arielmarisa’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

i did it, i did it, I DID IT!

Filed under: Uncategorized — arielmarisa at 8:33 pm on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

One FULL year since my achilles tendon laceration…what!? So unbelievable, that exactly one year ago today I experienced the most painful, life altering injury of my life…But, I did it. I survived an entire year and I couldn’t feel better! Technically I haven’t completed my marathon yet since one year from my surgery will be August 11…but I feel like I’ve completed like 4 achilles marathons at this point. There were definitely times where I felt that I was NEVER going to get better…that I would be stuck feeling hopeless and in pain. But for those of you that are feeling like that, IT DOES GET BETTER!

One year later and I’m still feeling a little tightness in the area, and it does ache still after working out or a day of walking, but that’s more than I could hope for after this happened. At least I CAN work out and walk and do my everyday tasks, and all those things that I had SO much trouble doing on crutches…but that’s all in the past! I’ve tried wearing heels, but it’s very difficult, so that’s still a task I need to overcome. My surgery site still gets swollen by the end of the day, but I’m hoping that gets better within the next year as well.

Today was really surreal, but I am so happy that I can say I’ve completed a year. For those who have just begun their journey, or even if you’re exactly where I am, I have to let you know that it really does get better. Just be careful, and take care of yourself and time will fly….and then you can be writing your year blog post too!

6 Comments »

Comment by rugbyjo

August 3, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

congrats Ariel,

Wishing I was in your shoes right now but it sounds great to know that its been a year. What I did see in your post is that it still hurts to wear heels…no!! That’s all I ever wear…I’m going to have to figure out a way to start liking flats.

Cheers!
Jojo

Comment by taraw

August 3, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

hiya
omg i cant wait to get in heels again plus im short lol
sounds like you heeled great i hope i do too, congratulations :-)
at the min im thinking of ways to keep slim as Gym was my best friend, wont be seeing GYM for a while :-(
Tara x

Comment by alison

August 4, 2011 @ 4:16 am

Thanks for posting, it is great to read your success a year on.

Comment by Bronny

August 4, 2011 @ 6:19 am

Hey RugbyJo
Don’t worry, I could wear heels no problems at about 8 months…I certainly didn’t feel comfortable doing so at 5 though (i mis-step and its back to square 1)…and i’m not normally much of a heel wearer. If you want it, you’ll get there!

Comment by parisgirl78

August 6, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Congratulations Ariel! I’ve just started my journey and it is great to read your post knowing that things will get better.

Comment by lsjoberg