Hey folks,

Just a quick update to let you know that, on 5/3, exactly 18 months post-ATR, I ran my first-ever marathon (longest previous race: 10k) in Orange County, California. Final time 4:06. Pretty stoked.

The message for those of you starting out, part way through, or still going through post-ATR in some way is that, when you look at that NYC marathon chart on the blog and it seems like a long way away or that you’re not progressing like you want, know that you CAN and WILL not only make it through recovery and rehab, but you can still achieve things you never even did (or maybe never even dreamed of doing) before ATR.

Good luck to you all!

Coast2Coast

==

Comments

7 Comments so far

1. LindaF on May 19, 2015 5:17 PM

Congratulations on your first marathon and great recovery. Thanks for posting and letting us know this positive news.

2. kimc on May 23, 2015 5:54 PM

Congratulations! That first marathon is an incredible accomplishment - and this one all the more so being post-ATR. Good for you!

3. smick on May 26, 2015 12:45 PM

Congrats! I think I remember your posts when I injured mine last year and was around three months behind you. Thanks for the inspiration and great news on your recovery!

4. oscillot on May 31, 2015 5:36 PM

Are there any training tips you can share? Did you train long and slow, or with intervals? My goal is to run marathons again, but the idea of putting in the miles seems so far away right now (I’m only 3.5 weeks post-op).

5. skelonas on May 31, 2015 7:48 PM

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to post and encourage us still working through the hard phases! Congrats on your achievement!

6. Spwebb on June 13, 2015 12:00 PM

Congratulations! As a former (and future!) marathon runner who is struggling a bit 10 days post-ATR surgery, I was really moved and encouraged by your post. Thank you. I really needed to read it today. All your persistence, hard work, and patience paid off!

7. coast2coast on June 15, 2015 4:57 PM

Hey Oscillot — sure thing! Even at 3.5 MONTHS post-op I could barely imagine running a 5k, much less 26.2. I followed a pretty standard training regimen starting about 5 months before the race: long runs (10-20 miles) on Saturdays, one mid-range day (3-7 miles), and one intervals day each week (though sometimes I skipped intervals). Also biking, some weight lifting (though less than I’d normally like to do, ’cause all those miles take time!), and lots and lots of stretching, icing, and rolling, and diet changes to accommodate the training. It should be easier for you, since you ran marathons before, but I played team/sprint sports my whole life before deciding to go for 26.2, so it was a big change psychologically and physiologically. Good luck!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Name (required)