brokendad’s AchillesBlog

Just over a year out of surgery

Hi everyone,
I haven’t posted in months, but I wanted to let those of you who are early in your recovery know it gets better. I can do all the activities ( running, sports, martial arts, etc. ) I did before my achilles injury. There is no pain or discomfort due to [...]

Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted in months, but I wanted to let those of you who are early in your recovery know it gets better. I can do all the activities ( running, sports, martial arts, etc. ) I did before my achilles injury. There is no pain or discomfort due to the injury, just due to being 46.

I don’t have all my calf strength back to 100% and the doc actually said a person my age is unlikely to ever get the muscle back to 100%. Such is life.

Try to remember that your condition is temporary. You may not be able to walk, drive, climb a ladder, or dance now, but you will.

Take care and heal well,

Brokendad

8 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

At 69, I can barely REMEMBER the pain and discomfort of being 46! :-)
Though actually, I went through some yearlong periods of injuries back around then, that haven’t bothered me nearly as much since! Like repeated, chronic sprained ankles (both sides)! And my worst backaches EVER!

1 normofthenorth June 25, 2014 11:59 am

Hi BrokeDad - I’m just a few weeks ahead of you in my recovery - and pretty much at the same progression today. There is still a noticeable size difference between calf muscles, but the injured side is slowly getting back to “normal”. I do get some slight cramping in the calf muscle when cycling, but nothing severe. I keep doing the toe raises every day in the pool, and it is getting easier to do them on dry land.
The real test will be in a few weeks when I head out to do the Bike Ride Across Iowa - a whole week with a bicycle stuck to my butt! We’ll see how them legs look after that!
To all of the other members in this club - it will take time, but it does get better! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other every day.
Jack

2 Jack Liike June 27, 2014 1:45 am

Hi, I’m 46(just)and only 4 weeks since ATR. Going down the non op route so it’s great to read of those much further ahead. Sometimes it can feel a long way off but good to know it can get back to normal eventually. Glad you posted.
Wishing you all best (love the page layout by the way).

3 nosport45 June 30, 2014 4:11 am

Hello BrokenDad,

good on you for blogging on again after a year. It’s appreciated. (Now we just need to get more of us giving updates between 12 and 24 months).

How does the calf look by the way? Is the medial gastrocnemius head (the inner half) looking and measuring the same as the other? Does the whole gastrocnemius look a bit shorter, ie. a shorter calf overall)?

I ask since I am seven months post-rupture. Everything is constantly improving in performance and strength, the calf looks like a calf again, just not quite like the other as yet in full form. It refuses to get larger just as quickly at the bottom section. Up top however: just as thick as it was before the injury.

4 filosofo July 16, 2014 3:25 pm

@jim belletete, what’s the stiffness like, exactly? Any swelling? Lack of ROM and ankle movement = lack of flexibility? Even a little swelling will restrict ROM and flexibility, so if it’s still around, control it with RICE.

Or is the stiffness mostly in your (calf) muscles after you work it hard?

5 normofthenorth July 21, 2014 1:23 am

Hi All,

Sorry I dont check the site more.

Filosfo- The calf is smaller all around. I just need to work harder.

- I started playing soccer again- Dont tell my doc…

6 brokendad August 29, 2014 2:04 pm

There is still a noticeable size difference between calf muscles, but the injured side is slowly getting back to “normal”. Glad you posted. Wishing you all best (love the page layout by the way).

7 soundcloud downloader July 13, 2018 12:08 am