409

Brokenbride’s AchillesBlog

Some Slow Running

I’ve returned back to my pre-injury weekly fitness routine (obviously at lower intensity) - a couple of sessions with a personal trainer, mixed in with some spin classes. But I think I need to focus a bit more on “rehab”. I thought by doing full body workouts the calf muscle and strength would come back.
My [...]

My PT thinks I should be doing single leg raises by now and I haven’t gotten to that point. So this past week I made a point of visiting a gym with leg press equipment in attempt to isolate the calf a bit more. I can do several reps of 75lbs - pushing with my foot/calf extensions and flexions on my injured side. I have no idea if this is good but now I have a starting point to work from.

I’ve been running slowly on the treadmill for the past several weeks. Today I was hoping to run a total of 5kms in intervals. The plan was to run a couple kms, watch a period of hockey and return to the treadmill during intermissions. I ran the first 2.5km but stiffened up during the first period of hockey. Bad plan. I wish I would have done 3kms because I was feeling good. I’ll try 3kms on Wednesday.

I still have a slight limp. It seems to be more noticeable after I attend a Flames game at the Saddledome. We park several blocks from the Dome, it’s icy, it’s late and I’ve been sitting for several hours. And the cold weather doesn’t help with keeping things limber. I’ll be happy when the limp is gone.

We finally booked a honeymoon in Greece. A few of the hotels we booked are at the top of town and they warned us of stairs. I have a few weeks to get ready for that challenge. The warm weather will be a nice treat.

7 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

I like RyanB’s approach, with lots of reps at reasonable resistance. Pushing hard only to test. I think he suggests when the right time is for high resistance and fewer reps. There’s also a big diff betw ankle extensions with straight knee (gastroc) and bent knee (soleus). Often one recovers faster than the other.

1 normofthenorth February 19, 2013 12:35 am

Without that ATR Timeline widget, I wish you’d mention your post-non-op “week count” on every page, because it matters. (You have included it on ALMOST all…)

2 normofthenorth February 19, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Norm, I do have the ATR widget. You may have to refresh your cache perhaps.

Cut and paste my URL and I know for sure it will show up.

BTW, I’m 20 weeks. Cheers, Keli

3 brokenbride February 19, 2013 10:30 am

I’ve also noticed the widget disappears once I’ve entered the comments section. Click the green header “BROKENBRIDE ACHILLES BLOG” at the top and the widget will appear again.

4 brokenbride February 19, 2013 10:33 am

Good for you BB, my doc said no running until April 1st. I know that I’m physical close to starting, but still have so much of a strength defict that I have to much discomfort. Maybe he’ll adjust my PT tomorrow after my next appointment.

5 kkirk February 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Wild, BB! It does reappear when I click the header, but the “continue reading” text and comments disappear. Then when I make them reappear, the Widget disappears again! Yikes! (You really like this particular theme, right?)

6 normofthenorth February 20, 2013 10:16 pm

After some injuries and recovered it, You should to perform a good running and win the competition. For all athletic, It’s wonderful news because they aware from such incident and now bestessay com services help me to find out quality work.

7 Cynthia L. Gilfillan August 26, 2019 12:53 am