Post Op Doc 2 weeks and GOING GREAT!!!

March 4th, 2016

Post op 2 week check up and everything is going GREAT! Stitches were removed. No infection and steri strips put on. Was told everything looked good on the xrays they took today and was told to go to PWB!!! Yeah like I wasn’t already doing that last week!!! SHHHH!!! Don’t tell on me! They said my foot would let me know when I am doing too much and after leaving the doctor’s office I walked around in the boot shopping and tonight it is sore and swollen so I have elevated and iced it. Hoping that in 2 weeks I will be given the okay to drive again - it’s my right foot of course so I’m going insane not being able to drive. Discussed the surgery with the doctor today and found out that the bone spur was HUGE and my achilles WAS detached already. He was surprised I was walking on it before the surgery. He complimented me on my pain tolerence and stamina. Who would have thought this overweight, stubborn woman would have it in her to keep pushing on! He did say that I had better not push it because of the high pain tolerence I might be more apt to reinjure it so I’d better watch it! Guess I might want to behave! HA! We’ll see!!!

10 Responses to “Post Op Doc 2 weeks and GOING GREAT!!!”

1. beanie on March 5, 2016 12:28 pm

Great news Crzykdsmom! Take care and enjoy! I have a feeling your PWB is going to be FWB in no time. All the best!

2. Crzykdsmom on March 5, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks Beanie!!! I certainly hope so! It definately lets me know when I’ve done enough! Went spring break clothes shopping with the 17 year old daughter! UGH! Wore me OUT!!! Sitting with the foot up so I can go out tonight and go to the movies with my husband, son and daughter-in-law! I’ve already lost 1 steri strip and 3 more are 1/2 off! Hope it doesn’t reopen the cut!

3. metonia on March 5, 2016 5:54 pm

Crzykdsmom, loosing the steristrips may mean your foot is sweating to much in the boot. I suggest getting some and replacing the missing and loose ones for the next week. Then it shouldn’t matter. Take this from someone who didn’t have steristrips and a sweaty foot in the boot. Watch for signs of infection. Keep the area clean and dry as much as you can until the incision is good and sealed tight. You can put a telfa pad over the incision when in the boot to help prevent any extra rubbing against the boot too. Be sure it is snug enough around the ankle and you should be fine.
    My incision opened in less than a week after stitches were removed and I’m having all kinds of trouble because of it now.

4. Crzykdsmom on March 5, 2016 9:41 pm

Metonia, Great minds think alike! I bought some steri strips and Tegaderm waterproof dressings. I am also wearing clean socks everyday and resting with my foot up and out of the boot when I’m at home. I am a FANATIC about not getting infection. Even if I have to use hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs to keep it clean!!! Doing good so far but been up on it too much since yesterday. I am hoping tomorrow I can sit around at home for a while! Thanks for the suggestions. I hope you are on the mend!

5. metonia on March 5, 2016 10:06 pm

BE careful with the waterproof dressing. It can keep moisture in as well as out and you want the incision to be able to breath.

6. Crzykdsmom on March 6, 2016 3:45 pm

Will do metonia! Good reminder. I will probably only use it when I shower with the boot cover on it. Just added protection. Having a great day today in Indiana!!! 56 degrees Farenheit and sunny. Got my greenhouse up and started some seeds. Come on SPRING!!!

7. sunny on March 6, 2016 7:00 pm

Hey there, careful not to overdo. I am at week 7, with Haglund surgery. I am posting on nomorepumpbump.wordpress.com as I came across this awesome website later. It is hard to do all the mom stuff, but I have had a couple setbacks (minor) by pushing it. Sounds like youre doing great. Just be careful.

8. Crzykdsmom on March 6, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks Sunny! Yeah not doing too much is kind of a challenge. Today I KNOW I did. Currently sitting in the recliner with ice on my elevated foot. Been a challenging week. My family can’t seem to stay out of hospitals. Uncle had back surgery, aunt had sinus surgery, cousin had neck surgery, mom has been in the ER for breathing difficulties in Florida and got called this morning and had to go to the ER here in Indiana for a church member. I told everyone to go to their perspective homes and either sit in a chair or lay in their beds until next month! But I do feel like I am doing pretty well. Just minor pains and swelling usually. Thankful that my church friends have REALLY come through with preparing meals for us. I have only had to reheat meals and that has been AMAZING!!! Originally they thought I had Haglund’s bump but did xrays and when they got in it wasn’t. The heel had LARGE amount of bone spur and had partially tore my Achilles. Hang in there. And feel free to check in here! We all seem to understand each others issues more than even our families!!!

9. metonia on March 7, 2016 8:03 pm

I’ve only been in the boot (from basically in bed 4 weeks and NWB) 4 days and I’m finding it very addictive. Meaning I’m either up walking about or sitting with foot on the floor all day instead of resting it, elevating it or taking the boot off to exercise. I don’t have much of a swelling problem thank goodness.

I quickly found NOT doing those things made it much more painful and difficult when I finally settled for the night to do them. Simple ROM started out impossible and painful. Thankfully after a few tries I was able to get almost back to what I had during NWB but that little bit of loss and pain, taught me… Rest, Elevate, Remove boot for both… often.

10. Manny on March 7, 2016 9:53 pm

Metonia, moving into a boot certainly opens up the possibility of being mobile, which is great! But it is also painful… as you found out. But, I also decided that if there are aggressive rehab protocols that put people FWB on the boot from day 1, why shouldn’t I do as musch as I could? of course the rule “if it hurts, don’t do it”, doesn’t cover the aches and pains and swellings of using the foot… :-)
    As for taking the boot off to rest the foot, I actually only opened the boot to rest the foot when the pain reminded me I was overdoing it. Being non surgical, I did not want to risk messing up the tendon or stretching it, so I stayed in the protective shell of the boot without the covering that compressed the foot.

It is wonderful to know that you are progessing, metonia!
    Manny