One week post op, first dr. visit

Hey all-I got to go to my first post op dr. visit yesterday: Surgery + 7 days.  My foot has been HUGE, even after eleveting and icing quite a bit, but Dr. Askew said it looked great, so I was pumped about that.  I was able to get my staples removed (yes, STAPLES) from my incision.  I tell you, looking down and seeing two parts of your skin STAPLED together, looking away for a minute, then looking back and realizing that yes, that was my appendage, was kind of freaky.  Oh well, they came out without a hitch.  It was nice to get my leg out of the splint/wrap…mostly because of the swelling pushing against the finite space of the wrap…ouch. 

I went straight to my first physical therapy (PT) session, where my leg was worked over a little bit and then massaged, and finally put in this crazy ice machine-type wrap to help reduce the swelling…that felt like a million bucks!  My range of motion is way ahead of schedule, which they were amazed with.  I credit Dr. Askew more than genetics, but my goodAchilles had above average range as well, so maybe.  They asked Dr. Askew if they could accelerate things–he was hesitant, mostly because only time can actually heal the tendon.  So still crutches for another 2-3 weeks…<sigh>.  I asked when I would be able to walk again, and was kind of looked at funny, like “hold on there buddy.”  Alas it sounds like 2 weeks minimum before the CAM boot….<sigh again>.  I kind of got on my pity pot after that…reality sinks in that no matter how good of shape I was in I am limited in what I can do and how long things take.

One thing that was painful was a big half a golf ball sized blister on the inside of my ankle.  I was told it was from surgery.  I had felt pain their all week, including a few hours after surgery.  Since the surgery center is about 2 blocks from my house I had it checked then and it was nothing.  Now a week later and this huge thing.  Needless to say…a rubbing alcohol scrubbed pin and a few kleenex later and it was gone.  The fluid that came out smelled a lot like betadyne (sp?) or heavily medicated…wonder if it is something from surgery that is put in my leg to prevent infection that might have gotten out of control.

Anyway, I know have a splint on the TOP side of my leg, which I thought was weird; leaving the bottom incision and repaired tendon exposed to the world.  I guess the main goal is to prevent upward movement of my foot to prevent stretching the tendon right now.  I have some plantar flexion (point down) exercises to do whenever and whereever to help aid in the swelling.  I guess I will just grin and bear it and hope my leg is well enough in 2 weeks to get the CAM boot fitted…I SO want to walk again.  My 2 yr old and 2 golden retrievers think this guy who used to do EVERYTHING with them is now a worthless pile of couch potato.   (OK, maybe that is just me but sure feel like a waste of space right now…plus can’t help my pregnant wife-5 mos-either.  Makes you feel like a real loser.)

Back to work now and hopefully things start looking up!

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash