Jan 08

So I have been FWB 2 shoes for 3.5 weeks, and much has happened. Walking of course being the main one!  The limp has improved and my range of motion is much better through just the excercises I was given to do at home. I have my first NHS physio on Monday and am really looking forward to pushing it a little more. The foot still takes some management, exercises, massage, elevate, ice massage etc but it all helps.

I decided to drive around the 13 week mark, just close distances, dont feel comfortable doing the 1 hour commute to the office just yet and will wait for the physio to clear me before I tackle that one. Its easier to drive than walk surprisingly! Its just fantastic to get that freedom back, brings back so much normality and independance.

One of the first places I drove myself…the gym. Straight on the bike, lets see what I can do. Its not too bad, the tendon pulls a tiny bit and I stop if it becomes uncomfortable, which it hasnt really. So for a week and half or so I have been at the gym most days, 20 mins on the bike everytime, wow its….sweat!! How I missed the burn!! I have realised however that the bike is painfully slow at burning any calories. Back on the weight training fairly comfortably, again great to have aching muscles.

A friend drove me to the office, my first day back (I have been working from home) was low in productivity but great to catch up with everyone!

All in all, Im starting to feel “normal” again. Certainly more positive and looking forward to the challenge of physio. Im so thankful to be over those earlier “why me!?” days.

Good luck in your recoveries!

22 comments so far

1. 1 mari
    8:08 pm - 1-8-2010

Yeah, I’ve been driving for a week now too and what freedom.

I also went back to work and that made me so tired!

Take care!

2. 2 diane
    10:02 pm - 1-8-2010

congratulations hearing stories like yours gives me hope I am on week 8 and still needing to depend on people for everything so I can’t wait to be where you are.

3. 3 Kevin
    3:01 am - 1-11-2010

Good news, Chana. I’m about the same, as you know. Can handle driving short distances and am driving to work again now - but that’s 7-8 miles.

My physio’s told me to start swimming (normal swimming and exercises in the water) and also some bike work at the gym, so that’s next for me.

Finally: heel raises/lifts. Just started doing those. They sure show up your weakness!

4. 4 Chana7
    6:16 am - 1-11-2010

Kevin, had my first NHS physio today who started me on the heel raises. Yep you really feel how weak your calf is!! Lot a work ahead me thinks…

5. 5 Tosh
    9:30 am - 1-11-2010

Chana7

My Achilles Tendom snapped last October. I had an op in Nov and saw the consultant on 8th Jan after 9 weeks in various casts with 3 more to go. He said that the ankle will do its own physio and that I do not need any other physio. I am interested that you are getting physio on the NHS. Did your consultant say physio was essential?

6. 6 Chana7
    10:23 am - 1-11-2010

Hi Andrew (or Tosh now?),

I can’t recall him ever saying it was essential but it was just part of the treatment. However, its been four weeks since Ive been out of the boot and the physio who saw me was surprised that I hadnt been to physio, as I had progressed a lot further than she thought. So yes Im sure the foot does sort of do its own physio in a way!

Physio is also about guidance from what I can see but Im early into it, so for some it may not seem essential but it will sure help! I think most people on here have had some course of physio and personally I think you should kick up a fuss to your consultant! If you can afford some private sessions go that route…

7. 7 GerryR
    10:52 am - 1-11-2010

I think any doctor who says PT isn’t needed is a moron.

8. 8 Tosh
    3:29 am - 1-12-2010

Morning. My Dad was talking to somebody at his work who had ruptured his Achilles. This persons consultant told him to be carefully as it is more than probable that his other Achilles will go. Has anybody been told this as well or feeling pain in their other tendon?
    Thanks and I hope not

9. 9 Doug53
    8:37 am - 1-12-2010

Sorry, Tosh, but it’s true. Rupturing the other tendon is not uncommon.

Doug

10. 10 Gerryr
    9:16 am - 1-12-2010

I talked with my surgeon about this when I first met with him and he said he has never known anyone who ruptured both tendons. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen but he said it wasn’t something to be overly concerned about. Your chances of getting run down by a motorist are probably higher.

11. 11 heelpatch
    9:34 am - 1-12-2010

Some posters have ruptured their other tendon, but I suspect it is relatively rare because anyone who has been through this injury once acquires a keen awareness of how important it is to keep the surrounding calf muscles strong, to stretch the tendon at every opportunity and especially before playing sports, etc., and not to ignore or “play through” symptoms of tendonitis or tendonosis when you’re no longer a pup.

12. 12 Kevin
    10:28 am - 1-12-2010

And the ‘look on the brightside’ award goes to….

I don’t know what’s worse, fretting about re-rupturing my right AT, or freshly rupturing my left. I don’t think my injury was preventable (other than simply not ever playing squash) as it went without any warning and while I was doing something pretty basic in the game (just a straightforward return, not stretching, not twisting, not moving at full pace). So, unless I start getting warning signs in the other tendon it’s not something I can worry unduly about, I’ve decided.

13. 13 dancingdoug
    11:20 am - 1-12-2010

Tosh: Like any request for information you will get any number of answers. I can only answer for myself, and yes unfortunately my surgeon told me to be careful of my left achilles (tore my right last May) as he believes I may be prone to this type of injury. I actually tore a tendon in my thumb playing baseball back in my 20’s (20 years ago). So maybe I do have bad tendons. Anyhow, I will also say that I do experience pain at times in my “good” left tendon. So to answer your question yes and yes.

14. 14 Doug53
    1:35 pm - 1-12-2010

For a study on rupturing the other (contralateral, in medical lingo) tendon, see:
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14723785
    10 of 154 ruptured the other tendon within roughly four years of the first rupture, and presumably more will over more time. That is way (about 200 times) above the baseline risk for the average person.

Doug

15. 15 chana7
    2:07 pm - 1-12-2010

Hey guys, not sure where all this stuff about tearing the second one came from!! Remove this bad karma from my blog!!

On a serious note, Ive not been told anything about a rupture being more likely on the other foot. In fact, I think there is no point worrying yourself over it, just concentrate on your current rupture recovery! Just make sure you warm up extensively before any futurte exercise.

Like Kevin Im not sure how I could have prevented my injury, it just happened as I started a general stroll with the ball at my feet. I wouldnt underestimate the healing power of a more optimistic outlook on life…

16. 16 Philip
    4:25 pm - 1-12-2010

I am right-legged, and I ruptured my right achilles tendon. Do most people rupture the tendon on their preferred leg? If so, I have to wonder if rupturing the other tendon isn’t too likely since people typically don’t lead with that leg and apply as much force to that tendon.

17. 17 chana7
    6:08 pm - 1-12-2010

Well mine is my right foot, and playing football I am completely right footed! Not sure if theres any studies in that area…

18. 18 MaryK
    6:32 pm - 1-12-2010

My PT says she has known “tons” of ATR people, and never had one person who did both at different times (she has had one who ruptured both at once, poor thing!) But she did say when I am doing my exercises for my injured side, why not do the same routine with the other side while I’m at it? So I have been faithfully drawing circles, the alphabet, etc with both feet. Why not? Also it seems to help my bad side to do the motions completely and accurately when I move both feet in concert.

19. 19 MaryK
    6:37 pm - 1-12-2010

“Most Achilles tendon tears occur in the left leg in the substance of the tendoachilles, approximately 2-6 cm – the “watershed zone” – above the calcaneal insertion of the tendon. That the left Achilles tendon is torn more frequently may be related to handedness; right-handed individuals “push off” more frequently with the left foot.”

The above is from a research article I found on emedicine. So I guess my rupturing the right one was extra bad luck. I can’t wait to drive again. Lefties, be happy!

20. 20 2ndtimer
    7:05 pm - 1-12-2010

Doug you scare me with these statistics…. Also I heard something about being in the 0 blood type being perhaps a bad karma…

21. 21 MaryK
    8:10 pm - 1-12-2010

Hmm, well it could just be that O blood types make up more than 50% of the population, so it stands to reason there’d be more Os than anything else amongst us. I’m AB neg, myself.

22. 22 Tosh
    10:08 am - 2-9-2010

I have now had my cast off for a week and a half. Does anybdy know why my leg from the knee down swells up to twice the size of the other one when I put weight on it? Thanks