May 11 2013

NHS have left me to rot!!!

Published by bambam at 4:18 am under Uncategorized

Hi all,
I’m having a bad few days having read lots of posts about other NHS treatments. I feel like I’ve just been put out to pasture from a service that don’t embrace any new techniques.
I’m on week 12 now and still in a hinged boot with crutches. (Although I hobble around without them a lot!)
Last saw the consultant on week 5 (when my boot was fitted) not due to see him again until 20th May. He said he was transferring my care to the physios. (My boot hasn’t had any changes made since it was fitted!)
I saw a physio at week 5 who gave me 3 exercises to do with my boot off every 2 hours. These were toes pointing down then back up as far as was comfortable times 10 and circular movements clockwise and anti clockwise times 5. She also gave me elbow crutches and told me to start putting weight on when I was walking with crutches.
Saw another physio 3 weeks later (week 8) who told me the exercises were fine but I only needed to do them 3 times a day.
I told him I was feeling good and could hobble around without my crutches ok in the house. He looked horrified “you’ll do it again” he said “put weight through your crutches or you’ll do it again! You can’t rush these things. I’ll see you again in 8 weeks.”
I did ask is that it? No standing, other exercises, bike work? He was quite adamant time was the healer.
At that time I wasn’t aware of the varying treatments and that being aggressive could be of benefit so I couldn’t argue with him.
This has left me very frustrated, especially having read about other’s treatment.
I keep hearing the consultants words “I’m transferring your care to the physios.” It sounded to me like I was going to get regular sessions working out and strengthening but it hasn’t happened. So has the consultant failed me or is it the physio dept? Or is it the correct treatment for where my rupture was?
As for scans etc - never had one.
Getting myself so down thinking about it.
Help!!!!

10 Responses to “NHS have left me to rot!!!”

1. ripraproaron 11 May 2013 at 5:59 am

Bb
    I know the feeling mate even when I went private, but I made sure I complained but also took Uwo protocol given to me by norm , I did say instead of I want to follow that, could you please read and give me your view, it will take a real idiot to turn you down, it’s an open question you will be giving to he or she, worse comes to worse , just do your own adjustment tell them you can’t Come and follow advice from norm, kkk, Ryan , Alton
    Re the pt I pay for , we’ll I’m actually away and doing my own on hols in pool and gym following advice from here, the hardest part is understanding terminology its Latin or Greek such as D flex plantar etc, but there’s lots cool people on here to help, also I follow you tube video such as brady browne his first pt sessions are similar to mine, hillie also as fine protocol, finally chin up mate you macams arnt use to being spoiled a bit like us lanky s , both have frustrating NHS and footy teams , mate if your waiting for poor NHS insist on better service if that fails get advice from here you’ve nothing to lose and in my opinion it’s better than a bad NHS

2. trickybrickyon 11 May 2013 at 6:08 am

Do your own thing mate .Im also 12 weeks and have been in 2 shoes for 3.5 weeks(self prescribed) so as you say unless you have something out of the ordinary look at all the other people who are walking at 8-9 weeks.I wouldn’t look to much into thinking you have been abandoned I did have choice of op or not but that’s it I have had 1 physio app trust me your not alone.Chin up and Haway the lads
    :-)

3. ripraproaron 11 May 2013 at 6:36 am

Hi everyone,
    I’m after some help, I’m trying to create a post on my blog instead of jumping on everyone else’s threads , Dennis kindly give me access, however I’m struggling to change the title , it does say there will be an option to edit or delete but kind find it, then I don’t know where to put the post.
    Ideally I want to put what rehab I’m doing whilst on vacation, and how I feel each day? I hopefully want to down load some pics. But like the ATR one step at a time, I’m rubbish at IT , I’m too impatient wish I brought my pa along but not sure my better half would approve

4. Bambamon 11 May 2013 at 6:55 am

Hi RRR,
    I didn’t bother with editing the hello world blog.
    I just started another post off.
    On your page at the top right there should be a space to write a new title and underneath there’s a place for you to post.
    That will then put your post on the main page and people can reply to it.

5. ripraproaron 11 May 2013 at 8:30 am

Hi bb
    I went to my account can only see a dashboard and profile , nowhere to write post, I did find something called wordpress, maybe there’s something in there but it’s lots of text don’t want to start getting into that may miss the cup final.
    Are you feeling any chirpier mate, you will get there I have had the dark days still do , but this site really helps , start doing your own thing I say and use doc as a crutch , if you ain’t got a t band get one they are a few bob, and gently does it , my pt said to do as hard as I can , bad advice , I got a stabbing pain and a lump that won’t go, the advice from the site was listen to your body and that’s what I do, to be honest I don’t know h my story will end up but I’ve more chance now that I’m not totally in the hands of a prehistoric doc.

6. Bambamon 11 May 2013 at 9:21 am

Hi Rrr,
    Send an email to Dennis at the following email address achillesblog@gmail.com
    Tell him who you are and how you did it, how far you are on etc.
    He’ll then set your own blog page for you.
    He set mine up just this week.
    You’ll be up and blogging in no time.
    Hope this helps
    Bambam

7. bambamon 11 May 2013 at 12:34 pm

Wow, how did that feel? Are you putting full weight on then? which nhs are treating you?
    I did mine virtually at the join of the calf muscle so pretty high up. To be honest it feels ok apart from the swelling. I have no real pain in it apart from I feel it pulling when I’m doing my exercises.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

8. Ripraproaron 11 May 2013 at 5:17 pm

Hi bb
    Done that a while ago got page just can’t change it , I appreciate it’s me though,
    Hey well done Wigan , local rivals but chuffed for them

9. kellygirlon 11 May 2013 at 7:13 pm

That’s disappointing. So much conflicting and confusing information out there about treatment. I can totally sympathize. While you can’t change what’s happened at least you are armed with information now and can take more control over the situation. I’m cheering you on from the States. Good luck!

10. micah1on 12 May 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have never had a scan either Bambam. i think the hospital I attend base diagnosis on clinical observations, rather than using scans to confirm what a good clinician can tell from a thorough examination and history.
    Regarding the use of crutches, some of the advice the physio gave me when I went into 2 shoes at 7 weeks was that once I was more confident, in the kitchen etc I could just hold on to the back of furniture or the work surface. I have just stated to get to that point and find I abandon the crutch , although I do mostly wear my running trainers indoors as I get a better gait than barefoot still.
    Good luck with your next appointment.