Chelynne’s Achilles Blog

January 16, 2010

Not Again

Filed under: Uncategorized — chelynne @ 9:29 pm and

10 months ago I had a full achilles rupture on my right foot.  I was recovering nicely.  For about 3 months I have been running.  I just started taking yoga which was really helping my range of motion in my right foot and helping to break up the scar tissue.  I decided that I was ready to go back to Wallyball, the sport I was playing when the injury occurred.  It was my second night back, I had stretched well and was fully warmed up.  About an hour into the game I was running for the ball and all of the sudden I felt a pop in the back of my left foot.  I immediately fell to the floor.  I knew right then and there that I had ruptured the other one.  All I could think was, “I don’t want to go through this again.”  It was in fact a complete tear of my left achilles.  I had surgery yesterday.

6 Comments »

1. Oh my gosh, Cheylynne I am so so sorry to hear this. You must be devastated. At least you know what is to come, and you know you are strong enough to get through it. God Bless, sending healing thoughts your way.

Comment by MaryK — January 17, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

2. I am so sorry and I will quit moaning about the pain and boredom right now. You will be possibly half feeling you know what’s to come and the rest devestated. What a b—-r, just when you were getting there. I know how that feels a bt cos I had years not playing squash until I did this on my first league game.

Like mary says, will send healing thoughts, and a maid if I find one…..

Comment by linda atterton — January 17, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

3. This is sending chills through our spines…. someone was musing the other day here how probable it is to pop the other tendon.
    I do feel for you. I guess you do not need advice - but can provide some to the others here if you are too bored.
    Wish you rapid recovery!

Comment by 2ndtimer — January 17, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

4. Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement! I will definitely continue to share my “words of wisdom.”

Comment by chelynne — January 19, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

5. You’re obviously a quick study, Chelynne! It took me 8 years after my first ATR before I tore the other one.

One of the studies linked from maybe the Main AchillesBlog.com Page discusses the probability of “transaxial” ATRs — at least I think that’s what they call what we’ve done, tearing the other one later.

That study showed that something like 5% of the ATR people had torn the other one within the first 4.5 years (IIRC). And that made ATR people around 200 TIMES more likely to tear their other AT than “normal people”.

Maybe a combo of factors — genetic pre-disposition, aggressive behaviour in high-risk sports, possible loss of tone during recovery from the first one, who knows? I’ve never heard of any of my relatives tearing an AT, but I also don’t have many relatives who play aggressive competitive 4-on-4 court volleyball (and 2-on-2 beach volleyball!) with 30-year-olds, at 64!

The only really dumb part of that article was the suggestion that ATR patients should be advised to avoid high-risk activities to avoid tearing the other one! I mean, REALLY! I had 7 years of great fun and terrific cardio-vascular activity, all the while knowing I was risking the other AT. And I hope this one will heal up well enough to let me return to the volleyball court, preferably at the same level.

Comment by normofthenorth — January 20, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

6. Cheylynne, Hope you are doing OK during this difficult time. You have been in my prayers.

Comment by maryk — January 23, 2010 @ 6:38 pm