Hello all Achilles survivors!
After my 6 week post op appointment I’m happy to report that all is well and I’m healing ahead of schedule (well at least my doctor’s schedule). It was difficult to not break a smile when he started explaining to me how to put weight on the foot. I just wanted to stand up and walk around the office, but didn’t out of respect.
I experienced no setbacks from putting weight on the foot at 4 weeks post0-op, and I’m very glad that I did. It’s taken about 1.5 weeks for me to become very comfortable walking without crutches. I experienced the tingles in the heel, the slight and sometimes abrupt pain in the Achilles area, and other minor pains in this process. When something hurts, I just stop.
At home, I’m able to walk around barefoot which I also believe helps strengthen and add balance to my foot. I do have a slight limp. My doctor just gave me an ankle brace to wear in 1-2 weeks (it’ll be on tonight so I can get used to it), and my next appointment isn’t until 9 weeks post op.
Some other points about my recovery are,
- I never slept with the boot, just couldn’t do it. The first night was a little ruff but the rest worked out just fine especially with an ace bandage.
- I kept my crutches with me almost til the 6 week mark, and they definitely helped for longer walks;
- I used a vibrating massager on the Achilles and calf to help loosen things up, which I think helped in the quick recovery;
- Everyday, I puncture 3 vitamin E capsules and put it on the scar, then cover with gauze, and wrap with an ace bandage. It’s healing very nicely.
- I can do 20, 2 leg heal raises no problem;
- I’m washing the foot good with warm water daily;
- I haven’t made it to physical therapy yet, but hope to get in there in the next week or so;
- I’m giving the scooter back tomorrow, which is sad, but definitely necessary. I could ride that thing around the house all the time when even when healthy.
- When racing with the dogs, I almost ran over one of their paws, but luckily I was able to abandon the scooter just in time to cause no harm. Be sure to watch out for pets with the scooter.
That’s all I have for now. Looking forward to wearing a pair of flip flops soon!
Filed under: Uncategorized and