Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery

Aiming for full recovery!

Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery header image 2

Qualified for the 2010 NYC Marathon.

November 27th, 2009 · 16 Comments

race_to_deliver_09

I ran the 4 mile, The Race to Deliver in Central Park this past Sunday.  This was my 9th race of the year, and I’ve already received my volunteer credit from the NY Road Runner’s club.  So, I can happily say that I’ve reached my goal of qualifying for the 2010 NYC Marathon.  So one  milestone reached, many more to go.

I am excited about the prospect of running the marathon again, but I am a little disappointed that I haven’t been as consistent with running as I would have liked this year.  My pace has been around 8-9 minutes a mile at these races, and that’s not exactly where I wanted to be.  But I guess life is like that sometimes: some successes, some disappointments.  You keep trying, and you aim for more successes  and try to minimize the disappointments.

One of my friends trained hard for about 8 months and was able to run the marathon in around 3 hours, and I’d like to get there as well by next October.  I ran my first marathon at a little over 4 hour mark, so if I complete my 2nd marathon in under 3 hrs, then that would really be amazing.

It seems impossible right now, and those of you who are avid runners may agree that it’s impossible.  Well, let’s see.. I have a lot of work ahead of me.  I have about 11 months to train.

I’ll keep you posted on my training and everything that I learn along the way.  In addition to training, I have a lot of research ahead of me.   This site seems like a good starting point: http://www.sub3hour.com/

I have to be lucky too and stay injury free.  The one roadblock I see is not my Achilles, but my right knee.  As long as my right knee holds up, I am confident that I can do it.

I wish you all a speedy recovery!

Tags: marathon

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 mari // Nov 28, 2009 at 4:43 am

As a 4 time half marathon walker I’m boosted by your entry.
    I’m looking forward to my next half, maybe not soon but in my future!

• 2 josher47 // Nov 28, 2009 at 10:43 am

Dennis,
    This is awesome. I’ve done 3 marathons and numerous half-marathons. You can get to the 3 hour mark just find a good training program that meets your needs and stay dedicated. It is great to hear about a recoverd ATR patient being active and successful. Once again this gives me motivation.

• 3 dennis // Nov 28, 2009 at 12:06 pm

josher47 - thanks for your comments. What are some of the popular training programs out there? I am starting to do research and starting to get back to running more seriously. Good luck with your recovery.

• 4 josher47 // Nov 28, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Pete Pfitzinger and Jack Daniels both have well known programs. I have tried one of the Daniels programs, it was really good but was too demanding for me. Even Runner’s World has some good programs. Some important things to look for are the length of the program 12, 18, or even 24 weeks and the time you have available for training each week. It seems to me that some programs stress more distance runs, other more tempo work, and others something else. Think of how your last marathon went and identify your area(s) of need and compare that to the programs too. Presonally, my body doesn’t seem to handle high mileage well so a friend and I created a 12 week program. I unfortanetly wasn’t able to do all of the long runs and it showed in my last marathon.

• 5 ultidad // Nov 29, 2009 at 3:02 am

Congrats, Dennis, and thanks for putting this site together. Ron

• 6 gailaj // Nov 29, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Congratulations, Dennis. I used the Bob Glover Runner’s Handbook / Competitive Runner’s Handbook as a basis for serious marathon training. I don’t know if the new editions are the same, but back in the late 80s/90s, I found them useful because they had training plans designed for your fitness level and goals….so maybe worth checking out. (As you probably know, they also run a training program at NYRR, which I took many years ago and found useful as motivation). Best of luck!

• 7 dennis // Nov 29, 2009 at 7:07 pm

ultidad - thanks. Glad to see that your recovery is going well too.

josher47 and gailaj - thanks for those pointers. I’ll check out those training materials. In addition, I’ll contact the nyrr and see if there is a group that I can train with as well.

• 8 scamp1 // Nov 30, 2009 at 6:49 am

Hi dennis,
    Thanks again for a great site, gives a lot of info on our injuries.
    My thigh is wasting away and is becoming like jelly, Please could you or someone let me know of a few good exercises that I can do to keep the muscles in the thigh, ( upper leg ) active and strong. I am into my 4th week of my cast, another 3 to go.
    Thank you.

• 9 tomtom // Nov 30, 2009 at 11:05 am

Dennis - Excellent work! Congratulations. I think it’s great that you’ve given yourself a goal for the marathon. I have a similar goal in mind once I’m back to running again. As for training programs, find something that seems like it will fit your schedule and just make sure you increase the mileage gradually to minimize the chance of injury. 11 months should give you plenty of time to build up a good base so you’ll be ready for the longer runs. Good luck and let us know how the training goes.

• 10 strohdecaire // Dec 1, 2009 at 10:31 am

Congratulations, Dennis…….and, like so many others before me, thanks for building and maintaining this website. Needless to say, it’s certainly been a bright spot and a wealth of information during my recovery. I’m 6+ weeks post-op, FWB is just a couple of weeks away and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a bit brighter. Thanks again………Stroh

• 11 Michael Milford // Dec 8, 2009 at 9:17 am

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the link to my website (www.sub3hour.com) and congratulations on qualifying for the NYC marathon.

Having suffered injuries in other sports (but not running luckily) I can commiserate with the frustration that it can cause - I hope you and all your readers are injury free and fighting fit for your next running goal.

Cheers,

Michael

• 12 kath63 // Dec 25, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Dennis :
    I don’t have a blog but have benefited from others’ and from all of the daily comments of information and support. I am 12 weeks post-op and in party shoes for Christmas. This site has meant a great deal to me in my recovery. On my long days, I got hooked on reading classics via dailylit.com and when I came across this line the other day from Jane Austen I had to share, “Everybody’s heart is open, you know, when they have recently escaped from severe pain, or are recovering the blessing of health.” To me, that explains the generosity and compassion I received every day from a bunch of “virtual” strangers. Thanks and best wishes.
    Kathy

• 13 dennis // Dec 26, 2009 at 3:44 am

kath63 - Nice to hear from you. Yes, I agree with that quote, and thanks for sharing it with us. The injury and the following recovery coincided with some low points in my life, and I was blessed to find some really good people who were going through the recovery process with me at the same time. I am really thankful for it, and I am glad to be maintaining this site to keep it going for others as well. Happy holidays! I am enjoying my time with the family that I don’t see often in SLC for the next week or so, and eating lots of good home cooking!

• 14 Jack Walsh // Jan 14, 2010 at 7:36 am

Dennis:
    I received the Achilles T shirt yesterday - will wear it proudly! Thank you!
    Jack.

• 15 dennis // Jan 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

jack - enjoy your AchillesBlog T-shirt. I wish you speedy recovery! If you like, please feel free to send me a picture. http://achillesblog.com/gallery/Bloggers-n-Tees/

• 16 Personal Injury Solicitors // Dec 14, 2010 at 3:26 am