brokendad’s AchillesBlog

Transitioning out of my boot

I am 5.5 weeks post-op and just saw my doc today.  He told me I may walk without the boot  as I feel  comfortable doing.    I was in the boot for twenty days.  Next week I start PT.  Any advice on the transition?
Hope everyone is well.

Hope everyone is well.

21 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

Hi, great news brokendad. I went into shoes at nearly 7 weeks, the hospital said I could leave the boot there if I liked - so thats what I did! I used crutches for quite a few weeks, more than some seem to, but many people seem to be in a boot for longer first, it all seems to even out in the end. The crutches give the general public the idea that you need longer to cross the road and have doors held open for you. Once you ditch them they start trying to run you over on crossings! Tread carefully.

1 micah1 July 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks - I kept my boot for an upcoming Red Sox game.

2 brokendad July 08, 2013 4:15 pm

I am slowly easing out of the boot and dying to ditch it!! I have been working on standing and taking short steps with as little limp as possible. I’ll bet PT will give you some good things to do before you starting strolling around a lot! AND - I agree you will want the boot or crutches when in public - way more sympathy and patience from others. OOOHHH that’s why you are sooo slow!

Have fun at the Red Sox - where are you seeing them My husband is a die hard Sox fan!

3 lodinpdx July 08, 2013 6:00 pm

That is awesome news. I’m a little envious. Thursday will be 4 weeks since my injury and two shoes are not in my near future. I really hope I am wrong. I can’t see past the cast right now.

Keep us posted on your progress. Congrats! xx

4 superjewgrl July 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Micah1 - I read your post about taking a shower and holding on for dear life and i laughed out loud. Very very funny.

Lodin - Love the sympathy comment. That is a hoot. I’m afraid to go out in public but when I do, I will be armed.

5 superjewgrl July 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi Lodine- We are going to Fenway. We normally go to minor league games, but I promised the family we will do Fenway this year. I will tell you if the boot works. I am looking froward to PT to fix my limp. I have a video of me walking, but am not sure how to post .

SJG- thanks for the note. Did your Doc tell you when he expects you to FWB ?

6 brokendad July 08, 2013 6:56 pm

I too went to 2-shoes at 5.5 weeks. Here are my thoughts on that transition:

achillesblog.com/ryanb/2011/10/03/danger-zone/

7 ryanb July 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Broken - I have no clue. I was happy that he reconsidered the cast for 6 weeks, and now will hopefully get a boot at 3 weeks. If I wear a high heel on my good foot I can walk in my cast because it put little weight on the bed foot. :)

Ryan - Nice blog. I love love love speedskating. Congrats on your accomplishments. So you injured your right foot and were driving at 6 weeks?

Great work men!

8 superjewgrl July 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks SJG. Yep, full AT rupture on the right side. Was actually driving (using my left foot) at 10 days. Started using my right foot to drive again at 5.5 weeks, concurrent with my transition to two shoes. I probably did some occasional left foot braking (habit, mostly) for a few weeks after that.

9 ryanb July 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Broken (and others) - So today I have ventured out more than any other day. I can walk/hobble around bootless in the house but I did not want to try to head out without it just yet. WELL - I got soooo much attention and everyone was so nice to me. People held the door for me, got things for me, asked what happened and how I was doing. I was out and about with my driver/cart pusher/eye-rolling-15-year-old son! As much as I want to get out of this boot I will be “using” this thing for a while to come! :)

Have fun at the game - now my husband will WAY more jealous! He would love to go to Fenway but going to Seattle instead. Definitely wear the boot and be sure to moan and groan just a little, who knows you might get a free beer!

10 lodinpdx July 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Ryan- nice post on the danger zone. Thanks for the info.

11 brokendad July 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Lodine - I am glad to hear you had a good experience out and about. The little acts of kindness other do for us really boost moral. Embrace the boot!

12 brokendad July 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I think 2 shoes is overrated! Several protocols recommend returning to crutches when moving from a boot (FWB) to shoes. I really hated the idea of taking that step backwards, after I’d gotten used to walking crutch-less with stuff in both hands. So I never returned to crutches. My 2-shoe walking was initially slow and lop-sided — short stride when stepping past “that” foot — but no crutches or canes in 2 shoes. I often wore the boot for protection in scary places for a few weeks, and occasionally carried a cane as a flag or a weapon.

My second-ATR rehab was following bit.ly/UWOProtocol in an AirCast (fixed) boot, but about a week before “wean off boot” (which comes 8 weeks in), I switched into my old Donjoy hinged boot from ATR #1 (8 yrs earlier! Can you say “pack rat”?) and let it hinge from neutral down (PF) to forever for that last week, and whenever I used it in scary places. A hinged boot is much more shoe-like for the transition, but still visible and protective. Fast, too!

13 normofthenorth July 09, 2013 12:25 am

Here’s my other entry on going to “two shoes”.

achillesblog.com/ryanb/2011/10/11/2-shoes-or-not-2-shoes/

Figured it might help you know what to possibly expect.

14 ryanb July 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Norm- get advice and insight. Thank you.

15 brokendad July 09, 2013 9:22 pm

It is so awkward going from BIG ASS BOOT to two tiny little shoes (well mine are all that tiny) It seems so odd to me that my two options are knee high immobilizing BOOT in which I can now walk fairly quickly, not really gracefully but sort of smooth or naked little ankles and teeny tiny little steps. My boot does not hinge so I can definitely see why that would be an important step in the right direction. BUT - I am making progress and we know that after yesterday’s experience I will shamelessly wear that boot while about and about need it or not!

BTW - Ryan I forgot to mention I read through a few parts of your entire blog. You are rather bad ass huh?! :) As for easing into shoes - I am finally at a point where I can “exercise” on the bike. By that I mean I can ride up to an hour with OK resistance and pretty good cadence but IN the boot. In shoes I have to have no resistance and can barely muster up enough cadence to make it around. I am afraid it’s going to be a while before I can really SPIN on a bike.

16 lodinpdx July 09, 2013 10:00 pm

It is so awkward going from BIG ASS BOOT to two tiny little shoes (well mine are all that tiny) It seems so odd to me that my two options are knee high immobilizing BOOT in which I can now walk fairly quickly, not really gracefully but sort of smooth or naked little ankles and teeny tiny little steps. My boot does not hinge so I can definitely see why that would be an important step in the right direction. BUT - I am making progress and we know that after yesterday’s experience I will shamelessly wear that boot while out and about need it or not!

17 lodinpdx July 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Oops tried to edit - posted twice. My bad!

18 lodinpdx July 09, 2013 10:02 pm

:-)

19 ryanb July 10, 2013 2:08 pm

I am slowly easing out of the boot and dying to ditch it!! I have been working on standing and taking short steps with as little limp as possible. Keep us posted on your progress. Congrats! xx

20 run 3 July 12, 2018 2:50 am

I don’t know what to say really what you share is so good and helpful to the community, I feel that it makes our community much more developed, thanks.

21 atari breakout February 12, 2020 9:33 pm