brokendad’s AchillesBlog

Achilles is worst than an ACL

I will be two weeks out of surgery tomorrow for a ruptured achilles.  I previously had both my ACLs done ( three years apart) and thought the rehab would be similar.   Guess I should have read more.  With the ACLs you walk ASAP, so I was surprised how long I am going to be [...]

I will be two weeks out of surgery tomorrow for a ruptured achilles.  I previously had both my ACLs done ( three years apart) and thought the rehab would be similar.   Guess I should have read more.  With the ACLs you walk ASAP, so I was surprised how long I am going to be on crutches.   My question is ,  how long did everyone use crutches once the cast was removed?    Thanks!

14 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

I was put into a boot and could start PWB Around the 6 week mark. FWB was followed within 4-5 days. I stopped using crutches a couple days after FWB (when I felt comfortable).

1 Kingb June 11, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for the info! Can’t wait till I am at that point.

2 brokendad June 11, 2013 8:34 am

I am PWB now after 3 weeks post surgery, I use the crutches as I walk with them. So, if really depends on how quickly you recover. I wore a hard cast for two weeks and they just removed my hard cast and gave me the boot this past Friday.

3 Soldier J June 11, 2013 9:02 am

im 4 weeks post op and Im PWB on crutches…….

4 sfce June 11, 2013 10:14 am

Didn’t walk for six weeks after the surgery because I had to be NWB. Starting walking comfortably without crutches at around eight weeks post op. This injury sucks! But we all come back stronger eventually and that is all that matters.

5 eyechilles June 11, 2013 11:38 am

I got my cast off Friday and put into a boot. I was told to ditch the crutches as soon as possible. The only problem I am having is that I developed a sore on the bottom of my heel that is slowly going away. The sore hurts as the day wears on so I use the crutches in the afternoon and then when I get home I ditch the boot and let my foot air out and crutch around the house.

I assume things will change once PT starts next week.

6 michaelz June 11, 2013 11:42 am

I was 3 weeks NWB in a cast, then 4 weeks weight bearing as tolerated so eventually with out crutches around the house and FWB, then just shoes at 7 weeks FWB but have only just ditched the last crutch this week at 12 weeks. You’re right, everyone is different.

7 micah1 June 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks to everyone. It seems I’ll need to wait until the 17 th when the doc puts me in a boot and tells me how I am healing.

8 brokendad June 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi broken whats acl

9 Ripraproar June 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Ripraproar: ACL is a ligament in the knee that requires surgery if torn. ‘Anterior Cruciate Ligament’ I believe.

10 Hattrick30 June 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Hatrick, thanks for that

11 Ripraproar June 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Yes- the ACL is a knee ligament. Sorry for the confusion.

12 brokendad June 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I have torn my acl 3 times ( 2004, 2008, and 2010). I tore my Achilles and had surgery 6 weeks ago. I was full weight bearing at the 4 week mark. I think it will vary person to person. For example- I am a 26 year old male in pretty good physical shape.

13 RP June 16, 2013 11:51 pm

A very interesting topic that I have considered, I think this is one of the most important information for me. And I’m glad to read your article. Thanks for sharing!

14 powerline io February 12, 2020 9:55 pm