Jul 28 2015

” good leg” tendinitis

Published by buddy670 at 5:50 pm under Uncategorized

After the initial 2 weeks, I think the hardest part of this process for me has been the strain my good leg took. ¬†From crutches to the knee scooter it didn’t matter it just kept getting worse and worse. I finally had to give up my dreams of somewhat staying in shape and just completely rest, so from weeks 6-11, I just had to go to therapy and that was it , I wasn’t able to go to the gym or ¬†even swim. Over the past month my “good leg” specifically my AT and calf have received more therapy than my ATR leg, ie….. Ultrasound, stim, manual message and ice. The dr says now that I have transitioned to 2 shoes it will get better, I’m hoping he’s right and for some extra insurance I’m going to a sports message therapist this week, so we will see…….

has anyone else had this issue and did the transition to 2 shoes quickly cure it. I have been wearing even ups the whole time I started walking in the boot so being at different heights wasn’t really an issue. If you feel my calf it has knots going all the way up and down the outside portion

9 Responses to “” good leg” tendinitis”

1. donnaon 28 Jul 2015 at 6:26 pm

Yes, same kind of issue. I recommend finding a medical massage therapist as opposed to sports massage. I went 2x week for one hour each time for 16 weeks and it did wonders for my knotted up body. she also was qualified to massage my repaired tendon to keep scar tissue down and increase my ROM.

2. buddy670on 28 Jul 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Donna

3. Stuarton 28 Jul 2015 at 11:38 pm

Buddy - It is quite common for people here to complain about the other tendon being sore in the early stages. It is of course carrying most of the burden and has done pretty much everything the other tendon has done throughout your life. It usaully does improve when you start to balance up. Mine came back a few years later and I ended up having some radial shock wave therapy plus new orthotics. The shock wave therapy worked well and I am not bothered by it now. I couldn’t wear the orthotics for a while so that is how I know it was the therapy. It is a new type of treatment and not regularly available in my country as yet but since you are in the states you may have better luck finding someone although I would wait a fair bit longer to see if it settles on its own.

4. oscilloton 29 Jul 2015 at 5:57 am

I’ve definitely had tendonitis since crutching / scooting, but not as bad as yours. Hang in there, get to two shoes, and use your new knowledge to strengthen both sides once you feel ready.

5. michael67on 29 Jul 2015 at 9:45 am

I had “good” leg tendonitis begining around day 5 after surgery that came and went for several weeks. This caused serious concern because the other leg had ATR nearly 20 years ago and did not heal completely. I had been going barefoot so the first thing I tried was wearing a sneaker with a heel cup and I adjusted the height of my crutches. This provided relief for a while but the tendonitis returned. I tried different methods of planting the foot such as turning the foot out, shorter strides and taking more weight on the arms and planting softer. Everything helped a little but I recall that iceing helped the most. Finally after doing some research I determined that possibly it was being caused by the over pronation of the foot and I went to New Balance and bought their best shoe with good heel support and orthotics. I also re adjusted the height of my crutches again. I had mentioned this to my OS but he disagreed with me about the shoes and the pronation and advised for me to just land on my heel. I ignored him and bought the shoes anyway. I am around 17 weeks and this seems to have cured my tendonitis.

6. oscilloton 29 Jul 2015 at 11:46 pm

Just cause you’re couch-bound doesn’t mean you can’t keep your core and upper body in shape! Pushups, lying hip-thrusts, clam shells (hip abduction), seated yoga, ab workouts, dumbbells… Lots of options.

7. Sneakeron 08 Sep 2015 at 5:57 pm

Same here, about 4 weeks after surgery, my good tendon and knee started to ache.

As I transitioned to the boot, I started to wear high heel shoes even when home to balance the boot - this resolved the good AT issue but not the good knee pain.

I then started to wear my old knee brace (form back when I was nursing it 5 years ago) - this really helps!
    I wear it all day except night time and the knee pain is fading slowly but surely.

8. oscilloton 26 May 2016 at 3:46 am

One year after my last post here, and guess what, my good side Achilles is actually in worse shape than my repaired, ruptured side. I’m going to try and follow Stuart’s lead and pursue shock wave therapy to see if that helps.

9. Stuarton 26 May 2016 at 3:05 pm

Oscillot - my other advice was to get some custom orthotics. Hope the shock wave works for you as it did for me. No problems since. Be warned that it may hurt a bit. Not sure about your pain threshold but I was fine with it. The guy doing it said he has had some people jump off the table and stop treatment. Get both done too as it may also help with scar tissue.