Another Milestone Reached - a shower!

February 23rd, 2016

Day 4 and first day by myself went great. Fixed my own breakfast, coffee (put in a travel mug), lunch, worked on laptop, and with the help of my husband, took my first shower. THAT was a challenge! In preparation to surgery I installed a dual showerhead. One that has a handheld wand that has a pause button on the hand part. Got the water turned on and switched to handheld only, then paused it. My husband put a large, plastic step stool in our neo angle shower stall. Put on a boot cover over my boot. He helped lower me to the stool and was able to use wand to wet my hair, paused it, washed, rinsed then conditioned my hair. Soaped myself and rinsed off. My husband then helped lift me up and I used my knee scooter to balance while drying off. It felt WONDERFUL! I hadn’t read anything about preparing for surgery. Some of the things I have learned that make a HUGE difference- 1) toilet seat lift 2) knee scooter 3) water bottle 4) a little bag to put things in that hangs over the handle of the scooter ( I put my cell phone, remote controls, medicine, pen, paper, etc) These things have made my life SO much easier and I can be pretty independent during the day when the family is at work and school. BEST advise I can say off of here - KEEP YOUR FOOT ELEVATED!!! Day 4 and haven’t taken any pain meds except tylenol and anti inflammation meds. I am NOT a patient person but so far not too bad. I am hoping after doctor visit on Friday that I can go and enjoy dinner out. We’ll see. Biggest issue for me is keeping from wanting to get up all the time. I am not used to sitting around. But I have 2 graduations to plan and am working on invitations and stuff to feel that I am getting something accomplished. Sorry to ramble on but am glad for this site!

7 Responses to “Another Milestone Reached - a shower!”

1. Manny on February 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Great news, Crzykdsmom! During our recovery we start appreciating the small things in life, including real showers! I have to congratulate you for thinking of installing a good handheld shower unit. :-)
    During my “wheelchair” weeks, before I was Full Weight Bearing, I used a belt pouch for my cell phone, pen, paper, and such… my house is not scooter nor crutch friendly… :-)
    Have a great day and keep up the posts!…. Manny

2. beanie on February 23, 2016 6:30 pm

crzykdsmom I think you should definitely go and enjoy a dinner out on Friday! I turned 40 the week after surgery. My present was supposed to be a trip to Fiji to celebrate but Drs told me no way. Staying home for my 40th would have been too depressing, so my hubby took me out for dinner. I felt embarrassed and awkward with my cast and crutches and clumsiness, but the restaurant gave me an extra chair so I could keep my leg up and it was fantastic to be out and about in the world again. My leg got a bit tired and achy, but it was definitely worth it. I hope your Drs appt goes well!

3. crzykdsmom on February 23, 2016 10:42 pm

beanie - sorry about Fiji. 40 isn’t so bad. I’m 52 and just look at it as a number. I actually went out tonight with my daughter to get some stuff to keep me busy when it snows tomorrow and Thursday. I did fine except got REALLY tired and the knee scooter started hurting my back where I had the spinal block. I was not very graceful but survived! Looking forward to watching the snow fall and NOT have to get out in it Tomorrow. Maybe Fiji next year!

4. pozaicer on February 24, 2016 3:37 pm

great progress. i have come to terms with the temporary disability and hope that you do to crzykdsmom

two days after breaking my AT i went out for dinner with friends and then to have a drink at nearby bar (it took 10 minutes to go down one flight of stars, then 10 go back up, then 25 minutes to walk about 200 meters to the bar). five days after the first cast and diagnosis i had a second appointment with the consultant, i was told that going to work and doing my life with the injury was ‘effing crazy’ … but i was determined to challenge that. the day i got the second, and lighter, cast i went away to stay with family and did a full 280 mile trip by public transport.

of course it is not ‘pleasant’ to sit in the disabled area/seat, to be looked down, to sweat like a pig because you have to carry your weight in crutches (my case), tying a bin liner to your cast to keep it dry (bless the UK!), to wear baggy clothes so you can put the cast in an out through them, etc. but you know what, sod it, people have put up with worse situations and if people are so little mind them then good luck to them. so cheer up and go to dinners, do your life and one day you’ll look back and laugh at the silliness the you felt!

keep the good work up!

suerte

5. Crzykdsmom on February 24, 2016 6:11 pm

pozaicer,
    Not worrying too much about it all. I am just thankful that it doesn’t hurt and I seem to be doing great.

I have sat here watching 8″ of snow fall and am enjoying life! I have sat and made 2 fairy gardens that make me feel spring is coming soon. Life is GOOD!!!

I visited the UK about 2006 and was in a boot then (for plantar facitis). Getting used to and riding the London Underground wasn’t great but at least I got to go and see England! It was a bit rainy but not every day so we enjoyed ourselves.

Hope your bars and restaurants are on the main level. When we went there were quite a few steps to manouver.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

6. metonia on February 25, 2016 7:13 pm

glad to see things went well Crzykdsmom. I’ve had one shower in the past 3 weeks. Me and my sponge are well acquainted though. A fall with my first shower has kept me gun shy from trying it again. I’m hoping for one tomorrow wish me luck.

7. grannykat on February 25, 2016 8:32 pm

Hey, crzykdsmom! Great news about the shower!! I’m looking forward to my first this weekend.