Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery

Aiming for full recovery!

Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery header image 2

2 year anniversary passed by without a whimper.

February 23rd, 2010 · 23 Comments

victory-signI can’t believe that I passed my 2nd year ATR anniversary without even noticing. I ruptured my left Achilles playing basketball Feb 8th 2008, and I let Feb 8th 2010 slip by without any mention of my ATR to anyone.

Doc Ross, thanks for writing about your 2nd year anniversary! That led me to wonder about my ATR anniversary.
I didn’t even remember my ATR date, so I had to look it up on my Achilles Profile and read my very first post:

How the time flies, and how things have changed so much..

Just a few minutes ago, I submitted my guaranteed application for the NYC Marathon, and paid the entry fee. (By the way, I haven’t been training very much, as it’s way too cold to be running.. and after much research, I don’t think I am going to shoot for the 3 hr Marathon. :)

So how does my recovering Achilles feel? Well, it’s still thicker and sometimes feel a little sore. But I feel like it’s stronger than my right Achilles, which I have a bit of tendinosis from all the bball I am playing. I probably won’t stop playing bball though as long as I am healthy.

Am I scared of re-rupture or rupture of my right Achilles? No, and maybe a little. However, it definitely won’t keep me from playing bball. I’ll be a little lazy on defense, won’t cut to the basket as hard, and settle for a jumper instead of driving hard to the basket. But stop playing..? definitely not. :)

It still amazes me that there have been well over 650 people (not counting the people who didn’t register to fill out their Achilles Profile) on AchillesBlog. It started with just a few of us: Tom, Doc Ross, Brendan, Jim, Johnskier, and others.. and I am happy to see that we keep coming back to check up on each other, and that the site is still a good haven/resource for the ‘newly recovering’.

AchillesBloggers, stay strong, stay patient, and stay positive. god bless.

Tags: achilles injury · marathon · recovery

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 annieh // Feb 23, 2010 at 5:42 am

Three Cheers for Dennis,

What a fantastic community you set up here and after all this time we are still checking in on the site which proves how wonderful it is.

My 2 year anniversary is in March I’m still progressing slowly but surely but I will get there in the end.

Once again, thank you so much Dennis.

Annie

• 2 marina // Feb 23, 2010 at 5:54 am

+100 from me as well, it is so nice receiving positive vibes from everybody in here and share my experiences. Actually your post got me a ‘chicken skin’, I’m definately going back to basketball courts again :-)
    Can’t wait!

• 3 "Frouchie" or "Grouchie", or just "Chris" // Feb 23, 2010 at 9:57 am

Glad to hear thigs are back to the way you wanted.

Thank you for your posting…it and all the others keep me going.

Good Luck.

• 4 2ndtimer // Feb 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

It is so encouraging to read your post - I am looking forward to some great hiking by my second anniversary.
    Thanks again for setting up this superb site where I can whine and whimper as much as I want!

• 5 doug53 // Feb 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

Dennis,

You have helped hundreds of people through a crisis with this blog.

Thank you!!

• 6 normofthenorth // Feb 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Yup, thanks heaps, Dennis, it’s my fave website now! I’d love to have some energetic person tweak it to make it a smidge less surgery-centric, but I would have done it the same way after my ATR surgery, 8 yrs ago.

I think you can assume that there are as many “lurkers” as there are known participants, and probably 50 times as many people who’ve found one answer from a web search. So the impact of your work has been huge!

Marina, what’s this ‘chicken skin’??

• 7 chocolata // Feb 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Hi Dennis,

Congratulations on you 2nd year ATR anniversary!
    I ruptured my right Achilles dancing about 2 weeks ago - on Feb 8th (not in 2008 but in 2010!) - and I’m now dreaming about the day I can post my 2 year anniversary with a big smile across my face :)

Thank you so much for running the great website!

• 8 ultidad // Feb 24, 2010 at 12:42 am

Dennis, congrats and thanks. Ron

• 9 marina // Feb 24, 2010 at 6:43 am

Norm, a way of saying ‘I shivered’ :-P

• 10 sam66 // Feb 24, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Good to hear things can keep on improving into the second year - well done Dennis.

And add my gratitude to those of everyone else for setting up this site too. I don’t check so often now I’m approaching the 8 month mark, but it was a vital support particularly in those first few months.

• 11 normofthenorth // Feb 24, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Thanks, Marina — I get it now, though it’s a new expression for me.

• 12 marymargaret27 // Feb 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Hi Dennis,

Congrats! As one who is only 3 weeks out from surgery, I am guessing that it will be a year before I see any light at the end of the tunnel. Do you have a time goal for the marathon? I was hoping to go under 2 hours 50 mins. before my ATR. I would like to think that I can run again…not just jog :-) But my doc. is telling me that jogging might be it…permanently. If that’s the case I’ll just quit and get fat :-( Good luck!!

• 13 booklady // Feb 26, 2010 at 1:21 am

Congratulations on your anniversary Dennis! There really is life after an ATR. You’ve done well in pulling us together though a common challenge.
    Chancing on this site at one of my lowest points in life was a Godsend! Mahalo!

• 14 Jim // Feb 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Dennis, I just happened by and realized I missed my 2 year anniversary a few days ago too! Still not 100% but I’ve compensated by losing 15 pounds and getting fitter. I’m running, hiking, snowboarding, flying massive kites that pull me all over the place and generally feeling great. I still have days that I notice improvement in my strength, though not as often, they still happen. Glad to see you are all doing well. Take care and I’ll check in again. I remember when there were only a handful of us here, we all just used our first names.

Jim

• 15 brendan // Mar 9, 2010 at 9:47 am

Dennis - congrats on the milestone and the NYC Marathon! I’m only 10 weeks into my Ironman training and boy does a marathon feel a long way off, especially after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile spin! Best of luck…will look for your name on the results.

-B

• 16 walshie // Mar 11, 2010 at 12:26 am

Ahhhhh the godfather!

The man that started it all…thanks as always for a resource I leaned heavily on for soo many months..

Great to see you’re doing well!

• 17 dennis // Mar 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

thanks everyone for your comments. Glad to see everyone’s doing well, and it’s great to see the “old timers” check back every once in a while. Looking forward to reading your updates as well, and I am on my way out to play a little bball. So just a quick reply! happy healing! :)

• 18 Kristinatl // Mar 14, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Happy 2 year Anniversary and CONGRATS for keeping a great, informative site all this time. You’ve helped so many of us!!!!! BRAVO!

• 19 tennisjunkie // May 22, 2010 at 8:56 am

Good to know you are doing well. Again, thanks for the site. It lives on…

• 20 prima // Oct 8, 2010 at 3:11 am

hi, was reading your post on the achilles tendon injury recovery blog, and I see that you may or may not have a walking boot. is it still available. could you contact me if this is the case. thank you and congrats on your recovery.

• 21 Sullypa // Nov 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

Dennis

Please accept my thanks also. Your wonderful blog made my 9.5 months recovery much more bearable.

Prima

Your question raises an interesting idea. Could the blog add a section where people could donate their used boots, crutches, walkers, etc. for use by those who want to try/need such equipment but lack coverage in their health care programs, or whose doctors are too conservative?

For instance, when I was recovering, I wanted to try a hinged boot, but my doctor kept me in a fixed boot, I think for too long.

Primo, what kind of boot, size, and left/right are you looking for?

• 22 dennis // Nov 13, 2010 at 10:23 am

prima and sullypa - There is already a section for it, but there hasn’t been much activity on that page: http://achillesblog.com/things-you-might-need/donated-achilles-equipment/

I had my walking boot there, and no one wanted it, so I had to throw it out.

• 23 Ryan // Jan 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hey Dennis,
    I’m sure you get this a lot, but how do I set up a blog through achillesblog?
    I have some info on the main page, but do not know how to make my own contributions to the main page, without commenting on someone else’s.
    I’m hendrenville.
    Thanks Dennis and really appreciate the forum!