Oct 07 2008

Conservative … 8 weeks 2 days post ATR and the cast is off

Published by bernardhg at 4:21 am under Uncategorized

I have just come back from the NHS clinic… without a cast or even a boot.

The senior surgeon looked at the foot…. wants me back in 2 months…. and booked into physio asap….. (this Thursday)…. he wants me to take it easy but start to put weight on my leg … still with crutches ….. then start walking….. but no moon boot.   Fornutately I took my site boots along… just it case a scenario like this could have happened.  Here is a picture of my foot as it now is …… fresh from the clinic…….

my foot just after the cast has been removed

7 Responses to “Conservative … 8 weeks 2 days post ATR and the cast is off”

1. jonathan9on 07 Oct 2008 at 4:38 am

Hi Bernard,
    Well you certainly are a lucky fellow, living in a postcode that gives you NHS physio. I was just sent out of the clinic without any physio or exercises.
    Milk it as long as you can. I have had private physio and only 4 weeks and 6 sessions later I am barely limping and can (just) walk on my toes.

Good luck with the healing,
    Jon

2. anniehon 07 Oct 2008 at 6:05 am

That looks great, only problem though,….you won’t get any sympathy without a scar!!

Grab as much physio as you can, I had to pay for mine, I just had one visit to NHS Physio in my local Doctors, and she mainly just took notes. Cost me a fortune after that with private physio £40 a visit!!!! After 4 visits it was reduced to £25 a visit.

Annie

3. jonathan9on 07 Oct 2008 at 6:34 am

I’m the same as Annie, £35 a time with my physio. So far 6 session = £210 and counting.

4. Mikeon 07 Oct 2008 at 1:39 pm

FYI…….ATR are a royal pain in the rear as far as time lost from work and other physical activities are concerned, but, I have to say that looking at the big picture, it is a bit of an overrated injury if you factor in all the doomsday stories. I mean, people were sharing all these horror stories with me about never getting back to my old self, and about this protracted recovery process with untold sessions of physical therapy……..baloney!!

I ruptured mine in early October of ‘05 and by February of ‘06 I was back doing my regular running routine, albeit with a reduced mileage regiment. Keep in mind that I was so angry because of the surgery and being confined to limping around on crutches, I was determined to get better and back to my old self.

ATR is pain (literally) in the rear; however, do NOT listen to anybody who tells you that you won’t get back to your old self; instead, get really angry and fired up and you’ll be amazed at how you can parlay that pi$$ and vinegar attitude into a speedy recovery.

5. anniehon 07 Oct 2008 at 2:13 pm

Mike,

I am not too sure how to take your comments, are they to inspire or to mock!!?? I have read it several times and keep coming up with different theories. The one I have chosen to take notice of is the ‘get angry and get fit’, I hope that is was you meant.

As I am 6 months plus down the line and nowhere near my previous fitness it looks like I will have to get ‘very very angry’ to progress to full fitness.

Annie

6. bernardhgon 07 Oct 2008 at 2:25 pm

Dear Mike

I agree with you

I was not put off by the injury…. I still went on holiday… and work (site visits).. I am self employed … so no work ….. no money……I was angry when the senior surgeon 5 weeks ago tried to enforce an above the knee cast on me….. I said no…. I need to work….. even though the cast is just off…. I still need to go to site tomorrow………I have kept moving… and trying excerise even with the cast……8 weeks is quick… but I have no time to let the injury get in the way of work……unfortunately its my wife who suffers more… as she needs to drive me around……

7. dazfon 07 Oct 2008 at 3:07 pm

I will definatley consider paying for physio rather then waiting for the NHS. To be homest I don’t know what the service is like in my local NHS so will have to wait and see. I am only 7 days post op so i have a fair while to wait yet.

I have a seperate page on my blog for UK ATR sufferers to post their experiences on their local NHS or just to say hello to fellow UK bloggers.