cayles’s AchillesBlog

Waiting for Physio

January 7, 2015 · 6 Comments

Saw my OS on Monday morning.  He seemed happy enough with my progress, but much to my chagrin, wants me to spend 4 more weeks (at least) in the boot, gradually discarding heel wedges and crutches, before ever seeing a physio.  Argh.  Looks like 2 shoes and physio will be beginning around the 10 week mark at the earliest.

I find myself hating my surgeon for being so conservative.  OK, all you positive-thinking Achilles gurus, talk me out of irrationally changing doctors.

Categories: Uncategorized

6 responses so far ↓

• donna // Jan 7th 2015 at 9:27 pm

Other than changing doctors another option would be to do simple sitting exercises at home on your own that will really help. I listed the one’s I got from my PT when I started at 6 weeks, they are posted in comments under my last post about milestones of recovery. They are listed on many protocols as early as 2 - 4 weeks, so other than going against your doctors orders, I don’t think they will hurt you as long as you do them as tolerated and gently. For simple exercises they were hard to do at first because I had done nothing up until then but wave my foot backwards and forwards. They really helped wake that foot up. After doing them twice daily for a week I could walk in two shoes. Just a suggestion, I trust you to know what is best for your recovery.

• herewegoagain // Jan 8th 2015 at 12:05 am

I agree with Donna that the exercises are really straightforward, changing your OS may not be necessary. Have you started basic ROM movements?
    Would you consider seeing a private PT rather than changing OS’s?
    I stayed in the boot to 10 weeks- it was part of the protocol and suited me as I was on a trip during the final week. The exercises I was doing 3 times a day prior to 2 shoes really helped the transition so it needs not feel like a waste of time!

• normofthenorth // Jan 8th 2015 at 2:37 pm

The good news is that we non-op ATR folks have a much easier time changing “surgeons” than we post-op ATR folks do. (Yes, I’m a member of BOTH groups!) Most surgeons don’t want to talk to a patient who got surgery from another doc, but nonop should be easier. And a strong-willed PT could take over, too, though many don’t want to.
    The bad news is that going much slower than the best protocols non-op clearly does increase rerupture risk, in addition to being a useless bloody nuisance. It may or may not have other I’ll effects. More atrophy sure seems logical…
    How does your Doc justify going slower than the 3 big studies with the best non-op results? Eminence-Based Medicine?

• cayles // Jan 8th 2015 at 4:34 pm

Thanks guys. I know another OS, will see if he is willing to opine on this. Failing that I will check with a physio, failing that I may go rogue and start rehabbing according to Donna’s protocols.

Norm, the original OS did not justify his call in detail. He said that until the boot is off, physios “can’t do much anyway”, and that we mustn’t rush anything and risk re-rupture.

• cayles // Jan 9th 2015 at 6:02 pm

Update: both my other OS and an independent physio have given me the same answer: no PT til you’re out of the aircast, and for me that will be around 10 weeks. Seems like the ATR status quo in Victoria is modern but a bit conservative: non-op, aircast right away, but slow transition out of it. This, according to my surgeon, being based on “a bunch of studies.” Interesting.

• donna // Jan 10th 2015 at 12:48 pm

Well good for you getting the information you wanted. Based on my personal experience with PT I don’t think waiting until 10 weeks is any big deal. My PT said other than sitting ROM exercises there is not much you can do to rehab the injury until the later weeks. As I’ve said I started at 6 weeks with just ROM stuff which was great, however, at week 8 - 9 I started standing stuff like lunges, balancing, etc…and it was too much too soon, I’ve been stiff and sore and now am off anything but the sitting ROM anyway until week 10.