adrienne’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

adrienne’s AchillesBlog header image 2

Goody Two Shoes!

February 7th, 2014 · 8 Comments

Finally made it to two shoes. Well, I think….

Saw my ortho yesterday and everything looks really good. He tested my strength which he was happy with (I’ve had 3 PT sessions so far). Then I pointed him to my left shoe that I brought along, just in case. He commented on how nice my shoes were - they were actually my heavy duty hiking boots…we’ve had so much snow here. Then asked me if those were the shoes I’d be wearing most of the time. I said that or sneakers, so he said he would give me heel lifts to reduce the stress on the achilles. Or I could wear shoes with a little bit of a heel. Continue PT and I’d see him again in 6 weeks. He then got a call he had to take and left the room. His assistant came in to give me the heel lifts and that was it.

I left the office in two shoes (and a limp) and got in the car to drive home. I’m happy and singing to the radio when it hits me. He never EXPLICITLY said I could go to two shoes. I replayed the office visit in my head. We talked about shoes and heel lifts, but…. Was it me so focused on transitioning to two shoes that I just assumed it? Argh!

I ran some errands after my doc visit and the achilles got a bit sore. So I’ve decided I’ll be in two shoes and just take it easy. If needed, I can go back into the boot to give my achilles a rest. I will confirm with my PT next Tuesday as she has access to his files.

For now it’s TWO SHOES!!!!

Tags: Post-Surgery

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 chuckv // Feb 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

Here is an exerpt from my first AT tear 4.5 years ago:

I asked a few questions regarding the boot and shoes like “Do I need this Darth Vader contraption anymore?” He said I could start going two shoes but use the boot when I get tired. My wife heard “Wear the boot for a couple of hours then wear shoes and alternate.” I know he didn’t say that. She is just trying to protect me and also trying to avoid another 8 weeks of the reality show… “Life With Gimpy”.

How does the Simon and Garfunkle song go? “A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.” You get the picture. He probably said it was OK but you thought it would feel a lot better than it did. It will feel better but be patient and keep that old boot nearby for when you get weary.

• 2 adrienne // Feb 7, 2014 at 11:25 am

Hi chuckv,
    That made me laugh! I agree, my heart and mind were so set on two shoes. I guess i should have a disinterested third party with me next time. LOL. And thanks for the encouragement!

• 3 janis // Feb 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I think “are those the shoes you’re going to be wearing?” indicates you’re ok in two shoes. At least he didn’t sneak up on you like mine, and you were smart enough to bring both shoes to your appointment! The soreness does get better, a little every day. I froze a small bottle of water and like to roll the bottom of my heel around on that. Congrats and welcome to the Two Shoes Club!

• 4 normofthenorth // Feb 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm

There’s no shame, and lots of sense, in keeping the boot handy for tired or sore times and scary outings — public transit, crowds, traffic, bicycling, uneven ground, whatever.

• 5 Ron // Feb 14, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Keep it going. I strongly suggest doing even more PT now because tendons and muscles have to be rebuilt, and ROM work andor walking cannot do it, alone.

Once I moved to 2 shoes, I realized that ROM work was child’s play. The real work begins NOW. LOL.

Good luck,
    Ron

• 6 janis // Feb 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

How’s it going, Adrienne?

• 7 adrienne // Feb 28, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hey Janis!
    Thanks for asking. Haven’t posted at all as I’ve been somewhat frustrated and feeling like my progress has slowed down. I’ve been keeping up with your posts (and kimc’s) and feeling a bit envious. I have no pain where the haglund’s was excised, but there’s plenty of pain in the achilles. Can’t do heel raises or drops without a good amount of pain. Walking with a marked limp. Can’t even entertain the thought of walking half a mile. Luckily, I don’t have a dog that requires walks. Or I should say “Unluckily” since I love dogs :)

Yesterday’s session was interesting. I’ve always had tight calves so the PT decided to do some dry needling. I’ve had this done before - aka trigger point acupuncture. One session of this is like having 3 sessions of deep tissue massage. You’re really sore for a few days afterwards, but i’m hoping that will relieve the achilles somewhat. At the same time, I’m hoping to go back to my other PT in the city if I get another prescription to continue. She’s much more aggressive.

So will have to wait patiently. I have another doc visit in 2 weeks and hopefully I can return to my original PT.

• 8 janis // Mar 1, 2014 at 10:52 am

I hope you can get to your more aggressive PT soon! I left every session the first 3-4 weeks in more pain than I went in, but definitely for me the pain = progress. I had to think of it that way or I wouldn’t go to PT! The limp gets better week by week. I was frustrated with it too.