I am so happy I could

dance….but I will wait until I can start “high intensity sports”.  On Friday I lost the wicked crutches.  It felt great to carry them instead of them carrying me.   By the way, I finally learned how to use one crutch.

Over the past 2 days, I have been everywhere with my CAM boot….Target, Old Navy, Flat Rock Bakery, Barleys, a dog party (eleven dogs), the local produce market, a bike shop. Lowes, Sams….. My most important purchase was a new bike helmet.  Also, I am thinking about getting clips and shoes for my bike.  Any thoughts on what would be safer for mountain biking?

Tomorrow, PT begins…..

7 Comments »

1. jeff31 Said,

July 10, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Congratulations, Alice! I also just recently ditched the crutches and that, by far, is the best thing to happen since surgery - I hated those things! Even if we are still not yet our former selves just being on two feet in any fashion feels much more normal!

2. mtbrider Said,

July 11, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Clips and shoes (called clipless) are heaps better for mtb riding. Means you can pedal more efficiently by pulling up as well as pushing down with your foot. You basically pedal in circles, although burns the legs as you use muscles you have never used much before in your legs.

The only thing I am thinking of that could be an issue is the technique of unclipping involves you having to twist out by twisting your ankle outwards. this could cause issues after an ATR depending on your strength and ROM.

It does not take long to get use to the clipping and unclipping action, it becomes a natural action, and for some reason when you fall off/if you fall off they seem to pop off by themselves.

Go for it though, they make a huge difference. Personally I really rate ‘Time’ pedals, I have Time ATAC’s, and using them is much easier that the shimanos I had. I also love having ratchet shoes where a ratchet strap system tightens the shoe over the top of the foot.

mtbrider

3. alice Said,

July 11, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Thanks for the bike information. All of my biking friends say to go clipless, but I wanted to ask bikers with ATRs.

4. Stuart Said,

July 13, 2011 @ 3:15 am

I would sometimes ride in shoes and other times I would clip in. My pedals are a 50/50. Sometimes we would go for a ride then walk off track and the SPD shoes are not very comfortable to walk in. They tend to have your heel slightly below your toes, which makes it hard for those of us without dorsiflexion to walk in them. Clipping in does give you more power and it keeps your foot in the correct place on the pedal. On a bumpy trail there is less chance of your foot slipping off the pedal but if you have to stop quickly then you would need to be sure to unlock your good leg first and plant it to the ground. I watched my nephew stop and forget to unlock. It was a slow motion fall sideways but as mentioned before your foot will break away when you fall. It is only a small twist needed. It will take a bit of time to get used and you should start on footpaths before hitting the trails if you go this way. I probably won’t clip in for a while when I start riding trails again and then clip in on the trails I am more confident with a little later.

5. alice Said,

July 13, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

Thanks, Stuart…..I mostly am thinking about forest service trails until my confidence and endurance return. The ones around here are very bumpy and steep. PT started on Monday for me and I am working on walking in 2 shoes without a limp. So far, the stationary bike has been easier than ambulating!

6. Stuart Said,

July 13, 2011 @ 11:54 pm

I always walk better after riding the stationary bike. It seems to be a very good gentle stretch plus a good aerobic workout. I would be interested in knowing if your physio has put wedges in your shoes to help you walk without a limp.

7. Bess Said,

July 14, 2011 @ 2:37 am

Hi Stuart, I am 5 weeks after surgery and my doctor has recommended a 1cm heel piece to put in my shoes even though I am only on partial weight bearing, makes a difference.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI