The Broken Wheel

Day 53 — but why??
June 5, 2008, 1:33 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags:

Six-plus weeks after surgery, my doctor has me in a boot. Discovered achilles blog a couple of days ago and immediately noticed that my recovery seems to be taking longer than everyone else’s:

• Spent six weeks in a cast.
  • Ordered to wear a brace (boot) two to three more weeks.
  • Ordered to begin physical therapy no sooner than nine weeks after surgery.
I find this a little disconcerting. I’m not particularly heavy or out of shape. I weigh 175. I’m also a marathoner. Is my doctor being too conservative?

6 Comments so far

Hi RunRattyRun, your experience isn’t that much different than mine. I was in a cast for 6 weeks, and will be in a boot up until the ~10 week mark. I did, however, start PT at the 6 week mark.

You’ll hear it over and over on this site, but everyone’s doctor and recovery process is different. If you feel your doctor is being too conservative, or have any questions, don’t hesitate to discuss with your doctor. You are your own squeeky wheel, so you won’t get any grease unless you squeek.

Comment by craig 06.05.08 @ 2:49 pm

Craig, thanks for the input. I’ll give the doctor a call. Just curious, have you wondered about why your doctor is taking so much time for your recovery?

Comment by runrattyrun 06.05.08 @ 3:12 pm

I am week 5 and in a cast, FWB. At 6 weeks I get a boot, for 4-5 weeks. My doctor won’t even talk about when I am ready for PT- he said he want the rehab to wait until after the boot! However, he does consider the walking on the cast and boot to be therapeutic and helpful towards recovery.

From reading this blog and from other research, I think it just takes a really long time to recover from this injury. We are all so active, we want to be better quickly, but there is nothing quick about an ATR. I think each doctor just has their own favorite protocol as to how to treat. But I think we will all end up at pretty much the same place at pretty much the same elapsed time.

Comment by tennisjunkie 06.05.08 @ 3:39 pm

Runrat - Your protocol sounds very similar to mine. I would not consider it to be overly conservative. There are definitely people who spend less time in cast and/or the boot, but others can be immobilized for 12 weeks or more. IMO, the length of time for weight bearing is more telling whether a protocol is aggressive or conservative. Believe me though, it’s not worth worrying too much about a week or two here and there. The most important thing is that we will all be in the same place a year down the road. We all just take slightly different paths.

Comment by Tom 06.05.08 @ 7:34 pm

I haven’t been worried about the timing. In fact, it is the same one that I saw which was outlined for Elton Brand (and he was back playing in the NBA in less than one year!)

I do think it is important that you buy into your doctor. If you aren’t comfortable then squeak away!

Comment by craig 06.05.08 @ 9:41 pm

Runrat–
I was 10 weeks in a cast, 4 weeks in the boot and my original doc wanted me to stay in the boot for 3 more months without any therapy…wouldn’t give me an adequate reason why so I switched docs..they say each doc has different ideas–just trust your body and instincts on what to do…goood luck Kevin

Comment by kev34 06.06.08 @ 12:28 pm