Back to My Childhood.

I tore my achilles on April 9, 2014 while I was at school. Some friends and I decided that we would jump Double Dutch in our down time since there was nothing going on that day on campus. This was not the first time that we jumped this semester. We had been out there for a couple of hours and everyone was having fun, laughing and carrying on. I won’t say that I’m an expert jumper. I can’t do what they do at official double dutch competitions, but I can do a few tricks or two.

This particular day I was trying out something new and decided to learn how to jump in backwards. I accomplished it a few times, but I was determined to master it before we were done. I didn’t know that when I tried it again it would not only be my last time but the reason for creating this blog in the first place. I jumped in the rope, felt a pop and started laughing because I thought someone had jumped in with me and ran into me. But I couldn’t keep jumping. I turned around and asked who kicked me, but all my friends looked at me like I was crazy because no one was in the rope with me. They all saw what happened, so when I tried to walk away and felt pain shooting up my calf it took no one by surprise. I knew it wasn’t a sprain because I’ve sprained my ankle plenty of times to know what it feels like. My achilles instantly swelled up. Im a pre-nursing major and I’ve taken Anatomy and Physiology. I was aware that I had injured my achilles but to what extent I wasn’t sure. I knew that it connected my foot to my calf muscle and if I couldn’t walk then something was seriously wrong. It wasn’t until I felt my achilles up and down and noticed the gap in between that I realized I had torn it. My friends were like no maybe you just need ice the swelling will go away, but I already knew at that moment.

When I tell people how I tore it, they all look at me like I’m nuts. I don’t blame them. I feel like this is the silliest way to be injured, especially with an injury as serious as this. I’ve ran track from my sophomore year in high school until my sophomore year in college and I NEVER had an injury besides your normal sore and occasionally bruised up muscles and bones. But to be injured from jumping rope really puts the icing on the cake. I was so upset and I’m still upset every time I think about putting my foot down to walk. A childhood pastime gone wrong is all i can say.

6 Comments »

1. sporti Said,

April 26, 2014 @ 10:55 am

I’m so sorry that you’re having to deal with this while in college! It’s simply not fair that someone your age and seemingly active and fit would have an ATR. It sounds like you’ve got a great attitude which is seemingly mandatory for this recovery. I gotta say though that I don’t agree with you or anyone else that the way you hurt yourself was silly. Why would a normal fun activity such as that be silly just because your achilles tendon decided it was time to give out right then? It didn’t read like you did anything careless or less strenuous than you would normally do. I’m curious if you had been having any soreness in your calf/foot in the days/weeks prior to your injury?

2. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 26, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Yes it truly sucks. And I know it sounds crazy but the only reason I believe its silly is because the way people look at me when I tell them how I did it. I am 5′9 and the first thing people ask me is was I playing basketball and when I say no, jumping double dutch they just give me this look lol. I am always embarrassed to say how I did it. And actually no. No pain, soreness or anything before that day. I’ve been perfectly fine, even in my track days. My guess is I just landed wrong. We were on concrete so I’m not sure if that could factor into anything?

3. normofthenorth Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 12:11 am

Hey, skipping rope is a time-honoured aerobic exercise, used by a bunch of top athletes! And it’s got the explosive jumping action — and a combination of (repeated) concentric and eccentric exercise — that puts a lot of stress on your ATs.
    Besides, if you want to win the prize for silly ATRs, you have to get in line behind Misty May Treanor. After a long carreer at the very top of the world’s pro beach volleyball players (including a Gold Medal the first year it was an Olympic sport), she R’d her AT in a rehearsal for an appearance on Dancing With the Stars! It actually makes perfect sense, since boogying in squeaky shoes on a clean polished floor is harder on the AT than playing aggressive 2-on-2 beach volleyball on sand — but it still sounds sillier than yours, IMO.
    And when I did PT during rehab for my first ATR (yes, I’ve torn them BOTH now!), it was at the University of Toronto Sports Medicine clinic, and there was at least one undergraduate (female) ATR patient rehabbing there while I was (at 56!).
    ATRs are more common among 30-40-ish year olds, but they definitely happen among you young sprouts too.

4. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 27, 2014 @ 4:16 pm

I guess you’re right lol. It does seem odd that she was injured doing something other than volleyball. It’s more so the reaction of other people that makes me laugh at the situation. When I explain to them what happened they look at me like really? Jumping rope? you can’t be serious. I just laugh along with them because I know it sounds crazy. And you tore both!? Wow. I would’ve hated to go through that again especially on my good leg. I hope all is well with you now. And a lot of people say that ATR are common to those well older than me but I thought it was a very common issue to any age especially those who are active. But I’m learning otherwise.

5. kellygirl Said,

April 28, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

I can’t figure out where the comment section is in your last post but can you talk to someone at the administration office and see if you can’t get some assistance to and from classes? There must be a wheelchair service or something for a temporary injury. I can’t imagine schlepping around with books while on crutches on a hilly campus. It makes my arms ache just thinking about it.

6. crippled4bnsilly Said,

April 30, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

No, I don’t think so. There is a shuttle service but it runs on its on schedule so its not very helpful. I’ve talked to my professors they have been very accommodating so luckily I haven’t had any issues. And I walked with my crutches to class one time with a book bag on my back. My armpits were burning after two minutes lol. It truly sucks.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI