A week and a day…

..post surgery, and for the first time actually feeling down about this whole experience.  For the most part Ive stayed pretty positive - absence of any nominal pain post surgery, seasons 1 & 2 of ‘the wire’ keeping me entertained, and even the maddening stir-crazyness lying around with foot elevated somehow made me feel OK in that soon i would be up and doing things…

Well now Im more mobile [comparably - but in reality, not at all], but the questions are starting to creep in - how long will I need to deal with these crutches?  How long before i can carry a simple cup from kitchen to couch?  How long before I can actually make dinner solo?  I’ve had gret care from family and friends, but I live alone and am fiercely independent…Its been sort of a treat to be waited on - but Im done with that - want my independence back!

First follow up is Thursday - so hopefully boot starts then - but reading all these posts, Ive come to the realization that the crutches are still my legs for awhile.

Anyway, didnt want first post to be so whiny, but there it is…Its where Im at today.  Hopefully I can add some inspiration and levity to others down the line, but for now, guess Im looking for some of that myself.

9 Comments »

1. BK Said,

October 14, 2011 @ 2:19 am

Hey Brian, we had our surgery almost around the same time. I had my surgery done on 10/07/11. BTW, my name is Brian as well :) I totally understand how you feel. The first couple of days were definitely the toughest. I went from being completely active, to pretty much being unable to get myself a glass of water from the kitchen to my living room. I have the same questions as you, in terms of how long the recovery will last. My first post op is set for this coming Monday. Hopefully we can help each other stay positive, what with our surgeries being so close to each other.

Good luck man!

2. Kelly Said,

October 14, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

I had my achilles surgery on September 22 one week later I had a follow up appt and had the plaster cast taken of and a fiberglass one put on. Much lighter and not as bulky. I was told maybe in two weeks I could get a boot but still non weight bearing.Today was my three week appt and I had the knot of my disolvable stiches removed and yrt another cast on. At least six weeks non weight bearing. It is really getting old and my family is really getting tired of waiting on me. They won’t say it, but I can tell. I started cooking again last week just using my foot for balance. I do have a knee caddy for use at work and shopping it has been a god sent. But at home I can’t use it at all because of the levels in my house. This is getting really old!!! I did almost flip my knee caddy at work yesterday and slammed my foot on the floor. Felt a major pop in my heel and the dr thinks I might have torn the achilles where he re anchored it to my heel. We won’t know till I have another MRI or Ultrasound in three weeks. I pray I didn’t do anything major and have to start the process all over again. My family will kill me. Not literally.

3. ryanb Said,

October 15, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Folks keep asking me “how long”… I keep replying “until what”?

Recovery is a long gradual process, with lots of little milestones along the way. Thankfully, once you get to FWB (in a boot), you’ll find you’re able to do almost everything for yourself; just a bit slower than usual. But at that point, you really are much more independent. Different doctors, patients, and protocols will hit that mark at different times, but regardless, it’s happens pretty early in the grand scheme of things.

Most of the recovery happens after FWB… I suppose that’s either bad or good news, depending on your perspective-

4. bcurr Said,

October 15, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Wait until you walk normally in 2 shoes and everyone says “nice to see you’re all better” and you have to repeat again and again the long term recovery side.

5. ericadetr0 Said,

October 15, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I love what you wrote. It is nice that people ask and are concerned, but to tell the story again! I keep hearing things like 2 shoes, and more. I am excited to get there and nervous at the same time. My first PT starts next week. All I can do is be thankul for this amazing Blog. This has really helped me!

6. Izzi Said,

October 26, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Hi everyone. Just popped my achilles 5 days ago. Will have a ultrasound in 5 days time but won’t have a op because I’m a type 2 diabetic so would be at risk of infections.
    At the moment I do have supportive family and friends but I hate been waited on. Was told by my doctor that this could take 3 months to recover from which is strange because I normally have little niggles but recover quickly and I just want to get up and about.
    I am curious if there is any long term effects to this.

7. np13 Said,

October 26, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

i guess it all depends on your definition of “being recovered.” i am very new to all of this: my ATR was 4 weeks ago, and there are MANY people on this site w/WAY more knowledge re. this than me, but i would say that 3 months non-op sounds about right to walking, if not somewhat optimistic. this injury and rehab is SUCH a long process.

8. ryanb Said,

October 26, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I think np13 is right. You’ll most likely be walking - maybe without much of a limp - at 3 months. But, don’t make the mistake of thinking that’s “recovered”. Most of us would define recovered as being able to participate in all the activities (sports) that we were doing pre-injury. I’ll go a step further, and define recovered as doing the same sports… at the same performance level. 9 months is probably a better ballpark estimate than 3.

9. Jeff Thompson Said,

October 30, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Howdy… I am 2 days post surgery today. I agree with all my fellow sufferers that this sucks. I’m in a soft cast. I go to follow up in 8 days. I don’t know what to expect in the way of therapy. I really want to get off the crutches. My underarms are killing me. I get an occasional spasm and sharp pain over the incision site, but otherwise I am pain free as I lay on the couch. Take care everyone!!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI