No Crutches

July 18, 2012 | |

Finally, this week I have been starting to walk around with no crutches in my boot! To me, this was a major milestone as I got over the fear of putting them down and starting to trust the boot. Im still using 2 for long distances, one crutch occiosionally jsut for some support and none anytime I am home or at work. I do get a bit sore in the achellies area from time to time but nothing crazy.

My knee actually hurts on my boot/bad leg as my walking stride is not normal.. Did anyone else have this? any tips and tricks for walking with the boot? How long before you guys “went into the world” with no crutches??

Im almost at 6 weeks and will be starting to do some 2 leg heel raises and start getting some of that strength back. 2.5 more weeks until I have the OK to drive, but still about a month and a half more of the boot. (seems my doc is only consertive when it comes to how long i need to wear the boot.. 10 weeks all together).

Comments

8 Comments so far

1. joan on July 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Adam,
    I am just a bit farther along that you at 8 weeks post-op. My PT refused to let me put any weight on my foot until 6 weeks (although I did cheat and started at 5 weeks).
    Once 6 weeks came, I threw the crutches away and walked everywhere in the boot. It was strange, but it supported everything that it was supposed to. Plus, your hands will be free to actually carry things!!
    I found that my legs/hips would hurt because of the height difference between the boot and my good bare foot. I found that one of my sandals had a heel that made my legs almost the same, and would wear it at all times. That helped a lot.
    I’m sure that you don’t want to run out and buy a sparkly pair of high heels, but maybe you can find something to raise up your good leg a bit.
    I know that some people on here have purchased a special shoe for just that purpose. I don’t remember what it is called, but I’m sure someone will respond with the name. That should help.
    Good luck!!
    Joan

2. Andrew1971 on July 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Adam,

This skin is not compatable with Internet Explorer9, works fine of google chrome though….but for a wider audience, you might want to change the background layout of the blog.

I am using the ‘evenup’ leveller, it’s an additional sole for that brings your good leg in line with the boot - I found mine on ebay but got the idea from the accessories Vacocast sell to go with there boot.

No crutches is a great milestone congratulations :)

3. Curlygirl on July 18, 2012 9:36 pm

hi,

Congratulations! That is a major milestone. I am still on crutches but have an ‘evenup’ attached to my other shoe which helps. my doctor that fitted the boot supplied it. I find it helps.

4. sheena on July 19, 2012 7:08 am

Hi,
    my knee hurt also in the boot. I asked my physio why and she gave me a really good tip which has helped loads. She said, take shorter steps. I was taking long strides which put more strain on the knee. Taking shorter quicker strides has stopped the pain completely.

5. kimjax on July 19, 2012 8:31 am

Adam - I bought a platform sneaker from amazon - and it made life and walking much easier for a few weeks. Now I’m stuck with some pretty ugly shoes as I quickly went to two shoes…but it was worth it to walk normally! Nothing seems “quick” in the early weeks, however, so I’d fork out for the lift kit or whatever you need to even out your stride till 10 weeks - and get it two day air’d to you. :) The lift kits are adjustable unlike the shoes and better for men - you really need to know your heel size for shoes.

6. adam on July 19, 2012 9:15 am

All- Thanks for the comments!!

7. Jenifer on July 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Congratulations on your milestone….that’s wonderful. What kind of boot do you have? I’m about a week and a half away from possibly being out of the cast and I’m trying to figure what boot to order as the Dr. give the standard deRoyal and that givens me all sorts of problems. Tried everything with it and had to get out of it early…it was not good for me.

8. Adam on July 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Jenifer-
    I have the bledsoe achilles boot. Other than the knee pains, its as comfortable as can be, considering.. I started out with 2 heel lifts in and now down to 1. Expect to go to nutral in 2 weeks.

Name (required)