A few days with shoes…more sympathy looks!

First off I hope I’m not offending anyone or rubbing it in any faces that I am on 2 feet so soon…I consider myself pretty damn lucky!  So I am on day #5 with wearing two shoes, 2 heel lifts on my bum foot.  I am actually amazed at how good it feels to get some blood flowing to that area!  I have to be really disciplined not to want to skip the crutch(es) completely…Kasey let me have it last night as I was scooting around the kitchen sans any walking aids.  Truthfully though I feel pretty luck to be at this point.

At PT yesterday I asked about no CAM boot, and DaRinda (my PT) and crew just laughed and said, “Sorry, you’re kind of in uncharted territory for us!”  I take that as a good thing, and asked to measure my range of motion again–I am 6 degrees from 90 when I push my foot up, so that was cool.  The other ATR patient they have right now is a woman who is at 6 mos post op and still having trouble walking, has built up scar tissue, etc.–I feel for her and really hope things turn around.  As for PT for the next 3 weeks or so it will just be massaging the foot, calf and tendon to try to prevent scar tissue, and then I can start some light strength training on it.  (Not sure if DaRinda meant 6 wks post op, or 6 wks from now…in any case I’m chilling out for a few weeks.)

As far as walking it turns out when I was using one crutch I was using the wrong arm (d’oh!)!  Yeah, Andy is S-M-R-T smart smart smart.  It’s funny though–I move slowly with my one crutch and people still give all the sympathy looks and stuff, but I think to myself “you have no idea how nice this is compared to where I was 2 weeks ago”!  Actually though people are great and do their best to get out of my way–except for the Menonite/Huderite lady at Wal-Mart last night who about took me out just outside the door in her mad dash to meet her party.  I just about whacked her with my crutch!  (OK just kidding, it was nice to be totally ignored for once.  :) )

Anyway, I still go pretty slow and am still pretty paranoid about doing too much right now but love the 2 feet stage. 

6 Responses to “A few days with shoes…more sympathy looks!”

  1. Am I reading this right? 3 weeks and 3 days and you skipped the boot and went to 2 shoes?

  2. Actually 2 weeks and 6 days and straight to 2 shoes, albeit with 2 heel lifts. I was surprised as well. I am cautiously optimistic this goes well!

  3. Incredible! As you know you are in the minority as far the ATR timeline goes. Nothing like what I went through. I get my shoes next week. I’ll be almost 9 weeks post op then.
    Maybe I should move to N. Dakota :)

  4. LOL…I don’t know if you want to be that drastic…it’s COLD here and definitely missing the cool factor of NYC! :)

    Good luck though next week, it is a crazy sensation to put a shoe on and walk. Do you go pretty much unaided at that point or still use a crutch or two?

  5. Andy,
    At this point I’m in the boot using 1 crutch in my apt. 2 crutches if i am outside [for speed]. Next week I won’t need any aid but may use a cane.

  6. I’m just one week post surgery today and I am able to put full weight on my cast (with a rubber-bottomed walking shoe–very lovely). In fact, I’ve not had crutches at all–I left the surgical center with the walking cast. My tendon wasn’t truly torn–but pulled away from the heel bone (my doctor said it was one of the worst he had seen in 30 years of doing this surgery; the surgery itself lasted 2 hours instead of the expected one hour). I had a boney growth (he used a term that seemed to have about 6 words) which was HUGE–he said a bad one would be about 1/2 inch high and 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide and mine was the size of his thumb. Anyway, about 1/4 inch of my tendon was still attached to my heel bone and he was able to attach the rest of the tendon securely to the bone. I wear this fiberglass cast for about 5-6 weeks and then he will remove it (hopefully). Since I’m able to walk (slowly) I am much more mobile than the rest of you–but still bored. No real pain since 48 hours post surgery, but I did stay in bed with my foot elevated and iced for 2 1/2 days. Good luck to all of you–I’m feeling optimistic about recovery sooner rather than later.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash