Jun 06 2013

Hooray for the bus!

Published by cams at 3:13 pm under Getting around

There is nothing like freedom.  Today I took the bus to and from work.  No taxis, no car, just a clip of my card and I am there.  The bus drivers were considerate, and waited until I could get my bearings before the forward lurch of the bus.  People were nice enough to allow me to sit and make room for me (although I’ve made good progress and graduated from two to one crutch, I use it in public as an alert device to indicate to others to keep their distance).  Ok, I admit, my foot was swollen by the end of the day, but in the end, it was worth having the opportunity to go home on my own.

10 Responses to “Hooray for the bus!”

1. kellygirlon 07 Jun 2013 at 2:23 am

Amen to that! Your bus is my vacuum cleaner! Congrats on your milestone! That’s exciting news:) congrats!

2. camson 07 Jun 2013 at 5:55 am

I pushed a vacuum this morning too! Can’t stand crumbs on my kitchen floor, especially when they get all over my bare foot!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

3. debuffon 07 Jun 2013 at 2:59 pm

Boy do I want to vacuum. Funny how how when you sit on the couch in the same spot for 6 weeks you start to notice stuff on the floor you’d never notice when you were walking around.

4. micah1on 07 Jun 2013 at 4:24 pm

Your time will come Debuff, but remember, the first time you vacuum you have to do it dressed as Freddie Mercury singing ” I want to break free”. Club rules.
    Congratulations on your new found freedom Cams, it feels like it will never arrive, but when it does you are off into the sunset.

5. debuffon 07 Jun 2013 at 5:13 pm

Can’t wait !! For those who are beyond 6 weeks, how long does your foot stay hard and stiff? My incisions have finally sealed closed, so I’m massaging my foot and calf with coconut oil. But the sole of my foot still feels like wood. Any time I put partial weight on my boot for any extended time I get swollen lumps on the side and bottom of my foot. So I walk one day the spend the next day I spend the day with the cold therapy sleeve on my foot for the day.

6. micah1on 07 Jun 2013 at 5:41 pm

It was no more than about 2 weeks debuff, the sole of my foot was quite leathery and stiff, but it all softened up with weight bearing, especially once in shoes. Can’t comment on the swollen lumps though, i have only had swelling intermittently to the side of the achilles at the end of the day.

7. camson 09 Jun 2013 at 8:01 am

The massage sounds like a great idea, Debuff. If I could have changed some activity during the waiting period, I would have definitely incorporated more massage into my daily routine, as well as knee bends while on my back (I now have to deal with atrophy around my knee as well). I asked the PT about pain with walking barefoot, especially around the heel area, and he mentioned that there is also a bit of atrophy at the bottom of the foot, such as the tendon that runs lengthwise and also the fat pad in the heel. Without this cushion and flexibility, hard surfaces feel lumpy, and you don’t have the same pushoff with the ball of the foot. I was told this works itself out after a bit of time when the tendons in the foot start working again. I’ve been able to go around the house with flip flops, and take a few trials on a daily basis with bare feet. Certainly, it’s most comfortable to walk with cushioned shoes at the moment. Ah, these tendons.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

8. camson 09 Jun 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks! Should have done the Freddie Mercury dress! Just can’t wait to don a pair of wedges! That will be enough for me!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

9. camson 09 Jun 2013 at 8:04 am

I was ready to redecorate! Ended up ordering a set of blinds for the kitchen due to my being at home. ;)
    [WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

10. debuffon 09 Jun 2013 at 9:17 am

Yesterday I decided to start soaking my red, firey
    foot in Epson salt warm water. The redness is mostly gone, but have one staple spot that has a little pus. When I dried off my foot, dead skin was rolling off. So it doesn’t feel so hard and dry. Definitely will start massaging the sole and scars.