debuff

Graduation

I’m at 13 weeks post surgery. My physical therapist said my strength is back to normal, so I wouldn’t need to return to PT but should continue doing exercises at home. I should continue to do the 4 way stretch with bands to increase both the dorsiflexion and eversion outward as well as heel lifts and calf stretches. I shouldn’t do the heel hanging off a stair for another month. Any other exercise suggestions?
Walking in shoes with my ankle brace feels pretty secure, however without shoes the sole of my foot is still super sensitive and all the tendons are still really stiff. So I’m rolling it over all kinds of balls and roller bars and frozen water bottles. I am going to deep water aerobics 2x a week. Yesterday I took off my water shoes and tried to flutter kick for the first time- really strange tingles and vulnerable sensations.
I’m excited to drive myself to get a haircut and meet a friend for lunch this week. So it feels like a return to normal activities even though my foot still feels very foreign.

8 Responses to “Graduation”

1. Soldier Jon 29 Jul 2013 at 2:48 pm

That sounds awesome, I am a few weeks behind you. I am hoping to be there in a few weeks. I am at 9 weeks and 4 days. I have not started any strengthening exercised yet. It is goog to hear you are recoverying quickly.

2. superjewgrlon 29 Jul 2013 at 2:49 pm

Congrats on the progress? What kind of ankle brace are you wearing?

Keep up the great work. I’m excited for you.

3. loumar747on 29 Jul 2013 at 6:30 pm

Congratulations on your progress. I’m impressed that your strength is back. I’m at week 12 and definitely have am not at pre-rupture strength. Maybe as I had a complete tendon rupture the recovery is a little different. That being said, I am doing the heel hanging over the step and am supposed to be trying to do one legged heel raises with my body weight supported on a table. My physio also had me on a treadmill at a really low speed, had me walk forward one foot directly in front of the other, then turn sideways do 8-10 sidesteps, then face the back 8-10 steps, then sideways etc. Said to practice at home somewhere on doing the rotations. Other exercises are balancing on the bad leg, eyes closed if possible practising for 3-5 minutes, one legged mini-squats, two legged squats, and a couple of hard to describe glute exercises. She maintains that one of the reasons I’m having trouble getting rid of the limp is because my glutes have atrophied somewhat during the recovery time. Says they are essential. She did also tell me not to do the flutter kick yet so if you’re feeling vulnerable sensations maybe you should back off that for a bit. She said walking backward, forward, sideways in the pool would be better for now. Also, she emphasized how important it is to do the tendon exercise on the foam roller. Hope this helps a little . Again congrats - isn’t driving an absolutely liberating experience?

4. debuffon 31 Jul 2013 at 8:55 am

Thanks. I had my Achilles replaced with my big toe tendon so the bottom of my foot is still VERY sensitive and stiff. I had a hard time believing that my strength had returned. But maybe it had been so weak that I’m so much stronger now,
    don’t know. Sounds like I’m doing the same exercises as you. What are you doing with the foam roller bar? I bought a hard one with raised bumps but my PT said it might irritate more than help. I drove myself to get a haircut yesterday and am meeting a friend for lunch today. Even though my foot still feels really foreign, I’m returning to familiar activities, which is wonderful

5. debuffon 31 Jul 2013 at 9:00 am

Thanks. My brace is a Breg- It’s tied up the front like an athletic shoe then has two long straps that crisscross under my arch and then have Velcro that sticks on the ankle bone on each side. It fits in my shoe fairly well. Hope you heal quickly.

6. kellygirlon 01 Aug 2013 at 1:02 am

Hope your hair cut went well and that lunch was delish! Sounds like you are making terrific progress. Pretty amazing to have your strength back–tis but a dream for me. Your PT sounds just like mine–but I’m doing the hanging off the stair thing. I would think that the deep water aerobics is the best therapy. I would just do calf raises and walk in the water!

7. Ivor Sosaon 27 Feb 2020 at 4:31 am

Graduation is important in everyone’s life to get the degree from the certified place. Accordingly you have to value college paper reviews that are giving the instructions regarding the collection of degree.

8. asdasdasdasdason 17 May 2020 at 8:08 am