Avulsion for once

This may be it.

May 28, 2010 · 8 Comments

I hadn’t realized that I haven’t posted since the beginning of October 2009, but then little remarkable has happened since then anyway, just enough that I’ve some last little pearls of wisdom.

Don’t wear boots!

Once you’re told to go FWB and into two shoes, make sure they are shoes. I wen’t to wearing the Catapillar Alaska’s right away and hadn’t realized that I was hampering my recovery for months. With all that extra support around the ankle I stopped developing strength long before I should have. I’m now in two shoes, aided most thoughtfully by my boots actually falling apart.

There can be too much support!

While preparing for this post I was reading some of the stuff from newcomers and noticed that there are some common threads about pain with the Plantar’s tendon. I too had that and it was a suggestion from my personal trainer that I get rid of the extra support in my boots that I credit for the pain going away. I’d been getting twinges and a couple of charlie horses in my sole but once I got rid of the added support those pains went away almost immediately.

Keep Moving!

I have said it before and I’ll say it to anyone who cares to listen, the worst thing to do with this injury is stop moving. Walking won’t hurt but climbing stairs, walking hills, hiking, cycling and most winter sports would be much more beneficial. Stretching that damnable tendon is necessary, especially if the internal sutures are left in place.

Do what you promise yourself

Simple, straightforward and you avoid regrets as well as make things happen. Even a year on I’ll get little jabs of depression because of the things that I didn’t do when the injury gave me the opportunity.

Relate

Don’t let things sink in, take advantage of any support systems that you have in place and talk about what you’re going through. Those close to you will be affected most and you may think that you’ve hidden your depression and anger well, but it’ll come out. You may even think that people should just take it as rote that you will be depressed and angry, but if you’re hiding it they may not realize just how much you are affected. Relate to someone, get it out in the open and let it heal. Like a poorly closed suture emotional wounds need to drain before they can close.

Prompted

Today was the first day I rode my bike outside. Its been almost 65 weeks since the injury and 67 weeks since I last rode outside. Its so much better than riding indoors and it was such a gorgeous day I’m really glad I did it. Amazingly there was also a considerable difference in how the tendon felt when riding in the wild rather than on the trainer. The gait, posture and angles all changed and I could feel the tightness in the tendon. Feels good though, now.

This should be it, likely the last post, but I’ll try to keep up with any notifications.

My best to you all and remember to keep your feet under you.

Tim

music inspiring this post: The Fixx, Shuttered Room; The Cure, Faith; Pukka Orchestra, Pukka Orchestra

Categories: Content
Tagged: , , , , ,

8 responses so far ↓

• mari // May 30th 2010 at 7:52 pm

I’m 10 months out and started swimming today.

I need to wrap my brain around biking outside, I dismount with the bad foot.

• normofthenorth // May 31st 2010 at 1:58 am

Mari, if you put your foot forward when you dismount, so your weight is near your heel instead of near your toe, you should be safe as houses. . .

There are always surprises, but if you’re at 10 months, you should be able to handle it all.

• Gerryr // May 31st 2010 at 6:49 am

Got for it Mari. I was back on my bike at 8 months and would have been on it sooner except we didn’t have a very nice winter here and cycling on ice isn’t much fun.
    I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “dismount with the bad foot.” Could you explain?

• 2ndtimer // May 31st 2010 at 9:12 am

It was good to hear from you. I agree, too much support does not help at later stages of recovery, I enjoy the freedom of walking in my sandals finally. Hope this will be indeed a most enjoyable warm summer with lots of hiking, beach combing etc. in Ontario!

• normofthenorth // May 31st 2010 at 11:35 am

Gerry, I took it to mean that she (probably) tore her left AT, and dismounts by swinging her right foot over the seat, which puts all her weight on that “bad” foot — and usually on the ball of that foot, which puts all her weight on her calf and AT.

For you fancy-bike folks, who use cleats or toe clips, weighting the AT on dismount is non-negotiable. For us in the cycling hoi polloi, it’s pretty easy (though vitally important!) to “fudge” our foot position, while pedaling and esp. when dismounting, to avoid loading the AT with our whole body weight in the weeks before it can handle it.

• tony duggan-smith // Jul 31st 2010 at 8:31 am

As one of the Pukka Orchestra I can attest to the healing power of music including our own. If having our songs in the background of what you have had to deal with has helped in even the mildest way, it gives me great pleasure and adds meaning to the reason we wrote those songs in the first place. In turn, your blog is your form of expression which makes me think perhaps you should find a way to add a musical component to it…. what instrument do you play……. Do you sing…. Life throws many obstacles in our paths and we have to learn to hum along!

• assumptiondenied // Aug 22nd 2010 at 2:25 am

Tony - thanks for the post! It means a great deal to know that you’ve taken this time and yes, keeping my toes tapping helped my Achilles heal (even if I couldn’t do any pogoing). As for inflicting my musical talents on the world - I dunno, even my air-guitar causes people to cringe and lyrically? I’m still stuck with the schlocky teenage-angst poetry I suffered from in 1983 - in other words I could give Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings a run for her money.

…humming cherry beach express…

• joinaine // Oct 1st 2013 at 6:18 am

Sorry to bump an old post, but I hope all has continued to go well. I have the calcaneal avulsion version of the ATR as well. I had surgery 24 hours ago and I’m educating myself on rehab. There is a lot of good info on this blog for which I am thankful. I read all of your posts and appreciate having your personal story to relate to. One question: I really want to mobilize early without being stupid about it. Is there any research showing that the calcaneal avulsion version of the ATR should or should not have early mobilization? Much appreciation for any information.

You must log in to post a comment.