287

Brokenbride’s AchillesBlog

In Memoriam - Scoots

This weekend I asked Paul to return my knee scooter to the medical rental shop. She hasn’t been used much since our wedding four weeks ago. In fact, after the wedding Scoots just became an expensive coffee cup caddy between the kitchen and my home office.  For the most part I tried to use my [...]

scootsmemoriam8

This weekend I asked Paul to return my knee scooter to the medical rental shop. She hasn’t been used much since our wedding four weeks ago. In fact, after the wedding Scoots just became an expensive coffee cup caddy between the kitchen and my home office.  For the most part I tried to use my crutches as much as possible and not rely on the scooter. Determined to stay strong, being on crutches became my daily workout.

I’m weirdly sad that Scoots is going away and I’m trying to figure out why. Maybe because she saved me on my wedding day - there’s no way I would have survived the entire 20 hour day on crutches. I was able to cover a lot of ground with Scoots and even cruised around the dance floor a bit. My bouquet in the basket and a glass of Jameson in the cup holder worked brilliantly. In fact, I think every bride should have a wedding scooter - no more sore feet from the Manolo Blahniks. She’ll be able to visit every Aunt and Uncle with a breeze.

So today I say goodbye to Scoots. Thanks for your help during a rough time, but I hope to never see you again. I’ll leave the cup holder on for your next friend in need of a lift and a stiff drink.

scootssmall

8 Responses

You can follow the comments for this article with the RSS 2.0 feed.

Love it! And very happy for you. I hope to get rid of mine in the next few weeks.

1 kkirk November 26, 2012 11:05 am

That’s awesome news Kevin. Sounds like you’re on the right side of the recovery process. You’ll be hiking before you know it.

2 brokenbride November 26, 2012 11:18 am

Well, you still made a beautiful bride! As I was scooting around the house on Thanksgiving I was thinking I’ll miss the speed of zipping around. But I haven’t named mine yet so I don’t think I’m too attached. Yet,

3 Lisa November 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks BB, hopefully sooner rather than later! :)

4 kkirk November 26, 2012 3:53 pm

I am gazing over to my knee-walker, which I now feel bad for given that I did not name it something cool and thoughtful like scoots. I truly hate my crutches ( so a polite name is out of the question for those), but they are part of my daily workout- up 25 concrete, unforgiving steps, to the mailbox. Coming back down is a real treat. This “trip” is not for the faint of heart, or the unbalanced. This way I get my mail, those very personal surgery bills, and I can visit my fantastic manual Jeep waiting like a loyal hound “up there” for my return. Haven’t had the heart to tell the Jeep that she will see Santa’s return before mine.

I am 9 days from my boot, which waits quietly on my bookshelf for its moment in the sun, or in my case, something less dramatic than sunshine, but way more functional than this cast. My kingdom for a COMPLETE shower.

All of this free time in waiting gives me time to plan for my next three minute speed-chat with my incredibly talented and busy surgeon. He actually is a long-term friend, so for those of you that have a similar speed-chat experience, don’t fret - you are not to blame for the brevity of your own doctor-patient relationship. There is no billing code for “nice chat with patient”. I will say that my friendship seems to reduce office waiting time to a bare minimum- and for that I am thankful.

Oh, and by the way, I do some nice, controlled turns while coasting with my walker in the kitchen. I know this goes against the label warning on my walker, but it fulfilIs my need for speed, windin my hair, etc…..I assume full responsibility for my reckless behavior….the edges of my granite countertops keep me largely in check.

Heal quickly, with your leg above your heart!

5 oldandwayslow November 27, 2012 9:19 am

Like others I have not named my scooter, although I have called it a few names when I knocked my good foot against it. I am just starting PWB so it’s days are numbered, although I think I will need the cup caddy for a wee bit longer.

6 darryn November 27, 2012 9:49 am

BB: I didn’t even notice the scooter in the picture until you mentioned it. You look so happy!! I am about to get a knee scooter in the next few days. I should have gotten it ages ago — it sounds like fun, especially the cup caddie. But probably more fun when you don’t need it anymore. I will have to come up with a name — Zippy? Zoom? I bet the teenagers in the house will get more use out of it than me! Best of luck!

7 lizzie November 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks everyone.

OldAndWaySlow, well said. Why aren’t you blogging?

8 brokenbride November 29, 2012 11:50 pm