Aug 02 2012

dizmarkie

Walking!!! Well…Kind of

Posted at 9:54 am under Uncategorized

I saw my orthopedic surgeon Monday this week and said I was looking good but need to aggressively stretch this tendon.  He also said I could lose the single crutch that I had been using but to discuss with my PT.  Tuesday I saw my therapist and he also said to ditch the crutch!

I am doing great with my limp that I have.  I really have to concentrate on walking properly though otherwise I get this Frankenstein kind of limp going on.  HAHA!  Also noticed that I need to massage the bottom of my foot otherwise I get pain.  At first I thought I may have bruised the outer part of my foot but after massaging with a tennis ball I feel much better.  Anyone else get this?

Continuing working on my ROM for now and hopefully get rid of the limp soon.  PT gave the ok to hit the gym again but for upper body only of course.  Thank god!

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Walking!!! Well…Kind of”

1. Adamon 02 Aug 2012 at 10:08 am 1

Congrats! I am a few weeks behind you but have started walking around a bit in PT and at home.. Yes, i also get the same pain in my foot and my tendon is still super tight.. Hang in there!

2. Halaon 02 Aug 2012 at 11:51 am 2

Sounds good! I am at 13 weeks today and have just come back frommy physio with the opposite advice. She wants me to start using one crutch again until I get rid of my limp. I have been getting a bit of pain so sounds reasonable to me, but the differing advicer is so confusing! Any thoughts?

3. dizmarkieon 02 Aug 2012 at 12:09 pm 3

@Hala- I go to PT again today and will ask. Maybe it depends on how bad the limp is? Where is your pain?

4. Halaon 02 Aug 2012 at 12:50 pm 4

It’s some pulling on the tendon, not really bad, just enough to make my limp more pronounced as I am trying to protect it. My physio seems to think its better to use a crutch rather than limp at all. I must say I had been working on the theory that walking would be good exercise so am not sure now. She wants me to be able to walk really well before losing the final crutch, and achieve this through exercises and rest. I would be inerested in what your PT says. Thanks :)

5. kimjaxon 02 Aug 2012 at 1:39 pm 5

Hi all,
    My AT really hurts in the evenings when it starts to swell. (13 weeks) but the PT wants me to walk as much as able in shoes (no crutches, heel lifts, etc.) and to work on stretching and massaging. My AT is really tight - but mostly (I think) from the swelling and scar tissue. It’s always more flexible after I ride the bike in the morning or have an ultrasound and gets worse as the day goes on. It hurts if I start up from sitting to fast and am not stretched at all - feels like a yank. I just need to be purposeful in my walking and stretch well after sitting a long time. It helps with the limp. Hard to remember when you’re in a hurry to get somewhere!

6. starshepon 02 Aug 2012 at 2:02 pm 6

dizmarkie
    Getting rid of that pesky limp is a bitch. At 23 weeks, I still have to concentrate to make sure I don’t fall back into it. There is so much involved in walking mechanics, it really makes you appreciate what it took for our ancestors when they first decided to leave the trees and walk upright. I just started back at a gym that has a really nice treadmill and I really think it is helping me to practice the technique with minimal distractions.

7. normofthenorthon 03 Aug 2012 at 1:24 am 7

Hala, I so hated using one crutch or a cane, that I’d be a terrible patient if my PT or Doc told me to return to either after I’d left it. If your “limp” is just that one stride is noticeably shorter than the other one — and your walking technique is otherwise sound — then I wouldn’t think that walking unaided would be doing you any harm. People definitely get into trouble by finding “creative” ways to limp when they’re weak and swollen and vulnerable — like splaying your “bad-foot” toes out to the side, for example. There are many bad habits that can be learned at your stage, many of which are the devil to UNlearn later. But if you’re walking with your feet pointed ahead the way you used to, and just shortening the stride that takes you over your injured leg, I personally don’t see the harm — and walking with one crutch definitely messed up my stride!!

8. dizmarkieon 03 Aug 2012 at 7:54 am 8

@Hala- I had a quick discussion about the crutch and going back with my therapist last night. He mentioned its kind of a catch 22. The reason to go without the crutch is to build strength in that foot/leg but you can also develop bad habits and cause other problems without it. If you go with the crutch longer then you don’t get the strength back as quickly but you may not develop a bad habit or cause other issues. So with me, he feels my limp is not to bad and I am doing good. Although part of my therapy will be to work out the kinks once I get rid of the limp. I hope that helps.

9. Halaon 03 Aug 2012 at 3:16 pm 9

Thanks norm and dizmarkie. That makes sense - I think I have slipped into some bad walking habits so will try and get walking better. Today, we went to the Olympics and walked about loads so I took my crutches (both of them) and was really pleased I did as it really helped with the walking gait and I had no pain really. It is frustrating though as I thought I was better than I really was. What a pain in the butt this injury is :-)

10. Aronon 16 Aug 2012 at 3:46 am 10

I am only out of surgery for complete tear since Monday but i feel like as soon as they get this tilted boot off I will be ok. I was wearing the boot up until surgery and felt ok. Now cant get around at all. Its notlike me to ask others fro help and I hope to get out of this as soon as possible. worst inury ever