Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery

Aiming for full recovery!

Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery header image 2

Long overdue update

September 3rd, 2013 · 9 Comments

Well, it’s been over 5 yrs since my injury, and as far as my recovered Achilles goes, things haven’t changed much since the last time I posted my update.  When I am running, playing basketball, or playing tennis, I don’t feel like my Achilles is holding me back in any way.   Now days, it’s usually my knees or my back that keeps me from pushing hard.

The scar on my left heel still reminds me of my year-long recovery, and I am still very appreciative of the fact that I am back to running, playing basketball, and playing tennis.  I do feel like it’s a little tight until I get warmed up, but it hasn’t bothered me much.

I don’t think about my Achilles every minute like I used to during the recovery process, but I am wary of shopping carts and people walking too close to me still.  I still can’t wear some shoes, and I have to buy heel pads for some of them.  But that’s fine.

I am in the middle of training for the NYC marathon, and I have 2 months of training left.   I ran close to 17 miles for my long run of the week, and boy that was tough.  I am a little behind in my training because I had the flu for a week, and I just fell off of my training regimen for an additional 2 weeks.  However, this past week’s training went pretty well, and I feel like I can run 26.2 miles in a couple of months, since I can run 17 miles now.. even though I really struggled through it.

It’s good to see that the AchillesBlog community is still very active and that it’s been a great place for people to connect to others who are going through the exact same recovery.  For those of you who are in their first week of the recovery, as hard as it might be, be sure to enjoy the down time while you are in a cast.  Just be patient and know that it’ll get better.    happy healing!

Dennis

Tags: achilles injury

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 lodinpdx // Sep 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for the update and YAY for NYC marathon! That gives me so much hope. You will do great as few things can be harder then coming back from this! Every day I remind myself that I am somehow still “training” even though I can not run a step.

• 2 kellygirl // Sep 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Dennis! Great update. It’s nice to hear that at 5 years plus you are still going strong and not worrying about the AT. It does seem that every week brings some kind of small improvement. Good luck on the rest of the marathon training. Thanks for starting and maintaining this site. I don’t know how I would have gotten through this without it!

• 3 upstate2519 // Sep 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for the update! It helps to be reminded that we will be able to return to pre-injury activity levels and stop thinking about every step we take.

Ditto kellygirl’s comments about this site; it’s an invaluable source of information and support.

• 4 Marty (kjkw82) // Sep 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Dennis. I am new to the site just being 2 weeks out from surgery. This site has been a blessing. I was in a boot for 2 weeks before surgery and everyone’s comments helped me make the decision to go surgical. I want to thank you for creating and maintaining the site. I know it will help me through the rest of my recovery.

Good luck in your training and the upcoming NYC marathon.

• 5 bionic // Sep 7, 2013 at 2:05 am

Thank you Dennis! Hope with real story is much appreciated.

While my achilles heels the rest of my banged up muscoskeletal system is being silently preserved and repaired. I envision myself coming back with a vengeance. ..even if in my own mind…and that mind is what sports, fun and competition is all about. … so nice assist Dennis.

• 6 normofthenorth // Sep 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

+1 to all the above and keep on keepin’ on, Dennis and everybody else too!

• 7 Ron // Sep 24, 2013 at 1:15 am

Awesome!

It’s nice to know that I don’t have to stop playing basketball, golf and tennis once this finally does heal. Thanks for the post, Dennis. It’s very encouraging.

Ron

• 8 Arnel Gonzales // Oct 4, 2014 at 6:15 am

Hi Dennis,

I just had an operation on my rtured achilis tendon and now on my third week.

Currently using a boot after 2 weeks on a cast.

Just wanted to ask if you experienced that your calf muscles were solft and seem like to have no tension after removing the cast…

Best regards

• 9 abbs42 // May 24, 2016 at 2:44 am

Hey Dennis
    My name is abbs42 I was wondering if your offer for a total shirt is available I’m 3 weeks post op a mother of 3 and out on LOA from work until further notice. I had a complete rupture separated tendon. I’m struggling to make end meet with the Dr bills having to buy crutches shower chairs. Ect. Was hoping you could send me out some shirts. My email is bengil30@gmail.com. thanks so much your an inspiration of your journey with this injury