May 14 2013

Ditched the boot!!!!

Published by bambam at 12:47 pm under Uncategorized

Well, I’ve listened to some of your comments and ditched the boot (and the crutches) on Sunday! Well indoors at least. Man it feels good! It was really starting to drive me mad.

I’d been taking it off to shower (ever since I had it fitted at week 4ish) so knew I could stand on two feet. I just hadn’t had the bottle to try and walk.
I’m not walking properly at all. I’m kind of shuffling like I did in my boot when I used to hobble with no crutches, you know, bad foot forward then bring the other level so I’m not actually working the AT (yet).
That said it feels great. We dropped the kids off a school this morning and although I only walked to the car and back I had two shoes on!!!!

2 shoes

It’s been such a long time, I even had a chuckle when I couldn’t find my left shoe as there must be 10 different right shoes at our front door.
Sorry to ramble on but I felt so good I just wanted to share it.
See the doc on Monday when hopefully he’ll confirm I can officially be in two shoes again and start my rehab.
Hooray for 2 shoes!

ps yee harrrrrrrrrr. It has took me 2 hours to get this photo on.
Big thanks kellygirl for pointing me to chocolata’s blog.
However, unfortunately I’ve no idea how I did it!!!!!
Shout to torngoals too for showing it could be done.
I’m worn out now!!

26 Responses to “Ditched the boot!!!!”

1. eyechilleson 14 May 2013 at 12:52 pm

Congrats! Hopefully you get the green light from the doc. Your gait will improve with time especially as you build up your strength and regain your dorsiflexion. Hang in there!

2. normofthenorthon 14 May 2013 at 1:41 pm

The way you’re limping is Just Right. Everything should be ANAP (Normal) except the length of the steps, which is initially way asymmetrical and gradually improves. After a while you’ll be able to walk symmetrically but only slowly (with shorter strides), then gradually faster. And do Watch Your Step — not just because of your AT, either. Everything is weak or “rusty”!

3. yakswakon 14 May 2013 at 1:51 pm

Ha that is funny about not knowing where the “other” shoe went… I had to search high and low (mostly low) for my “other” shoes as well. Since I had doubled up on the insoles to raise up my good side during the boot stage, those shoes were all loose and shabby looking compared to the other side that hadn’t been used in weeks. I’m sure I’ll get them all re-broken-in again soon enough…

4. Ripraproaron 14 May 2013 at 1:52 pm

Great news bb

You will hobble a day or so until you get your confidence and strength back , confidence will also come when your doc gives you the ok next week, he will do.

5. kellygirlon 14 May 2013 at 2:18 pm

Yay! This is exciting news. I’m looking forward to reading about your progression :) Good luck and be careful not to over do it!

6. torngoalson 14 May 2013 at 3:27 pm

Bambam….I’m so looking forward to the 2 shoe day…maybe next week. It’s funny how we can all relate to the one shoe (where’s the other) comment. I know it’s going to seem strange to stand on both feet. I’m still at the only full weight (but not really) if I have the boot off. I take the boot off to shower, but still have to use a chair in the shower. Keep up the great progress…one hobble at a time.

7. torngoalson 14 May 2013 at 3:28 pm

Norm,

Loved your comment about everything being weak or rusty…that is soooo true….whole body off kilter!

8. Ripraproaron 14 May 2013 at 4:52 pm

Bb
    I miss the boot know spendthewhole day tryi g to find matching sock :0)

9. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thanks, it feels soooooo good to do a little walk. Even if I am a bit lop sided!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

10. ripraproaron 14 May 2013 at 5:07 pm

God my spell check thingy
    I’ve lost the moment now, was meant to say I miss the boot, I now spend the whole day trying to find matching socks.
    Norm the only advice you give me I haven’t listened to, you said I could always read the post before sending, sorry I’ve always had a rebel streak

11. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thanks Norm, you are so right. I’m almost not looking where I’m going because I’m too busy looking at the floor! Looking for stones and uneven paths outside or for rogue cars or trains in the house!!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

12. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:11 pm

Cheers, I’m sure he will too.
    My missus is taking me to the gym tomorrow (first workout in months).
    I know this sounds lame but I’m really excited! Its like being a kid at Christmas all over again.
    ps get in Arsenal! Always had a soft spot for the cockerneys!!
    pps did you get your own blog started off yet??

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

13. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thanks kg,
    you are very right. Small steps. You’ll be there too very soon. Probably sooner than you think.
    Personally at your stage I watched the entire box set of the Sopranos (approx 80 1 hour episodes) and read Steve Jobs biography plus another 3 or 4 autobiographies.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

14. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:25 pm

Good luck for next week. I really hope you get the ok for 2 shoes.
    It’s great being able to share this (sometimes frustrating) experience with so many others who know exactly what you are going through and can completely relate to the elation we feel when passing little milestones.
    Just tonight I picked my little boy up from beavers and as it was a nice night I insisted in walking home as its only half a mile or so.
    I took my crutches just to be safe but I was so happy at being able to do that I felt 10 feet tall.
    It also made my day when my little one was so excited to be out with his Dad without that cumbersome boot.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

15. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:25 pm

lol

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

16. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:30 pm

I’m sure you will.
    To be honest I was surprised it fit ok. I was expecting to have a battle with the swelling (mainly around my ankle) but since I’ve stopped using the boot the swelling isn’t nearly as bad. I always found it was fine in the morning but after a few hours in the boot the swelling came back.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

17. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:37 pm

Grrrrrrr, had a photo to upload of me tonight, in two shoes, heading out to pick my little boy up.
    Only problem is I cant get the thing uploaded.
    I’ve clicked on the admin page and add media but when I try and upload it unfortunately computer says “no”!!
    Grrrrr, modern technology.
    Also apologies if my replies seem out of sink.
    I did reply to them all in the admin page but they appear to have been inserted one after the other.
    I’m sure you’ll all be able to work out which reply is for you!!!

18. kellygirlon 14 May 2013 at 5:43 pm

If the photo is too large, it will not upload. I use a free on-line picture re-sizer before uploading. I try to reduce by 50% at least. Perhaps give that a try.

19. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thanks gonna try it now.
    Problem is I’ve just joined the world of Apple too so I’m trying to figure my macbook out at the same time.
    Now where’s that photo stored………

20. kellygirlon 14 May 2013 at 5:57 pm

This is exactly how I upload: http://achillesblog.com/chocolata/2010/03/08/i-can-insert-a-photo-in-my-post-at-last/comment-page-1/

21. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 6:49 pm

wahhhhhh F&*k, S**t, Bas**rd.
    Computer still says no!!!!!!!!!
    It’s driving me mad!!!!!!
    I get the command line but when I preview it’s just a little icon, no photo.
    Help me………………………..

22. kellygirlon 14 May 2013 at 6:57 pm

Ah, that is frustrating but you will get it. It took me several tries the first time and I got the little icon too. You did re-size and it still didn’t work? Did you resize at least 50%?Last, are you sure you saved the re-sized photo to your media library? Did you see the link that I posted about adding photos? It looks like it is still awaiting moderation.

23. bambamon 14 May 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hoooooorraaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :0)
    thanks Kg

24. kellygirlon 14 May 2013 at 7:23 pm

Lol! Nice to “see” you, BB! You are looking quite balanced there on two feet–I’m slightly jealous :D Congratulations on the picture posting victory! Give yourself a pat on the back–patience and perseverance pays off again.

25. kkirkon 15 May 2013 at 2:12 am

That’s awesome BamBam. Its very liberating to get out of the boot and get back in your shoes. BTW I think all of us do the ATR shuffle in the beginning of 2-shoes, so no worries there, but do watch your step for a few more weeks until your out of the danger zone of setbacks. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. :)

26. micah1on 15 May 2013 at 10:40 am

Congratulations Bambam, I’m 12 days in 2 shoes, shorter steps is the key. I’m still using 2 crutches outside and 1 or none around the house dependant upon distance (not much distance yet, just around the kitchen without, and tottering down the road and back with crutches). I’m better in trainers than bare feet and better when not tired, which I think from reading on here is fairly normal.
    Keep on plodding.