Exercise prior to surgery?

January 6th, 2016

I won’t be having surgery until late February.  I am overweight and have been dieting to loose some weight.  I do have a problem with my left knee but my foot surgery will be on my right foot.  I was wondering if anyone has tried knee or leg strenthening exercises on the non surgical leg prior to surgery?  If so, what did you do?  I can hardly walk on my bad foot so it has to be seated exercises.  Thanks!

10 Responses to “Exercise prior to surgery?”

1. amag3232 on January 6, 2016 11:09 am

Id recommend working on balancing on one leg while performing any exercise. There will be times where you’ll need to stand on one leg after surgery. Working on the hips/glutes is also important because you’ll limp alot and it’ll irritate your hips and low back.

2. crzykdsmom on January 6, 2016 7:52 pm

amag3232,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually thinking of talking to a personal trainer to help. I don’t figure it would hurt.

3. Metonia on January 9, 2016 12:08 am

I am also scheduled for achilles tendon surgury in February. I completed PT and Aqua therapy but it didn’t help my problem much. I’m also overweight and have bad knees along with most of my joints. I had not thought of the one legged balance problems, nor the amount of time I’d be bedfast. I still have to see my doctor for all my pre-op stuff but think if you can tolerate exercising the ankle and tendons (depending on the cause of your problem) it would help to get them in as good as shape as possible pre-op

4. crzykdsmom on January 11, 2016 11:35 am

Metonia,
    I am working on balance on my left , right is to have surgery, and it seems to help. I have just been practicing standing on the left leg and i can tell the left leg is stronger already.

I am going to do my preop early February but I have also been trying to loose some weight before then. Walking is painful but I am using a recumbent bike to work both legs. I am also doing stretching my achilles by flexing and pointing my feet. A suggestion by my daughter-in-law who is a ballerina.

Good luck on your surgery and I’ll catch up with you later!

5. Manny on January 11, 2016 5:18 pm

crzkdsmom, I did some minor exercising before my ATR, and at two weeks renexed most of my routine. I have to say that upper body strength is still a problem for me, because while non weight bearing NWB, if you have regular crutches, that’s murder on your hands, arms and shoulders. I’d definitely look at the knee crutch as an alternative if I were to repeat the experience. The knee crutch would also allow you to exercise your legs and keep your back and hips in decent shape.
    Being overweight means we will stress the rest of our body when one part is recovering. No fun, and lots of aches and pains. I fell twice with my crutches, and have been feeling pain in my right shoulder for the duration, since using crutches to go up and down steps still requires an effort

Routines: 10-20 min of stationary bicycle at low resistance to keep me limber;
    Upper body calesthenics and stretches, and isometrics with rubber bands to strengthen my arms and shoulders,
    air cycling while on my back, to strengthen leg and back muscles, some days I can do 39 continuous movements, others only 10… I go with the flow.
    Push ups from the arms of a chair or wheelchair, as far as I can go, to gain strength.
    As you can see, I am not ready to do floor pushups or other awesome exercises, since I haven’t been able to do them for well over 20 years….

I hope this helps! Good luck with the crazy kids! “-_)

6. metonia on January 11, 2016 6:46 pm

I’ve been waiting for my own blog page here for a few days. Hopefully it won’t be much longer until I’m given one. Meanwhile I’m looking forward to catching up and following everyone’s progress. It will be nice having someone going through the same things at about the same time as myself. Since money is tight to non-exsistant I’m thinking of putting my brilliant hubby to work “inventing” a knee crutch for me out of a folding chair lol

7. crzykdsmom on January 12, 2016 7:23 am

Manny and Metonia,
    Thanks for responding! Manny, good ideas! I am using recumbent bike and balancing on one foot to strengthen the non surgical foot/leg. Doing some stretches and didn’t think about the arms. I do a lot of arm work when setting up for weddings ( I am a wedding and event specialist). But lifting some kettlebells that I have would help. Thanks for the idea!

Metonia, I would suggest checking with the drs office about the knee crutch. Or with some churches. Our church keeps a supply of wheelchairs, walkers, etc. in a storage room. I bought a knee scooter from Amazon. It was only about $20.00 more than renting one for a month! You could possibly make one out of 4 casters ( i’d say heavy duty ones) and a milk crate with a pillow on it. Then you could put a broom handle on it with plumbing clamps? Just an idea!

Good luck both of you. And I will let you know how things are going!

8. Crzykdsmom on February 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Post surgery day 3. I’ve stumbled SEVERAL times but not gone all the way down. Pain isn’t too bad except when I’m up too long. A couple of things - 1) Doc put me into an air cast removable boot. Question I have is I wasn’t told if/when I am suppose to “pump” it up? Currently when I do it it puts pressure on the stitches so I don’t think I should. Anyone been told differently? 2) Post op instructions say to elevate and ice 30 minutes on 30 mintues off BUT the doc told me to keep the boot on (especially when I’m up). Foot feels MUCH better when boot is off. Which way is it? Boot on all the time or off when I’m down? FYI people preparing - get a toilet seat booster! MAJOR problems getting on and off the toilet until I got it. I’m not real tall 5′8″ but MUCH better with lift! No one told me about it!

9. Manny on February 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Welcome to our group, Crzykdsmom! 3 days after surgery and no pain? Great!
    I am non-op, and got my boot at two weeks. I, too, found the air pump to be a bit weird… sometimes it helped, most of the time I didn’t use it. Just try it. Now for the second question: taking off the boot to ice the foot: if it hurts, lay down and ice it, then leave it elevated for a while. Even just taking the foot out of the boot and elevating it is helpful (I had to do it on Christmas Eve and other long days, but only when you are alone and know you won’t be startled into getting up and putting weight on the injured foot.
    Now, as for the booster seat, I can understand though I only tried it once - storage was an issue in the bathroom I used while recuperating.
    But… I thought moms with crazy kids didn’t have time for bathroom breaks… LOL
    Good luck with the kids and with your recovery! Enjoy the boot - it is a wonder of modern technology!
    Manny

10. Crzykdsmom on February 22, 2016 9:39 am

Manny,
    Thanks for the welcome. Day 4 (or 3 - not sure whether to count surgery day as day 1!) Boot is fitting better -still not pumping it up. Just hurts when I do that. But manoeuvering much better. First day without hubby or kids and seem to be getting along fine. No pain, fixed breakfast, got dressed, cleaned, while sitting, by my chair and working some on my laptop.

As for the bathroom - I’m finding out that I have to start getting ready to get up when I first think I have to go. Then I’m ready to roll. Kids are good - for the most part. I do NOT know how people get along without the knee scooter! AMAZING!!! Still need crutches to transfer but I can get around SO MUCH BETTER WITH IT!

Glad to have found this group! I am NOT a patient person and will be CLIMBING the wall. I already am wanting to get up and clean and cook. I know I have to behave but DANG! Oh well, nap time folks! LATER!