Hi all, new to this whole game but wanted to give people an update on a newly torn achilles.
April 15 ,2015
- Playing basketball and tore my achilles while retrieving the ball (PS I was doing this while playing on a Torn ACL… not wise)
April 17, 2015
- Surgery for a complete rupture of the achilles. On crutches and elevating for a solid 1 week. Had to return to work after 1 week
- Tips: rest and elevate. You can’t really ice it as it’s in a cast.
May 4, 2015 (2 weeks post-op)
- Stitches removed. There was a stitch right underneath a scab so it killed so bad…
- Still on crutches, no weight bearing (though I do read people start weight bearing at this stage, my doctor is very conservative)
May 15, 2015 (4 weeks post-op)
I kept talking to people and reading that get in a boot ASAP. You can increase ankle ROM and be able to breath. Plus you can actually shower if you would like.
There have been studies it is a faster recovery rate, no difference in re-ruptures, and no difference in the long-run.
For me, I need to recover faster so I can get under the knife for my next ACL surgery (FML).
My surgeon did not want to fit me in a boot but I pushed for this and told him I’d be very cautious about everything.
May 23, 2015 (5 weeks post-op)
- I was partially weight being from the week before. I kept reading everywhere that you can start weight bearing in week 2 and go onto FWB as tolerated. My doctor told me not to even touch the ground until 6 weeks post-op.
My first step on the ground was weird, I needed my roommate to be by my side just in case. I did a couple of laps but couldn’t even lift my bad foot off the ground. It was progress at least.
May 24, 2015 (5 weeks + 1 day post-op)
I am convinced the sooner I could walk was the sooner I could get better. It would help with calf atrophy (my calf ifs about half the size of my good, torn ACL leg), help with recovery, and improve blood flow.
I decided to try again to walk with and without a boot. I was able to do this without my roomate by my side and just was super careful. It was a success. By May 25 ,2015, I was full weight bearing in my boot and went to the beach and out to a bar. I continued to do laps around my bedroom without a boot. It felt great to even touch the ground and move.
Since I got my boot (4 weeks post-op), I performed ankle ROM 2x a day and this has significantly improved my ROM. I am seeing my surgeon and physio tomorrow (6 weeks post-op) and will post again.
Pain - there hasn’t been much pain other than when performing some ROM exercises I feel the tendon is tight.
Scab - my scab hasn’t healed as well as I would have thought. Looks to be dried blood still at 6 weeks post op.
Thanks for listening and continuing to work hard… it can be worse (I have re-torn my ACL in my left knee, rupture Achilles on right side)