336

Brokenbride’s AchillesBlog

Next Boot, a Ski Boot? Eight Weeks Non-op.

I had my eight week non-operative check up yesterday and left crying. Yes, I’m being dramatic for effect. I was so happy with my appointment, I had a little cry while I waited for my ride. Funny, I didn’t shed a tear at the hospital when the rupture happened.
Everything looks really good and Dr Duffy [...]

Everything looks really good and Dr Duffy said if I feel up to it, I could get out skiing soon. The good news gave me a huge boost of confidence - I wore TWO SHOES to work today and I DROVE my Mini for the first time in 8 weeks. I’ll still wear my boot if there’s lots of snow outside or when I’m in big crowds. I really thought I was sentenced to the boot for the entire “danger time” of 16 weeks.

This was shaping up to be the longest winter of my life. No skiing AND and an NHL lockout. I’m a loyal Calgary Flames season ticket holder and I miss the hockey action dearly. That’s right greedy owners and players, you’re making this ATR victim and loyal fan suffer more!! I’m getting so restless I’m considering taking an Art History class at the University.

A large group of us have a New Year’s ski trip planned and I’m hoping to be strong enough to get some runs in. Even some groomers would be delightful. I recall Ryan B saying he skied around the ten week mark (going from memory) and I thought to myself “is he nuts?”. Funny how quickly we get better and these goals don’t seem so unrealistic.

And before you all comment - Yes, I’m very aware of the re-rupture risk. Yes, I’ll be careful, Yes, I’ll use common sense. Thanks in advance for your concerns.

And now I just need the NHL and NHLPA to get their act together and resolve this lockout. It’s not winter without a disappointing Flames season.

9 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

That’s awesome BB. If your doctor tells you that it’s safe and you know how to protect it, I say go for it. I hope to get out on the trails for some winter hiking as soon as I can. Although, I noticed today how much my calf atrophied over 6 weeks. It looks flabby and awful. Anyway, Congrats on healing so well, so far.

1 kkirk November 27, 2012 7:03 pm

You recall correctly BB- checking my log, I first ski’d on day 72: 10 weeks. I think I could have ski’d a little bit earlier- but it was early November, our resorts hadn’t opened up yet, and so I didn’t have the benefit of lifts (I had to skin up the mountain using my backcountry gear).

At the beginning of the season, I certainly had to be a little cautious, and my endurance was lacking - a half day of skiing was about all I could handle at the start. However, I ended up having a full season on the slopes. I am confident, you’ll be able to do the same.

FWIW, I grew up in Calgary. My first day ever on ski’s was at Mt. Norquay; and I pretty much learned to ski at Sunshine and Lake Louise :-) Lot’s of good memories in that area-

2 ryanb November 28, 2012 9:55 am

Now that I think about it… the picture in my first blog post:
achillesblog.com/ryanb/2011/09/24/hello-world/
was also taken in Calgary, at Oval. It’s a little blurry, but I think that banner in the background is a Calgary Sun banner. That was my last trip up there; during which I also attended a Flames game at the Saddledome ;-)

3 ryanb November 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Ryan may or may not be nuts ;-) — but I skied a week in Whistler at 17 weeks, and I did NOT take it easy. In fact, I took one of my personal-record “yard sale” tumbles down Whistler Bowl!

My ankle was nervous walking around the Village and the condo in a shoe, but never on the slopes.

4 normofthenorth November 29, 2012 2:41 am

So it’s agreed that Ryan is nuts : )

Funny you should mention being nervous in the village. That’s exactly my thoughts - falling in the Bierstube during the apres ski seems scariest/most likely.

5 brokenbride November 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Kkirk, I think you’ll be surprised how quickly your calf muscle comes back. I know mine is still very week but the “flabby” look is going away quickly. I’m guessing now that the tendon has reattached, the calf muscle has gotten a “little lift”. The liner in my boot has gotten tighter just in the past six days.

Once you get into two shoes, you’ll notice progress every single day. During my ‘cast n crutch’ days I dreaded getting out of bed. I now look forward to my first steps every morning - it feels so much better every day. K

6 brokenbride November 30, 2012 2:00 am

There seems to be a consensus building here -

7 ryanb November 30, 2012 11:24 am

Ryanb - That’s not a bad thing at all :)

BB - Thanks, it gives me hope and I know it WILL come back, just very impatient. I feel like I’ve waited long enough. I have a another evaluation with my surgeon in 10 days, so hopefully will start moving along (at a slightly faster rate).

8 kkirk November 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Actually I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, the web site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent. Thank you for sharing with us. I think it would be effective for all. Good job, cheers!

9 ski boots January 20, 2014 8:36 am