cayles’s AchillesBlog

Finally

February 20, 2015 · 6 Comments

Well, I permanently ditched my boot and started physio 1.5 weeks ago.  Found the transition very easy, probably because I had been practicing 2-slippers at home against doctor’s orders.  Now that I can finally move, mobility and stability are returning quite fast.  I have gone for some walks and stationary bike rides without issues, and hope to be back on a real bike within a week or two.  The tendon is awfully thick with scar tissue, and my lower leg is clearly still atrophied and swollen a bit, but the physio seems to think I’m in good shape overall.

Must say, I’m quite annoyed that my OS discouraged me from earlier physio, as she would have given me piles of exercises to do while booted.  I will be telling the doc this, though I doubt it will persuade him of anything.  If this ever happens again, god forbid, I’m going to get a physio consult early.

Anyway, hope the rest of you are making good progress too.  There’s light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s not necessarily a train.

Categories: Uncategorized

6 responses so far ↓

• laetitia // Feb 20th 2015 at 2:13 pm

congrats on your 2 shoes transition.

• donna // Feb 20th 2015 at 4:05 pm

Hey there, so glad you’re happy with your progress! YAY you!

You said: “The tendon is awfully thick with scar tissue”…are they going to treat that in PT?

It seems to me some get physio with scar tissue treatment and some don’t. Basic treatment is deep massage and ultrasound.

It’s really helped remodel my tendon since I began light self massage at around 6 weeks and the PT started deep tissue massage and ultrasound at around 10 weeks. I do it myself daily and PT does it 2x week. After the tendon is always less bumpy, thick, and my ROM and walk is easy and limp free at least for a few hours.

Keep us updated!

• skelonas // Feb 21st 2015 at 11:24 am

Congrats on two shoes, and keep up the hard work!

• squashedat // Feb 21st 2015 at 3:14 pm

Congrats, I have another week hopefully to get to that stage….though for most part at home I only put the boot on if I am going to be on my feet for a long time and in traffic.
    I too agree with you about the delayed start of PT and 2 shoes and the level of PT also feels like a lot less challenging and I feel I can do more.
    My PT explained to me that, the risk of re-rupture reduces dramatically after week 12 and hence they play it safe until then and even with PT they limit what they will do before week 12.
    In fact, it was interesting to run into a fellow PT patient yesterday doing the same things I was doing and he was at 1 week post op, ACL Repair and the PT was encouraging him to push it harder while asking me to take it easy.
    So there must be something about our injury that must have their respect :-)

• cayles // Feb 21st 2015 at 4:51 pm

Ah yes, respect for the ATR. One of the few comforts of this injury is the way people cringe when I describe it.

• Michelle // Aug 25th 2015 at 6:51 pm

Yes, always get more than one opinion! Even though OS says one thing, you should always talk to someone else. Either way, you’re well on the way to recovery - and I wish you the best of luck! Physio can be discouraging, but keep at it, and in the end you’ll be happy you did!