361

Brokenbride’s AchillesBlog

15 weeks. Feeling normal, out of shape, but normal.

I’m feeling very “normal” these days. I guess normal being, I no longer feel injured. I have a slight limp and my calf muscles are still somewhat weak. I’m able to to walk down stairs but the single leg calf raise hasn’t happened yet. The swelling is gone and I haven’t iced my ankle in [...]

I’m feeling very “normal” these days. I guess normal being, I no longer feel injured. I have a slight limp and my calf muscles are still somewhat weak. I’m able to to walk down stairs but the single leg calf raise hasn’t happened yet. The swelling is gone and I haven’t iced my ankle in over 3 weeks. And I no longer think about every step I take.

I’m back into a gym routine and definitely notice my lack of cardio exercise these past few months. Last week I was able to do a breathless 45 minute spin class. With my trainer I did some breathless rowing, breathless squats, breathless lunges, breathless push ups and some breathless core work. Again the good news being - no swelling or discomfort afterwards.

Physio is going well and my knee flex is only about 2cm away from my good leg. My PT is happy with how the tendon is healing and says there’s very little scar tissue. He seems to think with time there won’t be a visible difference between the two ankles. He suggested I walk backwards on a treadmill to strengthen the muscles associated with calf raises. Don’t think I’ll hit his January 15th deadline (I purposely didn’t book a session next week to buy myself some time).

Last night I declared to my friends that I was no longer injured. They don’t have to pamper me or ask how I’m doing anymore. I realize that there’s still lots of rehab but I really do feel normal again.

9 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

Congrats on your progress and its great to hear from you. I finally move on to 2-shoes also and began my endurance stuff in PT today, which basically means more cardio. Be sure to keep us post and don’t stay a stranger.

1 kkirk January 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Please explain what you mean by breathless? Aren’t you suppose to breath spinning, rowing, lunging etc. never has head this breathless form of excercise.

2 doryt January 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Just a joke about being out of shape.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

3 brokenbride January 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I had same question as doryt. I see the humor now, but with so many different types of exercise classes out there I thought this was a new spin on a spin class.

4 darryn January 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Ahhh OK. Laughing at myself now.

5 doryt January 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I have a question I’m not sure where to post. Surgery scheduled for February on my right foot and I’m just realizing I won’t be able to drive for quite a while! Has anyone looked into installing hand controls in your car? Scared to be totally unable to drive!

6 spizzas January 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Sounds good, BB. Walking backwards does load up the AT-and-calf — I know, because I tried it in a hinged boot around 7-ish weeks post-non-op, and I thought I was going to DIE! That was WAY too soon.

Spizzas, people try all kinds of things to get behind the wheel sooner. Hand controls tend to be very pricey, though, so most eager-beaver drivers learn to drive an automatic car with their left foot.

7 normofthenorth January 13, 2013 3:03 am

Spizzas, I agree with Norm - thinking hand controls would be very expensive. Might be cheaper to just pay for some taxis. Why so long before your surgery?

8 brokenbride January 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks kkirk. Nice to hear you’re in two shoes - you’ll progress quickly with every week. Take care.

9 brokenbride January 14, 2013 11:34 pm