My Inspiration!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Amber. I’m a 20 Year-Old female in college. I stumbled across this blog when I first tore my achilles and I’ve been connected to it ever since. I used this as my hope when I was first injured to somehow convince myself that it wasn’t torn, but as i kept reading that hope clearly diminished. I have read so many other stories and it helps to know that there are people who have and are also going through the same things that I am. All hope isn’t lost.

To those who have gone through this ordeal already, thank you for your stories. They give me hope and understanding of what’s to come. To all of those who are still struggling, we will get through it. This is the start of a long journey for me.

13 Comments »

1. Vicki Said,

April 24, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

Unfortunately, you have joined our club. Welcome! You will find lots of inspiration and help here. I know I did.

At least you were having some fun when it happened!

Happy Healing and keep us posted.

Vicki

2. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 24, 2014 @ 1:20 pm

Thanks Vicki!
    I hope to be an inspiration just as you all are for me.
    And yes my last bit of fun for a while. lol

But thanks again, I really appreciate it.

3. davidk Said,

April 26, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Amber, so sorry you joined this “club”! It really doesn’t seem fair in your case at all–20 years old, and from jumping rope of all things. On the bright side, I would think your age will help you in your recovery. For your blog, I’d recommend you look into adding the ATR Timeline and NYC Marathon widgets–from the Dashboard, under Tools. The timeline gives readers some immediate context of you and your ATR status, and I find the marathon map helpful to track my recovery progress–how far I’ve come, and how far I have yet to go. Best of luck to you! -David

4. normofthenorth Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 12:17 am

+1 to everything David said except one thing (apology in advance): At least from the sample that posts and blogs here, I’ve seen no fast-rehab edge to the young folks, and possibly the opposite. We’ve certainly had a few young patients here who’ve had frustrating setbacks, maybe more than their share — maybe because this rehab takes a lot of patience and Watching One’s Step, and “still-immortal” youngsters are more likely to be “non-compliant” patients. More unproven impressions from me. (What’s gotten into me recently?!?)

5. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Thank you David, and I keep hearing that since I’m young then maybe it’ll help me recover a little faster but seeing is believing and I think I have a LONG way to go. But I will definitely add the marathon map and ATR timeline.

Thanks again!

6. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

I agree with you 100%. I do believe it is a lot harder for people my age to recover faster because we are hard headed. I find myself pushing my limits even though I know I’m not supposed. I mean I sometimes believe that the youthfulness of our bodies will aid the ability to heal a little faster but the impatience will keep us from doing so. You are absolutely right. I find myself thinking, I can’t wait until I can walk again wishing there were other ways to get to that point a little faster. But this is an injury that forces you to be patient unless you want to be setback a little further. I am slowly learning that.

7. normofthenorth Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 6:58 pm

Amber, when I open most of you post pages, I can’t see a way to add a comment. Never had that problem before (obviously!!). ; And just recently, your “Comments By Section” page showed up as if it’s a new post. Also new to me. Maybe Dennis knows what’s going on. . .

8. normofthenorth Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

And in response to yours: Physically, almost all ATR patients end up somewhere between maybe 94% and 104% of where we were the day before the rupture. But mentally and spiritually, many people here report net lasting benefits — the long-term gain from the not-so-short-term pain (and immobility and dependency and frustration and withdrawal from our fave activities, etc., etc.) And the chance to see some of our friends and relatives in a different way/role.

9. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 28, 2014 @ 12:16 am

i see! I just recently tried a new layout but I’m back to my old one. I believe everything should work now. If not please let me know? and thank you lol! i wouldn’t have ever known.

10. davidk Said,

April 28, 2014 @ 9:14 am

Amber, FYI, your site, at least for me, will only show and accept comments related to this one post. Every other post of yours has no comment section. I’ve never seen this before–suggest you query Dennis. -David

11. davidk Said,

April 28, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Although I’ve never noticed before, at the bottom of a blog post–while creating or editing–there’s an attribute that says “Allow comments”. Mine seem to be checked by default to allow, but I wonder if yours are. Anyways, if you’re interested in changing, check this out. it appears that you can selectively allow comments, or not, on each blog post independently. -David

12. normofthenorth Said,

April 28, 2014 @ 9:45 pm

Good catch (again), David! :-)

13. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 30, 2014 @ 6:23 pm

Thanks David. I believe it was my layout. I think it’s fixed now.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI