fortunately my days have been filled with moving and the like, but that ever present anxiety, mixed with the occassional hope that I will wake up and be healed.  The boot on my foot reminds me that, naw, its all real.

I do appreciate the comments to my first post, I really feel part of a great, supportive group.

I have also been overwhelmed with the love and support of my friends and family.  It is wonderful to see how many people are really there for you when push comes to shove.

I am sure I will write later, but see you all after I am re-attached.

Well, this is certainly not what I thought I would start my blogging life with!

I must say, after reading many of my new compatriots, I am soooo appreciative for their shared experiences as I enter the very first stages of this journey.  Hopefully my perspectives and stories will help those who read this as well as help me deal with the road ahead.

Last Thursday (6/4/09) I was working late with my partner on our animated pilot.  We were giddy tired and started horsing around when she challenged me to a foot race.  We both share the same trainer, and have done some workouts together.  In all candor, though, she is in way better shape than I am, and 11 years my junior.  But never let reason get in the way of a fun challenge I always say.

Race 1 - 40 yard dash…I won.  Rematch..rematch…rematch…You can see from the pattern that we are certainly nothing if not competitive people, but by the 8th race one would have thought I was warmed up enough.  Anyways, two steps into the race, pop went the Achilles and the Achilles went pop…3 loud pops actually.  Not sure why it took three, but they were loud, fast and in a moment of intense pain, I went straight down grabbing my leg.  I got immediately nauseous and sweaty at the same time.  But I definitely knew what had happened.  At first I thought they should call an ambulance, but mother nature has a sense of humor, so as I writhed in pain on the ground, of course, I had to go to the bathroom.

Let’s just say, of all the times to have to go, right when you pop your achilles, your first injury ever, not so convenient.  But it was amusing looking back on it now.  My partner put me on a rolling office chair and I shimmied my way into the bathroom and did my thing.

The pain had subsided considerably at that point, although there was discomfort, but I was not going to pass out, and I was finally able to get my wits about me.  I called my friend who is an orthopedic surgeon (and who I will be using) and asked him if I should go to the hospital.  He told me they would not do much for me, and that I should go to the pharmacy get crutches and a boot to immobilize my foot, mostly for while I slept that first night.  I did that, with the help of my partner and drove home for the evening.

The following morning, I woke up, wiggled my toes and was able to move my foot a bit.  I had the hope that being able to do so meant that I had not ruptured the tendon all the way through.  With that optimism I headed out to the valley to see my doc.  I got there, told him what happened, he had me lay on my belly, and oh, 15 seconds later any notion of a partial tear was buh-bye.  In his words, “Sh-t, you ruptured your Achilles.”  The following two hours was spent digesting that, getting an MRI, digesting it some more, walking across the parking lot with crutches while it drizzled, and getting into my car to start driving home and making the phone calls to everyone that I was gonna have surgery the following Wednesday on this bad boy.

The outpouring of support from my friends has been amazing (as I am also trying to move apartments) and I am so appreciative of them.

I have also been doing lots of reading on this site and elsewhere and there seem to be a few things for me to discuss with my doc, but mainly, is surgery the best way to deal with this.  He said it is initially as I am a very active 41 year old and do tons of sports.  Some of the recent articles seem to indicate that other techniques are as effective, but I am not sure, and will ultimately follow his lead as I have known him since high school and know he is really good at what he does.

Did I mention how much I don’t like crutches.  Could there be anything more frustrating that looking in the refrigerator and then realizing that even though the couch is only 6 feet away, not much you can do to get the food there?

So as it is Sunday night and I am watching the Laker game right now, I wanted to start sharing my story so the next me will hopefully find the same solace and refuge in these tales as I have from all of yours.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments as we begin this dialogue and along my path towards recovery.