Week 2 - Surgery

Monday 5/19/14 - Day 9
This was the day before my surgery. The doctor went over the MRI with me. He told me that there was not much left of my tendon. He said it most of “vaporized” when it happened. He went over the options with me. I could not go through with the surgery and let it try to heal on its own. Or I could go through with the surgery and he could try to suture what was left of my tendon. Or he could use a cadaver tendon to try to repair it. Nothing was confirmed, so I decided to let him open me up and leave the decision up to him when actually saw what was left. After that I went through the pre op, I got some blood drawn, told how everything was going to go. I left the hospital very scared. I didn’t know what would happened and hoped for the best.

Tuesday 5/20/14 - Day 10 - Surgery
Today was the day. I showed up to the hospital still uneasy. I met with my doctor beforehand. He explained the options again. Again I left it up to him. He said the surgery should last about an hour. I then met with the anesthesiologist and he explained what he was going to do. That’s when I went to sleep.

I woke up while the nurse was putting the splint on me. Shortly after my mom and doctor came in. He explained what he did. He said when he opened me up, he found my tendon balled up near my ankle. That was way it didn’t show up on the MRI. He reattached it to the other end. He said my incision was about 12 inches since he had to reattach it near the top. He said had to suture some loose fibers all along my tendon. But other than that everything went fine. I couldn’t have been more happy I didn’t have to use a cadaver tendon. I left the hospital a couple minutes later.

I was not in much pain, I felt like I drank a keg the night before. I also woke up after surgery with my throat hurting. I was later told they stuck a tube down there. It would have been nice to know that before hand. But other than that, I didn’t feel to bad. I sleep the rest of the day.

Wednesday 5/21/14 - 1 Day Post Op
Today was definitely the day I had the most pain. The drugs I was given masked some of pain but when they wore off I was definitely feeling it. I didn’t do much but try to rest. When I couldn’t sleep I was watching Numb3rs on Netflix. This show definitely filled most of my time.

Thursday and Friday I didn’t do much. I felt better everyday. Saturday was my first day out. I decided to go with my mom and drive an hour and a half to my nephew’s promotion/birthday dinner. I promised to be there, and I was going to let my achilles stop me. It was definitely nice to get out of bed and do something. But this time I had almost no pain in my leg. The drive was nice. Sunday I got out of the house again. It was my sister’s birthday so we went out to brunch. After I ate ,I left them and went to the mall next door. While scooting around, I was getting weird looks by everyone. Like they hadn’t seen someone using a scooter for a leg injury. Oh well, I didn’t let them get to me and I went exploring. After that I spent the rest of the day resting at home.

No Comment

Comments are closed.