Choosing a PT

By early next week I need to choose a PT. I am really intrigued by Graston or ASTYM technique, my Ortho thinks it’s hog wash. Obviously it won’t be in protocol. I am an hour away from my Ortho and his PT’s and he didn’t give me an answer when I asked who he recommended in my town so it looks like it’s up to me to choose. There is only one PT in town that is certified in Graston or ASTYM but otherwise I’m not sure that clinic is my first choice. If this was part of your PT then I would like to know how important you thought it was.


  1. normofthenorth Said,

    December 14, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

    Not precisely on-topic, since I got neither from my PT, but. . . a good PT can contribute to your recovery in many different ways. GerryR’s blog here devotes a bunch of space and thought to the search for the right PT. Check it out!

  2. kkirk Said,

    December 14, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

    I would start by asking friends, people you may work out with (or play sports), co-workers, church, etc…. and get a feel for who might be a good match. Next, I would see if you can find someone who tends to specialize in knee/ankle/foot. I found my PT through a friend at church who supervises a place in town and one of his newer PT was a perfect match.

    I also wanted to a place that uses a lot of hydrotherapy, so I went to he place in town that has a better facility. You will have to decided on what your needs are and do some research with through your local social network IMHO. Good luck.

  3. Darryn Said,

    December 14, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

    I agree with kevin, Recommendations from friends is the place to start. You’re a runner if I remember correctly, so I would start asking around your running friends / acquaintances. I am sure plenty of them have seen PTs.

    When I first saw an ortho doctor with Achilles issues he sent me to “his” PT office. The PT might have known their stuff but I (long distance runner) wasn’t their typical client and didn’t work out. I m much happier with current PT who has a much more sport-oriented clientele.

    Never tried Graston, but have friends who are very positive about.

  4. Scott Said,

    December 19, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

    Look for a PT that is a Doctor of PT (basically has a doctorate in PT) and specializes in knees and ankles. Mine got me back in shape and strong enough to complete a Tough Mudder 5 months after ATR.

    I wouldn’t worry to much about if they’re “certified” in one technique or another. If they’ve got the education and experience to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy they’re certified.

    Blessings - Scott (Skutr)

  5. kkirk Said,

    December 19, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

    Scott Makes a great point. My PT has a doctorate And focuses on legs (Knees, ankles, and hips). She has been great to work with and Keeps me informed. She is also willing to do her research if I ever have questions. Honestly, it’s your leg and your recovery and you have to find a match that works for you.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash