arielmarisa’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

The pain is back…

Filed under: Uncategorized — arielmarisa at 6:50 pm on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

So it’s officially 8 months since my surgery. Kind of surreal if you ask me. This year has been so strange and so different then any year so far in college..all because of my achilles. By December, the last time I posted, I was doing pretty well. Things only went uphill from there. I was going to the gym 3 times a week, I was walking pretty normally, and I finally had the courage to wear sandals. I was finally getting back to normal again. I was able to go on a cruise for Spring Break and have a life again. It wasn’t until this last month that I was really starting to feel the pain again. I got another job at another restaurant..(and I am staying FAR away from it’s back door.) I work only 3 times a week, but I am on my feet for about 8 hours walking back and forth to tables, not to mention I’ve had to close the restaurant every time I work. Closing includes, sweeping, mopping, stacking chairs…all things that I should be able to do normally but can’t.

I get home each night I work with my ankle SO swollen and throbbing it hurts to walk. I’ve tried icing it, but it doesn’t seem to help because the next day I’m limping again. I go to the gym still, but even that leads me to limping. It’s frustrating because I was coming along so far, and I feel like I’m falling back again. I still think about the accident from time to time and literally stop in my tracks and cringe when I think about it. It’s like this haunting thought in the back of my head that makes me stop when I hear a skateboard behind me thinking that it’s going to crash into me, or when I stop at a door because I’m scared to go through it. Are these thoughts ever going to stop? And am I ever going to be able to walk normally again?

I’m going back to the doctor on Monday just for a check up, but maybe that will answer my questions. It’s great to have my life back, but it’s a very altered life. Hopefully my limping stops soon and I can go back to my semi-normal life. But I will say…these last 8 months have gone so fast, faster than I would have ever expected. 4 more months till I have completed a full year of recovery, and I cannot wait!

5 Comments »

Comment by iski7b

April 13, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

I’m so sorry. I wish I had magic words to make it all better.
Stay positive, and listen to your body- we’re here for ya!

Comment by suthrnman

April 14, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

If you aren’t using an Ace bandage or maybe a compression sock, then doing so probably will help the swelling a lot . . . it does for me.

Hope things get better. Blessings, pk

Comment by grant

June 29, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

i think what you are experiencing is withing a “normal” range of recovery. I am 5 months and 2 weeks post surgery. I have been playing soccer again for 3 weeks now. Much sooner than my trainer recommended, but I feel good about so I go for it. I am unable to sprint, but can run and run and run at a fast jogging pace. Three weeks of soccer and no scares yet. However, If i work a 12 hour shift on concrete (I’m in the construction trade), my ankle will swell and a very bad limp comes back. Standing and working on concrete for extended periods of time is very taxing on your feet and ankles. Your muscles will eventually tire. Once your muscles go, your tendons and ligaments work extra hard. Think of it as an 8 hour workout on muscles not really back to normal shape yet……ouch! its going to hurt. rest, ice and compression are your friend!

Eventually the swelling will pass. Your soft tissue will get in better and better shape over time and swelling will become less and less noticeable. As you get physically better you will become stronger mentally. The skate board chasing your heels feeling will probably not go away until after all of your physical recovery is done. And it will come! Stay strong.

Seeing the doctor is a positive thing. I believe he will tell you that soreness is normal given your job description, but getting an opinion from the doctor that repaired you is always a good thing. I think what you need is to try and settle into a schedule that allows you to have at least one day a week without pain, swelling or soreness. That one positive day can be enough to convince you that the pain is actually associated with the workload and not a damaged tendon. Bummer that you have to work so much, but I believe you will be fine! Try and stay positive.

Comment by deedub

June 30, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I am curious to know if you are wearing any kind of compression on your ankle. I bought a compression bandage that goes all the way to just below my knee which I like a lot and which helps me tremendously. I am only 2 months from my injury date so not back to normal. Out of RICE I find all helpful and compression to be the best. Take care and best wishes.

Comment by arielmarisa

June 30, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I do have a compression sock that I wear from time to time. It definitely helps when I’m on my feet for long periods of time. =)

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI